Nordstrom Reviews in Seattle, WA

2,633 Reviews

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom
Blake W. Nordstrom
1,738 Ratings

Pros
  • Also, this company likes to promote from within so that does add some motivation (in 110 reviews)

• People are generally representative of the Nordstrom customer service culture (in 206 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be difficult at times especially if you have children (in 97 reviews)

• You work long hours consistently, and are not compensated for working over time (in 161 reviews)

More Highlights

286 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Sales at flagship.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Everything, great experience, they train you for any job. I learned a lot about customer service. Worked with great people.

Cons

There were no cons with this company.

Extremely committed to their values of being a people-first, customer-oriented company

Current Employee - Tech Intern  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Tech Intern in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The Nordstrom Technology department has a NorDNA schematic to guide the workplace culture. I was impressed how a company as large and established as Nordstrom managed to keep their hierarchy flattened. Keep your on eye on Nordstrom as they continue to upscale their technology department.

Cons

Currently the infrastructure powering the technology branch is buggy and inefficient. Many teams are driving away towards the organizational tools, which is also a problem since it breaks communications.

I highly recommend clarifying organizational responsibilities versus team responsibilities. The internal documentation system is a wiki-like software that contains a random array of articles and information. Simple things like that could benefit from some firmer governing and quality control.

I have had a long, satisfying career at Nordstrom

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Nordstrom has a culture of customer service that is evident in every role I've played in the company. It is an exciting and rewarding company to work for.

Cons

Opportunities in technology are shifting to more development and less relationship management.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Technology hurting for strong leadership and direction

Current Employee - Technology  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Technology in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than a year

Pros

team dynamic
    discount
    fairly flexible in work hours

Cons

roadblocks (red tape) put in by department preventing us from making progress
    not clear vision from leadership
    conflicting priorities from business and technology
    work - life balance not great

focus on the teams who are on the front lines and less trying to make the business happy

Expect a wild ride - worth it to have the name on my resume

Current Employee - NPG - Product Developer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - NPG - Product Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked for Nordstrom Product Group as a Technical Designer and Product Developer. Each team I worked on had it's own culture and exciting growth within the divisions. Quarterly meetings with awards and recognition, bonus program for meeting your department goals, a lot of passionate people working hard to deliver great product. Factory base is stable and it's rather easy to place product and move it around with competitive pricing between vendors. Most of my direct managers were very reasonable and helped employees have as best work/life balance as possible.

Cons

Don't expect to travel - the seniors and management are lucky if they get 1 trip a year (coach class!!). The expectation from senior level management is set so high - most people feel that they are set up to fail regardless of how hard they work. This company will work you so so hard - anyone going in needs to know that up front. Also - DON"T expect to stay in your role for longer than 2 years. I held 4 positions in 6 years. Be prepared for reorgs and movement from team to team, even complete position changes. They put you where you are needed and you have to smile and take it to keep your job.

Consider the moral of the company and do what you can to make people want to stay. There are a lot of other companies boasting a friendly work environment and better work life balance.

Nordstrom corporate office is a great place to work your way up, and do not need a bachelor's degree.

Former Employee - Item Analyst  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Item Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

-lots of work as the company is expanding and overtime
    -Working in teams and teaching one another
    -amazing training and classes provided by training team
    -great work positive work environment
    -motto "get whys", know the reason (and understand it) what you are doing and why it is important to the company as a whole and to the customers
    -great perks as an employee in sales, and discounts on products

Cons

-management is constantly looking over your shoulder
    -as a contractor you do not get any company employee's perks
    -worst of all they ended my contract early without notice or reason
    -as a contractor it is difficult to advance because they keep you doing the same tasks for a long time before teaching you something new.

-please give contractors a desk outside, stop putting contractors in the training room. You would not like to be stuck inside a room, without any windows for 8 hours a day.
    -for contractors assign them each a manager to report to, and monitor when contractors are clocking in and out (making sure they complete their 8 hour shifts)
    -check on contractors once in a while to check if everything is alright
    -lead by example and smile once in a while

Not so friendly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You can have work life balance in a corporate environment

Cons

The company runs under an inverted pyramid which means the bosses don't really take ownership and lead

Great place to work if fashion is your career.
    Move up fast or be stuck forever.

Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun environment.
    Discount.
    Beautiful people.
    Product sells itself.
    Name recognition.
    Promotes from within.

Cons

Most sales reps make 13$ an hour and under.
    Must build business to make a living, can take upwards to a year.
    Women dominated management. Especially in the mens department, (they're nice but know nothing about men's fashion)
    Training is nearly nonexistent. 3 days @ the most.
    Commission only, no hourly, can be hard during the down seasons.

Raise the percentage of comission in smaller stores, it would reduce the ridiculous turnover.
    More accountable management

Great place to start

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I worked as a seasonal associate for two season. I had plenty of time off and a pretty set schedule which was nice. I did have an opportunity to see what it would be like to be a full time employee, the classes offered for professional development seemed to help my coworkers.

Cons

Sometimes the management team was not in tune with personnel issues.

Leadership is Conflicted - Too Many Kingdoms

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time

Pros

Merchandise discount is good depending on your level in the company. Decent Staff Cafeteria, but depends on which location you work.

Cons

The culture rewards poor leadership - "promoting" failed leaders to other areas of business. If you manage to endure a year or longer at Nordstrom, you have a job for life - so the culture doesn't reward innovation - it rewards endurance. A culture of who you know gets you promotions. That can be the case anywhere you go - but it happens very frequently at Nordstrom. This hurts the organization because there are people in positions that don't have the right skills. In IT, constant re-organization has demoralized teams, and stunted the ability to grow and deliver results to the customer. Benefits are ok - not great. Nordstrom doesn't believe in holiday parties, and also doesn't match 401k contributions. Health insurance is not especially great - you will contribute quite a bit to your health insurance yourself. Old technology.

Don't promote leaders who have failed into another area of business. Show the rank and file that you have heard their concerns, and ready those surveys. Fix the dysfunction between technology and the business, incentivize the business to support technology upgrades as well as the new shiny features.

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!