Norfolk Iron & Metal

Long hours but good pay

Former Employee - Driver in Durant, IA
    Former Employee - Driver in Durant, IA

I worked at Norfolk Iron & Metal

Pros

Good pay, if willing to work 60-70 hrs/ 5 day week, and kept busy

Cons

All about the money. Sometimes feel like they work harder to fire people than keep them

There is better out there

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durant, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durant, IA

I have been working at Norfolk Iron & Metal

Pros

Really good benefits, pay is decent if you like working 60 hours a week or more in 5 days. Clean break room and restroom. A good stepping stone for some industries, such as working the crane and then finding positions outside of the company that pay 2 or 3 times as much is really great. I put in my time to learn to use the crane while making about 32k a year, to making about 86k a year now on a different crane, but still a crane none-the-less.

Cons

It's all about "who you know" - not "what you know." Your boss may have only been there for only 6 months, but that doesn't mean you will move up the ladder within 2-3 years no matter how well or hard you work. Past experience or skills make no difference at all. I highly suggest befriending your bosses and sucking up and be prepared to take their job when they leave/get fired.
    Does not comply with all OSHA regulations, does a very complicated dance to avoid complying.
    Breaks suck, if you get one. I don't even bother, I just stock up on small things I can put in my pockets because by the time you walk to the break room, your break is over.
    Injuries, accidents, or reporting either of the two will get you fired. Complaining of pain or injury will get you ridiculed by their TV system which record your every move only to display it to fellow co-workers for humiliation.
    The company goes through a lot of effort to fire someone than they do to train people or work with them. People I considered very beneficial to the company that worked extremely hard have been fired for forgetting to clock in twice in 3 months - which in return made things more stressful for everyone else.
    People cling to easy tasks and jobs, leaving the hardest of the tasks to the new people which results in a large turn over rate, unfortunately, the hardest tasks are the most important so little gets done and of course, the new guys get yelled at daily. Most newbies do not last a month, and nothing is done to assist them.
    A lot is expected of you right when you start. There is no time to learn.
    Pay close attention to your OT on your paychecks. I often had an hour or two go missing, then I'm ridiculed for complaining about "only 2 hours."
    WORK FIRST SHIFT IF OFFERED. If not offered, work third shift. Second shift is when "it hits the fan" and the most problems occurred. I moved from second to first and it was smooth sailing... I don't think I ever sweat in their 100 degree warehouse working first shift - it was that easy.

Actually pay attention to how things are run on the floor, and if you are high up enough, make your own unbiased decisions on the valuation of your workers. Far too many great workers have been fired for hearsay, for saying they don't like football, not being great at one position but being amazing at another, small little things of no importance should not be determining factors for firing good profitable labor.

"Peasant" takes on new meaning under this feudal reign.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, NE

I have been working at Norfolk Iron & Metal

Pros

My company has some pretty good medical/dental benefits and also has an Aflac program. Employees are offered opportunities to participate in a flex plan, and a steeply discounted YMCA membership. Many of the folks here have been around for years - even decades for some. Many of the employees are very dedicated to their jobs, however, I think this is owed more to the woeful job market in Norfolk, NE than to great leadership or good pay. The company is growing with its most recent new branch in Durant, IA operating as of spring 2008. The company has also recently celebrated its 100th anniversary and remains a family owned company in its third generation. It's a good feeling to be a part of a historically significant company in the area. My supervisor does a great job of encouraging me and giving me feedback on my work, however, I'm not sure if this is the same for other departments.

Cons

I don't think there are many companies in which politics is not a large part of survival for many employees, however, at NIM politics runs down even into entry level relationships. Paranoia plays a large part in keeping employees complacent in my department, and, I'm sure, in many others. In fact, if I was planning on staying with the company I would not be writing this review, because I feel like they will find a way to narrow down who wrote this post. Most people think twice about what they say and who they say it to if they say anything at all.

As for my pay? It sucks! Granted - I'm pretty low level, but when I look up my job and experience on web sites and find that I'm paid in the lowest 10th percentile for my field, it's extremely disheartening. As I said in my Pros for working at NIM, I get a lot of feedback on my job performance. My supervisor is quick to give thoughtful praise, and all my reviews remark on my excellent output, however, my pay does not match the reviews I am given.

Promotions and hirings are very much a subjective matter. Who you know, what you say, and how you are associated is huge. Someone with experience and demonstrated leadership in the company will be passed over for a job if the hiring committee has personal issues with you, if you question management's decisions, or if they don't want to go through the work of finding a replacement for you.

I would not be with this company if better opportunities existed in this very, very rural community.

With the quick growth the company is experiencing, it is more important than ever to keep employees informed of events and changes. For example, many didn't know about the newly announced expansion until it was announced publicly to vendors, and even after that I know one branch only found out by word of mouth.

One of the biggest challenges for this family-style company is trust between employee and employer. Everyone is very distrustful of their coworkers, and the branches are very guarded when it comes to relations with corporate headquarters. Paranoia and fear run deep.

I know many folks would also agree (behind closed doors, of course) with one employee who cynically remarked to me that the expansions are coming out of the employees' pockets. Many of us feel torn between our great performance reviews and the disappointment of paystubs that don't reflect the reviews. Our pay should reflect how much the company values our reliability and good work. - not how much the company can get away with.

Norfolk Iron & Metal Photos