Nordstrom Reviews

Reset
3.6
Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom
Blake W. Nordstrom

Pros
  • They always promote from within the company (in 129 reviews)

• Great customer service training (in 238 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be difficult at times especially if you have children (in 120 reviews)

• long hours that can be draining (in 184 reviews)

1. Nordstrom was a great a employer

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They provide a lot of training, great compensation in the first mall I worked at, great company acknowledgment and awards,. Nordstrom really does a good job of rewarding hard working employees. I received a lot of recognition including gift cards, free stuff, and nordstrom bucks. It had a great atmosphere and it was easy to earn more than 50K a year.

Cons

Not all Nordstrom's do as well as the others depending on the demographics. In the first mall I worked at it was easy to make 50K a year. In the 2nd mall I worked out the traffic was less, and it was difficult to make anything. There was a lot of turnover because of this. This particular mall was more of job rather than career option.

Advice to Management

In demographics where the Nordstrom does make as much, perhaps compensate with higher percentage of commissions. This would improve work culture and give workers more reasons to work towards the goals. The difference between two malls was huge because of the foot traffic. I was a top seller in both malls and the difference between paychecks was vast.

2. Salesperson

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Shoes in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Shoes in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job based off of straight commission, you make your own paycheck depending on your personal motivation. Opportunity to meet and assist great clients and build long term relationships.

Cons

Some head butting on the sales floor, which is common with any commission based jobs. Management can be very political at times.

Advice to Management

To be consistent.

3. Chill place to work

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

Pros

Good benefits, decent pay, and easy job

Cons

stuck up people, a lot of gossip and work politics.

Advice to Management

Relax!

5. great benefits

Current Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great earning potential Full time = health and dental Stock option,401k matching

Cons

Always pushing us to cold call customers Always an event They cut it hours without notice

Advice to Management

Be open to opinions

6. visual merchandisier

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

i gained a lot of experience working for this company. Having Nordstrom on my resume helped me get other positions in the visual world. The discount was an amazing added bonus.

Cons

I did not like working thanksgiving day to set up holiday. I did not like working very late on christmas eve to set up for sales. I truly hated all the night shifts. My manager was a nightmare as well. the regionals play favorites a lot. you are either in or you are truly out.

7. Dog Eat Dog

Former Employee - Luxury Handbag Sales in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Luxury Handbag Sales in San Diego, CA

Pros

Beautiful designer products.

Cons

Very little direction or knowledge from department and store management. Everyone is on commission and unwilling to help each other. High return rates went into your personal commission.

8. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

~ I enjoyed working with people of all ages ~ I was excited to work on commission and had fun with the friendly competition ~It was great to be able to root my team on and be able to have them root me on ~I loved that there were so many other departments; where you could cross-sell or move up to ~Always got paid fairly ~Compensation and benefits were one of the best perks about this job ~Loved being pushed by my managers to get ahead as they showed me my progress i had been making ~Thought it was a fantastic idea that the employees got rewarded for accomplishing certain tasks that our job required us to do ~Anytime I struggled with something or had questions i could always go to a few of my teammates, HR, managers and so on

Cons

A few of the cons about this job are: ~Not getting the full training to do my job ~Being trained with several other girls without getting hands on experience ~It was difficult learning new things and how to do them in front of customers who were getting impatient ~Not everyone on my team was as nice or helpful as i would have liked ~However that inspired me to be nice to the newer girls and show them the ropes ~I felt that not everyone did there job correctly; as if they were able to slack off and get away with it

Advice to Management

Be patient, nice and understanding to new employees who might need extra one-on-one help with certain tasks and daily resposibilities

9. Great Company, Great People

Current Employee - Personal Stylist Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Personal Stylist Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is very well run and store managers are all nice and keep everyone in the loop in regard to hours and events coming up. The discount is decent (20%) but not compared to a lot of other stores who's employees get 30%-50%.

Cons

Competition for commission can be very intense. Also in some of the more upscale departments, the customers can be rude/ condescending.

10. Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Management in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Management in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits and ability to make your own paycheck

Cons

Work tends to consume your other obligations.

Advice to Management

N/A All management is brilliant

11. Good College Job

Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

Pros

Gain Sales experience and can make ok money

Cons

Hard to get time off

Showing 87 of 4,438 reviews