Nordstrom Reviews

1. Great Growth Potential If You Can Deal With Lots Of Politics

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Shoes/Cafe As Well in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate - Shoes/Cafe As Well in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

Looks great on a resume to future employers, lots of room to grow into entirely different departments within the company after six months at position, good benefits including health, 401K, stock options, and more.

Cons

Politics almost everywhere you go. You really have to drink the Kool-Aid here to succeed and its all about who you know to move up, sometimes the hours are inhuman. Not unusual for a closer to open the next day. Prepare to spend a lot of time at your store from working and then from shopping, it becomes your life

Advice to Management

More of a "WE" instead of a "I" approach with your employees would be nice. You can get singled out often from managers not making their numbers.

2. Nordstrom Tech

Current Employee - Reporting Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Reporting Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nordstrom walks its talk - the customer really does come first - makes me proud to work here. Very good benefits for a retail company. Great training for new employees and additional training available for all at any time. Plenty of opportunity to grow within the company, as Nordstrom prefers to hire from within whenever possible. Fiscally strong company with realistic growth plan so little chance of layoffs.

Cons

IT groups are very silo'd. No efficient cross-silo project management system in place to provide accountability and end-to-end success on high-level projects/systems changes. Faster communication to end users is needed when systems/data issues are first identified.

3. I find it enjoyable to work for the company. Everyone strives to support each other while at work and outside of work.

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some of the best supervisors I have worked with in retail and beyond. They are always there to support you the best they can to make sure you are ready to do the best job you can do to continue to uplift the company and yourself higher everyday

Cons

Its easy to take the work home with you when you have a bad day. It gets pretty hectic, especially around the holidays.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. They treat employees the way they should be treated I think

5. Cashier Women Shoes

Former Employee - Cashier in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Probably one of the best companies to work for in Seattle. They really value their employees and understood when you were going to be late or miss work. Friendly management and coworkers. Discount!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially in December where they make it a little higher for like two weeks.

Cons

Mostly positive work place only thing is some employees were rude, super competitive and were pushy especially in shoes where they get the most commission. Also felt like I got kind of thrown into it without too much training, which I didn't mind at all because I'm a quick learner but I could see how it would bother some people

6. Program Manager

Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work environment , friendly people, amazing work-life balance, lots of learning opportunities

Cons

Politics can get in the way of work sometimes, other times there seems to be a lack of ownership of work which can make getting things done tough , they don't seem to pay necessarily at market but it's not terrible

Advice to Management

Communication

7. Senior Interactive Designer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great leadership, great people and they become your family. Fun company to work for.

Cons

Not the best health insurance and PTO

Lots of impactful projects to work on, great business partners with both vision of the future and a good dose of reality

Current Employee - Program Manager III in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager III in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people. The company is growing like crazy and there is a great outlook over the next 5-10 years!

Cons

My role for the past 2 years has not been clearly defined. Constant organizational flux.

Retail giant with many career opportunities but below-average salaries

Current Employee - Training and Development Business Analyst Supervisor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Successful industry-leading company; staff friendly, positive, competitive, confident; multiple internal career opportunities and career path options; decent stock options

Cons

Not a leader in technology... still using Office 2007 and Explorer 9. Benefits mediocre; medical awful. Pay scale on low end of industry. The famous "Nordstrom culture" encourages positive competition which leads to power silos and fear-based, reactive management decisions. Areas hoard information. Average overall intelligence level of leadership.

Advice to Management

The de-Nordstromization of the Technology division is a paradigm shift but necessary to attract talent. Now invest more in updating the infrastructure and support of these tools. Too much waste with duplicate efforts and deliverables. More TVs/PCs in conference rooms.

10. Great Environment, but only okay compensation

Current Employee - Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I work on an amazing team where everyone actually likes each other. We have a lot of great happy hours and team events. The work life balance is perfect.

Cons

Health benefits are the worst, and for most it is like taking a $5k pay cut. Choices are aetna and group health both will cost $400/month in premiums. Aetna deductible will be $4 to 7k.

Salary is probably below market rate average if you are internally promoted, but if you are external hire that came from company with better compensation, then you can get more.

Advice to Management

The inverted pyramid is preached that importance of role are the teams that are closer to customer, but compensation doesn't exactly reflect that attitude.

11. A lot of growth-sales

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom

Pros

Great benefits
    Takes care or employees
    Promoting is fast and there's a lot of growth
    Doesn't require a degree
    Everyday is a new challenge

Cons

Commission is hard especially in slower seasons
    The base is minimum wage
    Hours are retail hours