Nordstrom Reviews

3.5
Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom
Blake W. Nordstrom
2,239 Ratings

Lots of impactful projects to work on, great business partners with both vision of the future and a good dose of reality

Current Employee - Program Manager III in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager III in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people. The company is growing like crazy and there is a great outlook over the next 5-10 years!

Cons

My role for the past 2 years has not been clearly defined. Constant organizational flux.

2. Great Environment, but only okay compensation

Current Employee - Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I work on an amazing team where everyone actually likes each other. We have a lot of great happy hours and team events. The work life balance is perfect.

Cons

Health benefits are the worst, and for most it is like taking a $5k pay cut. Choices are aetna and group health both will cost $400/month in premiums. Aetna deductible will be $4 to 7k.

Salary is probably below market rate average if you are internally promoted, but if you are external hire that came from company with better compensation, then you can get more.

The inverted pyramid is preached that importance of role are the teams that are closer to customer, but compensation doesn't exactly reflect that attitude.

3. A lot of growth-sales

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom

Pros

Great benefits
    Takes care or employees
    Promoting is fast and there's a lot of growth
    Doesn't require a degree
    Everyday is a new challenge

Cons

Commission is hard especially in slower seasons
    The base is minimum wage
    Hours are retail hours

5. You Can Retire Here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Speaking from NPG, it's generally a very positive work environment where life-work balance is respected. The company values its customers and employees, strives to support them, and takes feedback seriously. This is one of those rare companies that you can stick with throughout your career and retire from.

Cons

As with many corporate atmospheres, it's often sink or swim. The nature of the work can be very demanding, and if you don't share the company's values or just can't perform, you will be pushed out. People don't necessarily get fired—they quit.

6. Stable, well-olied machine, highly bureaucratic.

Former Contractor - Graphic Designer in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Graphic Designer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Large company, offers stability and foresight far into the future as far as planning goes. Some fire drills, but not the norm.

Cons

You'll feel a little like a number. Rat race, 9-5, that kind of thing. Not a lot of diversity in terms or positions/roles... people get pigeon-holed.

Get to know your employees and teams. People don't want to feel dispensable.

Great mobility. Low pay.

Current Employee - Human Res in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Human Res in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Career mobility. Work environment. Nice c

Cons

Pay is not competitive. The longer you work their the lower your income to market ratio goes.

Pay the existing employees well,
    Not just
    The new ones.

8. I worked part-time at Nordstrom in Downtown Seattle while I attended school at the University of Washington.

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The store manager was very personable, and all employees were very nice. If you requested time off far enough in advance, it usually wasn't an issue.

Cons

Even though I only asked to work part-time while I attended school, some weeks I was scheduled for 30 hours. My manager didn't really understand what it meant to have a student working part-time.

I think there could be a better system in place for managers to monitor their employee's performance. In my year of working at Nordstrom, I sat down with my manager only 2 times to discuss goals, and how I should be performing.

9. Cultural Shift

Former Employee - Information Technology Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Information Technology Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company encourages ownership of your business.

Cons

Work-life balance is theory only. Compensation model does not support agile concept.

Listen to the worker-bees, they have great ideas and understand and live the process.

10. Solid company, all Contracts

Former Contractor - Editor in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Editor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

They offered great pay, my own space and extended my contract several times over the course of 11 months. THe people were great, company culture is strong.

Cons

They only hire temps, no benefits and it's kind of sad to say goodbye when it's all said and done. I wish they'd be more flexible about opening them up in to FT positions.

Be more organized. Due to the corporate nature of the company, sometimes by the time an idea has reached hte top, it's no longer relevant.

Great Company, many positions to choose from

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked for Nordstrom for 17 years now, on the floor for 14 of those. There are many positions and different divisions of this company you can work in. If you like variety, Nordstrom has it. It also has good benefits and the emphasis on giving the best customer service you can is upheld in every area of the company.

Cons

The challenges I ran across were finding a good work-life balance. I have also run into being scrutinized so heavily by your metrics, that everything else you bring to your position is over-looked. The company has become so big, that there is no way everyone who works for it can exude the culture that Nordstrom has been known for decades now.

I would say to always value your employees and add that personal element to how you handle any situation. Yes, this is a retail company and its success is based off of sales, but behind every sale is an employee who started a relationship with a customer which translated into a sale.