Nordstrom Reviews

2,645 Reviews

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom
Blake W. Nordstrom
1,747 Ratings

Pros
  • Also, this company likes to promote from within so that does add some motivation (in 110 reviews)

• People are generally representative of the Nordstrom customer service culture (in 206 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be difficult at times especially if you have children (in 97 reviews)

• You work long hours consistently, and are not compensated for working over time (in 161 reviews)

More Highlights

Management

I have been working at Nordstrom

Pros

Some of the management is actually very easy to talk to.

Cons

They are corrupt,in a way that they aren't very direct and will have other managers from different departments micromanage. Some managers don't really take the time out to fully evaluate a situation.

Realize that it's not always the sales associates that aren't making sales, its the products that are carried that SUCK.

Expect a wild ride - worth it to have the name on my resume

Current Employee - NPG - Product Developer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - NPG - Product Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked for Nordstrom Product Group as a Technical Designer and Product Developer. Each team I worked on had it's own culture and exciting growth within the divisions. Quarterly meetings with awards and recognition, bonus program for meeting your department goals, a lot of passionate people working hard to deliver great product. Factory base is stable and it's rather easy to place product and move it around with competitive pricing between vendors. Most of my direct managers were very reasonable and helped employees have as best work/life balance as possible.

Cons

Don't expect to travel - the seniors and management are lucky if they get 1 trip a year (coach class!!). The expectation from senior level management is set so high - most people feel that they are set up to fail regardless of how hard they work. This company will work you so so hard - anyone going in needs to know that up front. Also - DON"T expect to stay in your role for longer than 2 years. I held 4 positions in 6 years. Be prepared for reorgs and movement from team to team, even complete position changes. They put you where you are needed and you have to smile and take it to keep your job.

Consider the moral of the company and do what you can to make people want to stay. There are a lot of other companies boasting a friendly work environment and better work life balance.

Ok for those is school, or those who are reallllly patient

Current Employee - Assistant Department Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Department Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You sell more, you make more. Get to really help people and make them feel good.

Cons

So many..I feel like the company no longer appreciates their employees like they were once known for. The fact that money can be taken out of your commission check for returns up to a year is ridiculous, and upper management could care less. They are a very distrusting company and its all about who you can get in good with..not how good of a manager you actually are.

You're not going to listen anyhow

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great training

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate

I worked at Nordstrom full-time

Pros

great training, love the discount

Cons

taking a long time for promotion even after NFL

Fair treatment

Only worth it if you don't work with sharks.

I worked at Nordstrom part-time

Pros

commission, and its mall retail if you like that kind of thing. Awesome Christmas parties.

Cons

can have terrible co-workers, terrible benefits system, standard mall retail.

you need to change your mission statement and find out who you are now, because the Nordstrom you once were can no longer exist in this world today, and the longer you wait to find out the faster you will fall.

Has it's highs and lows.

Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for less than a year

Pros

When the sales are great, your paycheck is great. You can really make a lot of money when it's busy, as well as connections with customers.

Cons

There is a lot of fraud that goes on, and Nordstrom's return policy makes it very easy for people to take advantage of sales and associates take the hit for it. I don't feel as if management/HR really cares about their employees, as far as supporting them with issues they may have. This is how we make a living, and being told to "move on" from a horrible selling day/pay period from a salaried employee isn't exactly the best advice or support.

Hectic, frustrating and not worth the time.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for less than a year

Pros

The only pros to this job is the positivity they attempt to portray within the work environment. Lots of positives given to you from the very beginning...

Cons

The department that I worked in had such a catty atmosphere around it. Not enough time was put into worrying about the work environment itself but rather, bombarding customers with calls reminding them to come spend money. I was often hung up on during our "10-a-day" sessions. You have no life outside of work due to the hours you are scheduled and how inconsiderately so. I would not suggest anyone work here if they are hoping for a work-life balance and money. They make all of these promises about how much you will make and nothing seems to be followed through.

Put people into a management position only if they can handle it. It's frustrating when the person in charge has more of a "chicken with their head cut off" appeal than those working under them.

Good company to work for.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for more than a year

Pros

The discount, training, daily interaction with customers

Cons

Selling the nordy credit card,

Worst Company to work for by far!!

Current Employee - Barista  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Barista in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Pay, discounts at Store, Rack, E-Bar and Cafe and thats it. Benefits are good also, generous healthcare. Mostly monetary benefits.

Cons

Company culture, cliquey, fake management and sales people. No sense of community or equality. Not professional at all, very social if you know the right people or right look they want. Silent politics and hidden rules.

Need to improve dynamics of company to accept all employees and promote from within.

Great company if you enjoy competitive sales

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for less than a year

Pros

Commission is great when the store is busy and has great foot traffic

Cons

management, time-off policies, return policy can effect sales drastically, no money to be made if store is slow with no foot traffic

encourage more employees to apply to FNL, focus on employees skills and see what path would benefit them instead of just letting them quit when they are fed up

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!