Nordstrom Reviews in Seattle, WA

2,745 Reviews

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom
Blake W. Nordstrom
1,806 Ratings

Pros
  • Also, this company likes to promote from within so that does add some motivation (in 118 reviews)

• People are generally representative of the Nordstrom customer service culture (in 223 reviews)

Cons
  • Variability in hours worked can make for difficult work life balance at times (in 112 reviews)

• Long hours, especially during pre-sale times when you are needed to set up (in 173 reviews)

More Highlights

346 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Working at Nordstrom is one of the best retail experiences I've ever had.

Current Employee - Nordstrom Sales Associate  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Nordstrom Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nordstrom offers great brands to sell,interesting people to wait on and work with, and a positive work environment.

Cons

Be cautious of fraudulent customers. Get really comfortable shoes. Expect to work extremely hard. Your pay is based on what you sell, so unless you are uber confident in your abilities to make an income of your sales, find an hourly based position.

Great co-workers, but be careful - they watch your every move.

Current Employee - Personal Stylist  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Personal Stylist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent commission, great managers, challenging at times but it pushes you to grow.

Cons

Long, torturous hours during holidays and sales. Real sticklers on the rules. No parking compensation. Had to be really pushy with customers to get sales.

Love working here!

Current Employee - Group Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Group Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture, lots of opportunity, interesting work

Cons

Too heavy of a reliance on contractors

Find a way to balance the culture with fostering disruption of the status quo.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nordstrom: The best retail out there.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are going to work retail, you must work for Nordstrom. The hours are lame, but you will get paid more here than anywhere else. Look for a mid- to high- traffic store to work at. The energy and traffic will make it a fun vibe. If you are interested in working at a children's or even men's departments, be careful about working at a downtown city store. The store may look busy, but it is usually just the women's departments making the money. If your passion is in children's or men's, find a suburbia store. Suburbia = repeat business! I work in Women's Shoes in suburbia and I make (after commission) between $20 and $25 an hour. Good pay!

Cons

They will tell you that the various commission rates even things out so that employees of all departments have equal opportunity to make a ton of money. That is not really true. Go the store, specifically the sales floor, you are interested in before turning in your application. Scout it out. Grab the attention of an associate and ask them how business is going, not a manager! The manager will not give you an honest answer. Us associates all like to gossip and complain as business fluctuates. It will not be hard for you to find an associate that has an opinion.

Offer a set schedule to your highest performing associates and use that as a publicly-known incentive, not just a tool for Department Manager's to keep their "favorites" happy. Meaning? I know I am going to work weekends, allow me to have every Tuesday and Wednesday (or another weekday) off EVERY week if I am your highest performing associate. It will allow me to improve my work/life BALANCE and ultimately want to stay with you for a longer time, making you more money at the same selling cost. Bring in a new hire(s) to replace me when I leave, up goes your selling cost.

Great Company

Former Employee - Nordstrom Direct Marketing  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Nordstrom Direct Marketing in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Team oriented, Smart People, Balanced life, Very positive work environment, Loyal, Great executive leadership.

Cons

Nordstrom is very corporate and qualifies for most corporate cliches out there, but most large companies do. I loved my time there

Good company to work for!

Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom part-time for less than a year

Pros

I only worked as a seasonal cashier in Point of View, but it was fun for a retail job! I expected the job to be kind of miserable, but it was actually fun. I suppose it is easier being a cashier than a salesperson, since you are there to help everyone else. The training was good, my coworkers were available to help me when I had questions, the culture was competitive but still supportive at the same time.

Cons

I wouldn't want to be a salesperson there, because of dealing with all the customer returns... Also, as a seasonal cashier, I wasn't given any notice that my seasonal position was ending. I just wasn't scheduled the following week. My manager didn't even talk to me about it, which was kind of cowardly and off-putting.

Director in Nordstrom Technology

Current Employee - Director Technology  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director Technology in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very easy work/life balance. Everyone is very friendly. Great customer focused culture that appreciates doing whatever it takes to make customers happy. Company has a solid vision on omni-channel to combat online pure plays and competitors.

