Nordstrom Reviews in San Francisco, CA

2,854 Reviews

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom
Blake W. Nordstrom
1,858 Ratings

Pros
  • Also, this company likes to promote from within so that does add some motivation (in 124 reviews)

• People are generally representative of the Nordstrom customer service culture (in 232 reviews)

Cons
  • Variability in hours worked can make for difficult work life balance at times (in 117 reviews)

• The long hours and returns from customers abusing the companies return policy (in 177 reviews)

More Highlights

91 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

They used to care so much more...

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you can qualify, the benefits are great. But under the new system, its harder than ever to get those benefits. Plenty of opportunities, you just need to pick one. Also you discount is a huge plus.

Cons

You never know how many hours you'll work each pay period and very rarely the opportunity for a consistent schedule. The constant sales make it hard to encourage customers to buy full priced merchandise. People who've been with the company for many years constantly talk about how much better it used to be. Management used to reward employees for hard work and dedication. The return policy will never change, but it makes it hard to make money. The purchase stays linked to the associate for a year, meaning if the item is returned 364 days later, it comes out of their paycheck.

Look beyond the numbers of your employees. Their PTR isn't everything. If a candidate shows management potential, don't shoo them away from FNL just because their numbers aren't strong. If they're not succeeding, find a way to help them instead of merely reprimanding them until their numbers improve.

Sales associate

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The discount was extremely lower than any other company I've heard of, catty work environment, people can steal sales,

Cons

Some managers are supportive as well as other sales associates, fast paced work environment, chance to move up, high turnover rate, store managers and HR representatives are the best

More incentives for employees. Employees look at Nordstrom as a temporary job and not more of a career path to succeed in

Good Company, horrible HR department

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good energy and people to be around

Cons

Customers are horrible and HR is really unorganized

Hire qualified HR managers

Good Learning Place and Growth Potential

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Agent in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Agent in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good promotions, training, discount, benefits, pay

Cons

understaffed and underbudgeted, constant policy change. Need more incentives when jobs are done above expectation.

Do not get mad at employess when shirnk goes up when there has been a cut in staff. We do what we can with what we have.

Good

Former Employee - Department Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Discount, open door policy, great co-workers

Cons

Treat customers better then employees

Great Place to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company has a great reputation and once you are in you are in. It is company who truly promotes within the company. The energy is always positive and even though it is commissioned based it isn't a cut throat type of competition. The company focus is customer service and if you do plan on being in retail for your career it is such an important part of understanding strong business model.

Cons

There isn't a set schedule and managers are very rarely concerned about working around your schedule but are considerate of theirs. Since the company does promote within there are times when salesman are promoted into managerial positions and are not fit for the position at all. It is proven just because you can make sales on the sales floor that does not make you a effective leader.

N/A

Nordstrom Sales and Support Position Review

Current Employee - Rotating Sales and Support in Corte Madera, CA
    Current Employee - Rotating Sales and Support in Corte Madera, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employee discount :)
    Employee thank you lunch in
    Nice work environment
    Felt respected

Cons

Pressure on sales associate to sell unreasonable amounts of merchandise during the anniversary sale at least

only okay

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Corte Madera, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Corte Madera, CA

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (more than an year)

Pros

when i began at nordstrom in the fashion jewelry department in 2005, i was paid an extremely decent hourly wage with commission on top of that. it was the perfect part-time job for me while i was in school. i was able to save a decent amount of money at the time. the discount isn't great, but it becomes great when/if you buy stuff on sale!

Cons

nordstrom cares mostly about the customer, meaning the employees are usually shafted.

we had a really terrible store manager who was feared instead of embraced. everyone called her the princess of darkness because she always wore all black, paired with a sullen expression.

managers are different for every department. i had three different managers: one good, one marginal, one a disaster. one of my managers (a female) made a number of inappropriate comments to me which i never reported because i was planning on leaving anyway. she also claimed i never showed up on my last day of work, which wasn't true because i was cashed out for my last day of work as i was leaving (was protocol for exiting employees at the time).

things at my nordstrom seemed to always be a hot mess. who knows if matters have improved.

treat your employees a little better! get behind your sales staff instead of automatically assuming they've done something wrong.

I've worked for this company for 2 years and I love it more and more every day.

Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Love the Nordstrom culture and the way that they treat their employees. Great benefits and pay, awesome discount and looks great on your resume.

Cons

Commissioned checks, but you get out of it what you put into it. You determine your paycheck.

Very positive employer

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very positive environment! I always enjoyed going to work. I love commission since it motivates you to work harder and provide the best service you can to the customer. They not only have loyal employers but loyal shoppers.

Cons

Hard to not purchase all the new things that come in on a daily basis!

Keep doing what you are doing and you always have a loyal following!