Nordstrom Reviews in San Diego, CA

2,821 Reviews

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom
Blake W. Nordstrom
1,841 Ratings

Pros
  • Also, this company likes to promote from within so that does add some motivation (in 122 reviews)

• People are generally representative of the Nordstrom customer service culture (in 229 reviews)

Cons
  • Variability in hours worked can make for difficult work life balance at times (in 115 reviews)

• The long hours and returns from customers abusing the companies return policy (in 177 reviews)

More Highlights

60 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Nordstrom Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Escondido, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Escondido, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Commission based.
    10% of shoes purchase.
    Discount.

Cons

no hourly pay.
    was not always busy, so some pay checks were very low.
    irate customers.

Needs more encouragement for their employees to grow with the company.

Good Experience

Former Employee - Seasonal in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Worked as a seasonal employee, good training and fun people to work with, decent discounts.

Cons

Management always on you about sales. If you do well one day, the next you could get so many returns that the day before doesn't even matter. Stressful when it comes to how much you think you're going to make on your next paycheck. Encouraged to wear heels for 9 hours!! Not fun.

Great learning experience. Best place to work if you have to work in retail

Former Employee - Department Manager in Escondido, CA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Escondido, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

help slingshot to more career opportunities. Customer servive.

Cons

Customers never change they are always going to be a little crazy.

Don't keep everyhting a secret. When you have had workign people let them excel.

If you thought about "growing" with Nordstrom... Think Again!!!

Former Employee - Department Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked for Nordstrom for 5 years. Good Benefits. I have been able to move all over the country with Nordstrom paying relocation (Which they no longer do!)
    I work with a lot of great people going through the same struggle.

Cons

There has been a restructure of the management structure. I walked into a meeting with 21 Managers and 9 left with their jobs. That trickles upward, 21 Regional down to 9. This is the same across the country. I know people who have been with the company for 20 years applying for the same job i had when I was 21. THIS IS NOT THE GREAT COMPANY YOU HEARD ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO!!! The changes are very sad. The company that I was so proud to stand behind when I started has completely changed.

Things that have been taken away in the last few years...

-Line sales for employees
    -Half the Management/Regional/Director jobs across the company.
    -401K matching no longer guaranteed!!!
    -Relocation no longer paid for.
    -The whole structure on which I was paid was changed, no one found out until after it was in effect.
    -Profit Sharing... gone!
    -Holiday pay for managers (you are "allowed"to take an extra day off with-in 30 days... Yeah right!)
    -Not allowed 2 days off in a row.
    -Not allowed Saturdays off.
    -Managers not paid for overtime.
    -Bonus structure decreased.
    -Expect to work every black Friday, Christmas Eve, day after Christmas, No matter how high in the company you get! (don't even ask to go home for the holidays!)

Treat your people better! Thank you for the benefits, but changing our pay after its already in effect. Cutting jobs of people who have been in their roles for years or moved across the country for their jobs is unexceptionable. I hope the people making these decisions have a hard time sleeping at night.

Ok for those is school, or those who are reallllly patient

Current Employee - Assistant Department Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Department Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You sell more, you make more. Get to really help people and make them feel good.

Cons

So many..I feel like the company no longer appreciates their employees like they were once known for. The fact that money can be taken out of your commission check for returns up to a year is ridiculous, and upper management could care less. They are a very distrusting company and its all about who you can get in good with..not how good of a manager you actually are.

You're not going to listen anyhow

Amazing place to work

Former Employee - Salesperson in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Salesperson in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nordstrom is an awesome place to work. The working atmosphere is great, co-workers are for the most part really fun, management is supportive and helpful, and the company empowers it employees in a lot of ways. Also it is very fun to always be surrounded by all the latest fashion!

Cons

You have to work a lot of hours to keep up with sales levels. Customers can sometimes be rude or demanding and speak down to you. You just have to always give your best service and smile through it.

Great company if you know the right people.

Current Employee - Barista in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have worked in 3 position in over 3 years this is my point of view of the company if you work in the restaurant/ coffee division. Store discount, benefits, flexibility with schedule,daily tips,Cafe/Coffee Bar employess can eat for 50% off when on shift.

Cons

Management or lead positions do not get any training in proper communication skills. Others will get promoted because of seniority not for their merits. Sales or store management over looks food service employees, not respected as much as those on the sales floor.

They should promote from within and pay more attention to prior or continuing education.Treat your employees fairly. Say what you mean and mean what you say.

Great company-Growth opportunity halts when economy is down.

Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can make as much money as long as you put in a lot of effort. A lot of training if you want it. Can be have great co-workers who become friends depending on the department. Has health benefits and a great discount.

Cons

Some sales people can be petty over who is their customer. Little room for growth in this new economy. Assistant managers do not make much money and don't have a lot of time to sell. It can be hard to switch departments if you're a good sales person.

Busy and fun work experience!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in National City, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in National City, CA

I worked at Nordstrom as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Definitely a great work environment--friendly coworkers and management! It was busy work but the great customers and coworkers made it very fun and worth it as a work experience, in my opinion. Can't forget the employee discount, which is a big plus for me (not to mention you're bound to see great finds while you're reorganizing and doing go-backs, or if you like to shop during your breaks). You can also enjoy a small commission from opening Rewards accounts, so if you're great at selling, you'll be able to rack up a decent amount of extra money especially during big sales events.

Cons

You'll have to be more flexible with your work schedule especially during the holiday season. The training is more learn-on-the-go and hands-on so you'll have to be a fast learner, but that goes for most retail positions.

Management is EVERYTHING

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

commission, sales training, resume builder, retail and sales experience, customer service training

Cons

Poor Management, No Sale is good enough, unrealistic expectations for daily sales, Poor interpersonal relations, long hours, late nights, you are a small fish in a big sea

encourage your sales teams, praise them for reaching goals, have better accountability for standards of management, and don't use Scare tactics for getting sales.