Cons

Very passive aggressive culture within Nordstrom Technology. More political than Microsoft. Turnover rate for outside hires with less than six months tenure is very high. Retention is a big issue as the culture and processes are broken. VP of Technology, Sam Hogenson, is a very poor leader who lacks vision and clear direction for his teams. He is a reactive leader who plays politics. Dan Little, the current CIO, knows nothing about technology and has no technology background - poor decision by Nordstrom leadership. Enterprise Information team is directed by leaders who have limited careers in big data and analytics. The group follows an antiquated hub and spoke model and uses a bunch of former Microsoft mid level employees who only know classic waterfall SDLC processes and structured data solutions. This will be a huge issue for Nordstrom given how critical data is to retailing.

Bring in proper technology leadership who actually know how to provide CIO and VP level leadership in a inspirational and progressive way. Properly invest in enterprise data visionaries who can help lead Nordstrom in the retail industry through big data solution and analytics.

Sad decline

Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager  in  Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The money isn't too bad. If you're young and willing to move around, be positive when there is not much to be positive about and throw in some butt kissing, you can be promoted to Asst. Dept manager and possibly move up from there.

Cons

No training, unrealistic expectations, no personal life balance and it's all about the money.
    What makes it tolerable is a good management team. I have experienced the most unprofessional, childish behavior from management but she was allowed to continue as long as the dept made their numbers.

You can't just keep throwing in another "event" and expect the sales team to make your numbers while all your support is going to the online business.

Gossip like environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I liked working here for the first year, it was exciting and new.
    Loved getting a discount, and made some good friends in the process.

Cons

After my second year, I wanted to move up in the company. This resulted in many workplace politics. My manager went behind my back and told them all these reasons not to hire me because she didn't want to replace me. Also, the managers can get very catty. Too much drama, felt like I was back in high school, Nordstrom became a place I dreaded coming into work everyday. They work you crazy hours and don't care about what you have going on outside of work.

Office culture, and looking at personal growth.

My experience at Nordstrom was....interesting.

Former Employee - Buying Office Assistant  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Buying Office Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I wasn't an employee, but a contractor. I was supposed to be an Item Analyst, but they moved me to the buying office due to high demand. Unlike other contractors, I was grateful that my buying team included me in their meetings and projects. As contractors, it's hard to feel "included," as you are restricted to be involved in certain activities, but my team was very friendly. I gained alot of experience in terms of communicating with vendors and being prompt with item setups and handling unresolved purchase order changes. I had this fantastical perspective on Nordstrom corporate, but coming into the team made me realize that it's not really glamorous as people think. People work super hard and it was a great taste of what retail corporate is like.

Cons

The cons.... was definitely the compensation, politics and the drama. I was never involved the drama, but there was definitely alot of "hush hush" moments and "mean girl" scenes that would happen among the Buyers. It's pretty typical, especially when the buying office is consisted of all women. As a contractor, you are paid less than the actual employee, even though you are doing (if not even more) the work. Initially, I really wanted to become a permanent OA, but when I found out the pay, I knew it wasn't worth it. I would definitely be living paycheck by paycheck if given an offer. I would be getting paid more in Merch Info than if I stayed in the Buying Office. Although I learned an immense amount of knowledge about Nordstrom's databases, culture, everyday routines, special assignments, etc, I didn't like being an OA. The amount of work is tremendous and once you lose your focus, it's hard to get back in track. If an item setup goes wrong (even though you didn't do anything wrong in the process, sometimes errors occur whether it's misunderstanding w/ Merch Info or technological errors), the blame will always go to the OA. The OA's are pretty much in the bottom of the Nordstrom hierarchy, so people will sometimes treat you unfairly. Sometimes, the Buyers will tell us to get their lunch orders if vendors visit for meetings. I don't think that was listed as one of the OA's responsibilities. I would recommend the Nordstrom Interns do that crap.

I would recommend a higher compensation for OA's in general. I don't understand why an Item Analyst gets paid more when the OA does more complex activites, such as shipping, selling, all administrative activities, item setups (which gives us more room for error than the IA, since we do everything for them to work on it).

If you have buying office experience, might as well work in Nordstrom Direct or be a Buyer. You have more authority and voice in those positions than being an OA.

Also- contractors work their butt off's just like the regular employees. Only a few of the contractors get hired onto the team and others get released in random time periods. To the executives that are thoroughly involved with the process of working with third-party agencies when hiring contractors, please take care of your contractors, and not just the employees. I understand that we might not be regular employee, but we are still equally as talented and I believe the same amount of opportunities should be extended to us, as well.

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!