Nordstrom

2,607 Reviews

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom
Blake W. Nordstrom
1,726 Ratings

Pros
  • Also, this company likes to promote from within so that does add some motivation (in 110 reviews)

• People are generally representative of the Nordstrom customer service culture (in 206 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be difficult at times especially if you have children (in 97 reviews)

• You work long hours consistently, and are not compensated for working over time (in 161 reviews)

More Highlights

Assistant Buyer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Great growth opportunities if you are a driven person.

Cons

They moved the buying team from Dallas to Seattle, WA

Fun and challenging!

Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

I really like working here. I am in the cosmetics department. I have two college degrees, but I was ready for a change, so I picked up a part time job at Nordstrom. I love selling and working with the customers. A lot of the reviews talk about how cutthroat it is, and "stealing sales", but that has not been my experience. It certainly is competitive, but other staff members are genuinely honest and will help you.

Cons

If you are not used to working a shift schedule, then it can be quite challenging. It is very hard to be on your feet all day. I was not prepared for this. I went from an office job to standing all day and it has been very physically taxing. Also, I think a lot of people abuse Nordstrom's return policy, and it can hurt the sales people.

Great Company!

Pros

Awesome opportunities and a great environment for growth!

Cons

As always in retail, long hours

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great company to work for

Pros

work on commission, very concerned with employee well being

Cons

long hours and sometimes gets boring

Not so friendly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

You can have work life balance in a corporate environment

Cons

The company runs under an inverted pyramid which means the bosses don't really take ownership and lead

My experience has been very beneficial and informative.

Current Employee - Retail Management
    Current Employee - Retail Management

Pros

The freedom Nordstrom let you have is great. They really give every employee empowerment. Great environment to work in.

Cons

Working in a commission-based environment can be tough. The hours are also difficult at times, your schedule is never consistent from week to week.

"Retail Heaven"

Former Employee - Assistant Department Manager  in  Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Department Manager in Burlington, MA

Pros

The benefits are fantastic , the pay is great, and there is a lot of room for growth.

Cons

Work-life balance
    Upper management is poor, and snobby

Do not ask your employees to do things you would not expect to do.

If you understand what the job is, and have a great mindset, you'll excel.

Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate  in  Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Chandler, AZ

Pros

The company has a wonderful structure as far as valuing all employees. They have an "inverted pyramid" where the sales people are on the top and the management is on the bottom. Obviously, this does not mean you don't work under someone, but it means the company sees your personal success as important and wants to hire quality people and help them advance if they would like. Everyone "above me" (managers, HR, etc.) treats me very well and makes me feel important. This idea that the sales people really are the reason for success is wonderful because its true. The Nordstrom family may have started and own this business, but if it wasn't for the great people they have working for the company it would not be thriving. Treating us so well is why Nordstrom does better than other competitors. The commission allows you to make more if you work harder, which is hard, but if you build up quality customer relations and learn to sell in other departments you do really well. If you are at a smaller store it may be harder to make money but my store is the lowest of the three tiers in volume and I've noticed with different staffing and polishing my technique that we are very able to exceed goals. The customer service, although meant for customers, has been the biggest benefit to me. Although I get returns more than other places would, the low restrictions on the things I can do for my customers service-wise make my customers very happy and therefore they come back to me and stay with the company. Hardly anyone gets angry with me and I am always able to surprise them with what I an do for them and it really is fulfilling. The company doesn't focus on tedious methods of bringing about success. They push opening accounts and selling more but its all in very effective ways. I don't find myself rolling my eyes at the managers pushing goals because they make it reasonable and possible. We also have a great web and logistics department that helps me oder things that customers can't and really makes sure to stay on top of the customers getting their product. I love this company and I don't often find myself admiring authority in retail because they usually come across as irritating and redundant but this company makes me feel comfortable and most of all respected while I do my job.

