Nordstrom

Nordstrom Reviews

3.8

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom
Blake W. Nordstrom

Pros
  • Also, this company likes to promote from within so that does add some motivation (in 129 reviews)

• People are generally representative of the Nordstrom customer service culture (in 238 reviews)

Cons
  • Variability in hours worked can make for difficult work life balance at times (in 120 reviews)

• The long hours and returns from customers abusing the companies return policy (in 184 reviews)

More Highlights

A solid career with a solid run company

Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

Great mentoring by management; good work/life balance; care about their employees.

Cons

Depending on the role, retail hours can get old in a hurry!

Keep up the peformance feedback programs, allowing for training and development, along with goal setting - all very useful and effective.

great start, could be great long term

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Nordstrom

Pros

great benefits. You can grow with the company if you want. Great place to begin retail career because of how favorably its looked upon.

Cons

long hours at times. A lot of office politics. Low pay when youve started

just because someone been with the company for a long time does not mean they are the most qualified. Start looking more at how much education and previous work experience candidates for promotion have.

Overworked and under payed.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom

Pros

The ability to create your own paycheck.

Cons

They ask you for too much, and don't pay enough in return. Expectations raise, pay and the amount of time you have stay the same.

It's ironic that in a time when we are expected to develop future leaders, you are losing so many to overwork and underpay. You ask too much, and (now) give too little in return. We feel guilty when we leave at 5p, when we were there at 6.30a. It is in our schedule to work overtime , yet you speak of a work life balance. Meetings here, meetings there, yet we still must meet somehow make the time to meet our individual sales goals. You increase those expectations while at the same time, take away our support.

Good starter, but not enough to stay on your feet

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Salem, OR

I have been working at Nordstrom

Pros

One of the most recognized retail stores in the country. As an employee, one is able to create connections with their customers that can lead to better things. Respectable employer

Cons

Being in a position where one only works from commission can be hard (especially when economy is bad). This can cause a lot of stress and sometimes may not be enough to pay bills. Some fellow employees will also take your sales, which creates tension among sales people and even between managers. The stress to sell retail cards is also a huge thing that nordstrom pushes, but can become overwhelming and tiring when 10 people tell me the same thing in one day (The "TPS Reports" from Office Space).

Be firm with decisions, be knowledgeable with company guidelines, uphold the rules that one enforces.

Not exactly what I thought it'd be.

Current Employee - Personal Shopper
    Current Employee - Personal Shopper

I have been working at Nordstrom

Pros

great atmosphere for someone who loves fashion, they focus on using your good judgment and being able to create your own path

Cons

i found that the opportunity of growth was actually quite limited. it was a disappointment, because of everything i'd heard about the company that made me want to apply to begin with. however, now that i'm employed elsewhere, if my "dream" job were to appear at Nordstrom, I would re-consider applying, because I absolutely love fashion and it's a great atmosphere for someone who has a passion for it.

I know that naturally, an applicant with a lot of experience is desirable, but sometimes, if that person has the will and enough drive to succeed, giving that a chance may be worth it.

Nordstrom is hard work but worth it in the long run.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom

Pros

Nordstrom is a company that promotes from within, understanding the Nordstrom culture is a valuble asset for growth within the company. Nordstrom has a good benefits program and gives back to employees when the company achieves success.

Cons

Nordstom has very high expectations of employees in leadership roles. It is expected to work long hard hours; this is an expectation if you want to persue a career with the company. The expectation is to work over 40 hours a week when in a management role. This is not very condusive to an active social life. It is typical for employees to be promoted based on relationships with in the company rather than hard work.

Senior manage should sepn more time focusing on the positive perfomances of the employees. Senior management should avoid patronizing many employees when attempting to inspire.

Fashionable and customer service-oriented individuals will thrive here.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

I was fortunate enough to work in the Flagship store under the tutelage of some amazing managers. Everyone fosters a great sense of 'Nordstrom culture' through morning all-store meetings, department meetings and employee recognition.

Cons

Everyone is pretty competitive and there is the unwritten rule of dressing to impress (but then again this is sales, right?). There is a certain level of pettiness a

Awesome company, keep up the great work!

"get money.."

Current Employee - Sales Person in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Person in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom

Pros

Its a good place to make money.

Cons

It's very very hard to get health benefits!! I hate it

respect should be demanded from all employees!

A great company to work for

Former Employee - 'Anonymous' in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - 'Anonymous' in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

Inverse Pyramid is real. Major focus on the customer. Has strong culture and values and is very considerate and deliberate about decisions impacting employees and customers.

Cons

Hard to break in to the culture. Some people very resistant to considering new ideas and change. Need a bit more awareness and focus on the outside world..especially competitors, and changes driven by technology

Develop a holistic company strategy including a vision around customer experience, technology, organization, recruiting, cultural and working environment of the future. Most of strategy is currently store based and financial and doesn't address broader aspects of future business change likely to be necessary.

Nordstrom Buying Office

Former Employee - Replenishment Buyer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Replenishment Buyer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

You get to be a part of one of the leading apparel retailers. A variety of classes are offered to advance skills, and most people have started working on the floor so they are very conscious of how their work effects the rest of the company. Their customer service philosophy is not only extended to their shoppers, but it is a mentality in working environment too. You don't have to fight very hard to get the information you need.

Cons

Promotions are sometimes offered because of tenure and not necessarily because of an applicable skill set. The teamwork across the company usually helped cover and build those skills up though.

none