Nordstrom

2,977 Reviews

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom
Blake W. Nordstrom
1,928 Ratings

Pros
  • Also, this company likes to promote from within so that does add some motivation (in 129 reviews)

• People are generally representative of the Nordstrom customer service culture (in 238 reviews)

Cons
  • Variability in hours worked can make for difficult work life balance at times (in 120 reviews)

• The long hours and returns from customers abusing the companies return policy (in 184 reviews)

More Highlights

308 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great culture, would love more options for working moms

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

For a large company, it's very connected (could be a pro or a con)
    Great growth potential
    Great executive team with the customer at the heart of every decision

Cons

Limited to no options for part time or flex schedule for working mothers or others who would like this flexibility.
    Not a lot of leadership development unless you are at the bottom of the pyramid
    Lack of formal development, mentorship or leadership training

Think outside the traditional view of what a "leader" looks like. Provide more opportunities to contribute and empower developing or emerging leaders. They don't always come in the perfect package; everyone has something to work on.

POV/Petites Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Loved my co-workers. Loved the atmosphere

Cons

Didn't like my manager. Long days.

Great company that will be around for another 100 years

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance, Nice co-workers, Job stability, Employee discount, Sample sales

Cons

Slow to accept change, lack of diversity, slightly outdated technology

Invest in the people you bring on. Give them the resources and support to bring about the necessary changes.

Technology is Lagging, Antiquated Corporate Structure

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Many good and very helpful people, who truly care about doing the right thing and making sure the customer is always put first. A fun place if you like fashion and the discount is nice, but unless you are in a management position (both in stores and corporate) the discount is 20%, rather than 33%.

Cons

Limited bonus structure, extremely nepotistic, limited PTO (2 weeks to start, way below area average). Technology division is generally disorganized and infrastructure is antiquated, though company knows that they need to improve and are putting resources on it. Even in Technology many people came from the stores, which they lack the planning skills necessary to roll-out projects or project manage.

The IT Department has changed in the last couple of years

Former Employee - Senior Test Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Test Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of challenges and opportunities, smart and hard-working employees, high level of technology development, stable company

Cons

IT Department has gone from a very collaborative, supportive, family-like environment to a very high-stress, non-supportive environment without a lot of realistic planning and direction or the correct number of resources and time to perform a job with the level of quality expected.

Get back to the old Nordstrom-Family Values with employees and projects. There's too much to do, and too little resources and time to perform the job with the level of quality that is expected.

Changing Business Model, Losing the Niche that made Nordstrom Special

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, discount, benefits, 401k

Cons

Unqualified Management, Constant Lack of Inventory, New hire training is non existent, They want to cut costs buy cutting quality with small details while allowing 20 + people on a single floor with no passion to make money. Huge overhead with positions that are not necessary..

I think most employees understand that Brick and Mortar retail is changing. With so many options and e-commerce, being competitive is a good thing but don't forget people still like to come into the stores and touch and try things on.... Most customers are opting for Nieman Marcus or Macys because they actually have inventory. If you are going to make the full line stores warehouses then do it. My prediction is instead of saving the thing that made Nordstrom special, they are going to continue to close stores, open Racks and cut employee benefits and pay... Sad.

Would have been amazing if my counter manager was a team player, but she was always out for only herself.

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most people were amazing, able to get breaks due to all the staff on the floor (whereas in the past I was employed with a lot of companies whom refuse to schedule enough labor hours), great incentives in the cosmetics department, loved offering samples to customers via mail/follow ups with customers - being able to build great relationships and client base was awesome, hourly wage plus commission in cosmetics was great.

Cons

Management did not train, AT ALL. Too worried about their own agenda, no communication unless it had to do with pushing sales - even unnecessary ones which would obviously turn into returns which, to me, defeats the purpose. I want my clients to be happy with their product then come back for more and other items. I was unable to continue due to the lack of effort on the managers part to pass on knowledge of the basic job duties and requirements - ridiculous actually.

Managers should be required to properly train all employees despite how busy it is. To schedule the first day of training (shadow day) on the first day of a huge event is not very professional - it's simply looking out for one's best interest to gain assistance. I should have taken that as a hint to return to my former employer, but I assumed it to be a fluke. In the long run this lack of common sense really caused all parties to suffer rather than have an opportunity to thrive going above and beyond in all aspects. When specific duties are unknown it causes distress for everyone.

Great company to work for, good benefits

Former Employee - Cashier in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers and management, looks great on resume and its possible to move up the ladder if you stick with it

Cons

High pressures to make daily sales goals, hard to work enough hours to get benefits if you only work part time.

Can't wait to get out

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- sample sales. you can score some great deals.
    - increased associate discounts at certain times of the year.
    - nice but clique-y colleagues.
    - nice merchandise.
    - associate discount applies to the discount price (if it's on sale).
    - great views of seattle @ 865.
    - feels like nordstrom's trying to offer better perks... a shuttle runs from 865 to 864, workout classes in 803.

Cons

where do i begin...
    - old technology. and i mean old. if you're a peon like me, don't expect a phone with caller ID. you also get a desktop, not a laptop. no access to owa or webmail. IT will tell you to just get emails sent to your phone.
    - sometimes feels like a stodgy old company that could use a breath of fresh air.
    - upper management has no idea what they're doing. inconsistent messages that change daily (if not hourly), which makes it a very frustrating work environment and inevitably leads to rework and inefficiency.
    - upper management needs to weigh in on everything even if they have little to no knowledge on the subject matter. really, does every ppt deck need to go through 3 directors before it's good to go? sets back projects and deliverables unnecessarily.
    - associate discounts for peons are 20%. managers (i believe) and above get 33%.
    - too much overhead. multiple teams doing the same work, and if things get busy, the solution is to hire more people (and external candidates to boot) vs. reassessing the teams and responsibilities.
    - too much red tape. it's ridiculous. you'd think nordstrom has some top secret government secret or the cure to cancer.
    - stingy with benefits, particulary pto. you get 13 pto days unless you negotiate. and my recruiter lied to me! when interviewing, she indicated that nordstrom has unlimited sick days. find out 4 months later that it's actually 5.9 hours. you don't even get 1 full sick day.
    - lacks innovation/change is slow to come. don't come in, thinking you'll change this and that. you'll get push back, and the changes you want to implement will happen very slowly, if at all.
    - some managers and above don't get the industry. they don't understand even basic industry lingo.
    - ineffective IT. they go through a reorg like every other month, and don't expect any changes to ever be communicated to you.

i'd like to see blake, pete, erik, and jamie reassess their leadership team and remove the dead weight. teams and responsibilities can be consolidated, and let's get some smart, innovative folks in here who can take nordstrom to the next level.

Thought it was a dream job on only to find out design director and some co workers can be a nightmare!

Former Employee - Assistant Design in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Design in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Norstrom is a well established company and could potentially be a wonderful place to work...if you get in the right department and work with nice people.

Cons

Some of the people you work with can be very challenging people to work with. I still have PTSD from some experiences I had with my boss and two coworkers. They told me that I would, "never move up", "never be a designer", and sorry but, you will never achieve your goals". I even had two degrees in design from F.I.T and another accredited university, plus previous design experience. They tried to put me down and use mind games to feel superior and get themselves ahead. They crushed my spirit, drive and joy of designing.

Come review time they score you really low...so that they can get rid of you if they decide they don't want you to work there in the future. Even though you work really hard, are always on time, participate in every meeting and do everything to the best of your ability they will still try to get rid of you if they don't think you "fit in".