Cons

The biggest issue I have had with this company personally is the low communication I have with buyers and getting product restocked. Our store is the smallest in the state and the smallest level of volume of the Nordstrom full-line stores so naturally our store has less product/selection, but its incredibly frustrating hearing several customers a day ask for brands or styles and we just don't carry them. People complain and say they will go to the other location and it hurts our sales. If we wouldn't be able to sell these items that makes sense but clearly people are willing to buy considering they constantly ask and complain. We don't do great in these areas because we can't. Yes in the past having a certain brand didn't do well but each year or so things change, economy changes, and so do trends. Our customers average house-hold income in the area has increased and therefore we need to cater to their interests. I don't know who is responsible for stocking the product or ordering it but I'm upset I can't get to him/her easily. An easier open ended communication would be great. Also, with training, you get an extensive training time but still by department, theres different people in charge of training and theres no special certification to ensure all employees are trained the same. I was taught to do orders one way while someone was taught a different way so its hard to manage operation when its slightly different. I love that the company trusts me but I would have liked being told that beyond the card stating "use good judgement" as an employee handbook that I was told there are real rules on the employee site. I know its not strict but certain guild lines i didn't find out about until later. I know this isn't huge for me, but a lot of people complain about it, but returns can sometimes be unfair. I suggest if theres a situation where the return is fraudulent or the customer was unjustly returning an item-- i.e. wearing for 5 years and "getting bored with it" that the return not count against the employee. Obviously I understand its life and it happens and the great return policy is justified by the fact that people shop here more because of the service and therefore returns are compensated for, but sometimes people are just being disrespectful of the company being so lenient. Returning worn merchandise for no reason that I can't resell when I spent an hour selling to you, ruining my sales is kind of annoying. Or if its fraudulent. How was I supposed to know the person would return the item for cash. Its things like that but overall no one can blame the company, its what we believe in. But overall the hours I am not upset about or the being on my feet because its RETAIL and people don't get it that its hard labor. A surgeon doesn't complain about a six hour brain surgery because thats the job. Just like this is retail and thats how my job is. Only minor tweaks, the company is amazing.

Help your employees help their customers by taking feedback from us and customers about the merchandise we carry as far as brands, amounts, and styles. The customers tastes change along with their wallet. Maybe a lloyd store can afford some more designer; you may not think so because volume hasn't increased enough for it but maybe thats because they continuously go to the Elmer store or online to get that merchandise now. A trial run of better product would be awesome. But keep doing what you're doing, I really feel supported/important to such a big company.

Best Retail Place to work from experience

Former Employee - Sales Person
    Former Employee - Sales Person

Pros

You can actually make money if you are good at selling, you have access to great discounts at a place you typically could not always shop at, you make some good friends, there is upward mobility.

Cons

It's retail, you work weekends, deal with rude customers, and are on your feet all day.

Don't take your employees sales. It's rude.

Great place to grow your business with the right attitude

Pros

You can make as much as you want with the right attitude.

The resource are all there and can be utilized if your patient and take the time to use them to help you.

Great benefits for medical, 401k, stock purchasing

Cons

Long holiday hours

Disconnect between some upper management, buyers, regional and the department managers and sales people

Having TRUELY defective merchandise come out of your pay. The salesperson didn't make the item that fell apart prematurely, the time should be paid regardless. Maybe a credit to your pay check once the item goes through quality control and it is deemed defective. The company gets reimbursed by the manufacturer, why not the employee as well?

Walk the floors, engage SERIOUSLY with the employee. Walk the stockrooms. Have monthly meetings with mangers, top department selling employees with the buyers and regionals to better resolve issues and product stock issues. When the Nordstrom boys visit do the same so they can address things first hand if it was warranted.

More product knowledge meetings. New hires get a 2-3 day crash course to learn how the register works, but have know knowledge of WHAT THEY ARE SELLING. Customer service begins with being able to sell and recommend the CORRECT products for your customer. This is especially important in Shoes, Lingerie, Cosmetics, Jewelry and Men's Suits. You do have to be certified to sell in these departments but product knowledge is equally important.

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!