Norfolk Naval Shipyard Reviews

CEO

1. a/c mechanical

Current Employee - Sheet Metal Mechanic in Elizabeth City, NC
    Current Employee - Sheet Metal Mechanic in Elizabeth City, NC

I have been working at Norfolk Naval Shipyard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

i been in sheet metal for 20 some odd years and a various of aircraft i have work on

Cons

i don't know of any down side. i be good working and do my job

Advice to Management

if i am hire you can depend on me to get the job done in a timely manner. and i will come to work on time and give 8 hour of work

2. Nuclear Engineer

I have been working at Norfolk Naval Shipyard full-time

Pros

A lot of good people to work with and working on naval vessels is definitely a unique experience that you can't get anywhere else. Getting paid overtime is also really nice if you want to boost your salary

Cons

The area is not that great to live in, and the company is severely understaffed which makes most of the workforce very young and inexperienced. This leads to a lot of oversight and very little independent trust

Advice to Management

Give a little more leeway to the workers and try to hire more experienced people so there is a slightly more experienced workforce

3. Civillian Employee

Former Employee - Apprentice in Portsmouth, VA
    Former Employee - Apprentice in Portsmouth, VA

I worked at Norfolk Naval Shipyard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay and good training.

Cons

Although very supportive of military as a whole being under the department of the Navy. You get feelings of resentment that you are taking jobs from civilians. Especially if you are retired military and getting your military pension ( which was not my case). Also the policies on harassment are very weak. They only protect female employees from male employees but not the other way around. Plus the Union does nothing to help you.

5. Good place to start your career.

Current Employee - General Engineer in Portsmouth, VA
    Current Employee - General Engineer in Portsmouth, VA

I have been working at Norfolk Naval Shipyard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Projects are interesting and fulfilling. The promotion program allows you to get your GS 12 within roughly 3 years. Working here on naval ships has motivated me to take great pride in being an American. The benefits are slightly above average compared to most jobs. Hopefully by the time I retire my pension will still be intact without Congress messing it up. Training is taken seriously and in some cases they will pay for you to take college courses. Work/life balance is decent, you earn about 13 vacation days per year your first three years plus 10 paid holidays.

Cons

Government bureaucracy does exist! In some instances it will seem unnecessary and time consuming, however that's just the way all government works. If you keep that in mind it can save some unnecessary stress. Management has a tendency to either micromanage the younger employees or not get them involved with projects. Communicating with your boss is key to developing a professional relationship, just like any job. While the pay is good starting off it does plateau after you reach your GS 12. At that point employees either stay or transfer to a different job to increase their pay.

Advice to Management

Encourage communication amongst the young, newer employees. Maybe weekly meetings or something that allows both parties to express themselves. By showing that you are invested in their development gives the impression that you care about them.

6. Great benefits and end product satisfaction, poor facilities and culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, VA

I have been working at Norfolk Naval Shipyard full-time

Pros

Working collaboratively with so many specialized groups to get Navy ships back to sea is truly rewarding. The job security is practically unbeatable, the pay is good, and the paid leave is also good. Good experience and training for the resume.

Cons

The shipyard is in terrible condition. The buildings seem like they should be condemned. The shipyard struggles to better its culture; it seems too much time is spent critiquing items of little importance, moral is generally pretty low, and average employees do not have the desire to better themselves.

Advice to Management

I generally have high respect for management. The shipyard has dedicated much effort to encourage employees to better themselves and communicate more effectively, but it just isn't sticking with the majority of employees. It is very challenging to alter employees character. Improvements in the hiring process may be beneficial.

Shipyard is a great place to work if you are okay with never leaving the area of Hampton Roads

Current Employee - Nuclear Engineer in Portsmouth, VA

I have been working at Norfolk Naval Shipyard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere of the shipyard is friendly and helpful.

Cons

For engineers the compensation is low compared to other places of work. The area is also not great for work or living.

8. working at norfolk naval shipyard

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Inspector in Portsmouth, VA
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Inspector in Portsmouth, VA

I worked at Norfolk Naval Shipyard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Simply stated, I loved my job

Cons

An inspector on nuclear submarines in the subsafe world must be right. There is no room for errows!!!!

Advice to Management

when I was a QUALITY ASSURANCE INSPECTOR ON SUBMARINES THERE WAS NO ROOM FOR ERROWS. WHO WANTS TIME OFF?

Nuc Engineer

Current Employee - Nuclear Engineer in Portsmouth, VA

I have been working at Norfolk Naval Shipyard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is good, just out of college and the structured promotion schedule is nice since you know where you'll be salary-wise in the future and not have to request a raise

Cons

Seems to be a who you know environment where more qualified people are overlooked for projects instead choosing their friends, though you'll find this in many industries. Pay is based on time in the shipyard, not merit based, so there are people doing less work getting paid more.

Advice to Management

Do better at tasking employees and don't micro-manage

10. Nuclear Propulsion Plant Planner School

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, VA

I worked at Norfolk Naval Shipyard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very difficult school esp if your non nuc. You learn both sides of ship and subs so be prepared to learn ALOT.

Cons

non really, I really enjoyed the school

11. It wasn't for me

Former Employee - Inside Machinist in Portsmouth, VA
    Former Employee - Inside Machinist in Portsmouth, VA

I worked at Norfolk Naval Shipyard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is good for VA, you can start out making $17+ per hour with no previous experience. Great advancement for women who don't mind flirting and/or being promiscuous. Some supervisors are really cool and make the day go by faster.

Cons

Hard to get advancement as a man unless I kiss... or get on my knees. There are a lot of grievances filed for people feeling they were discriminated against. You will quickly learn that the men are the gossipers here, and everyone will know all of your business before you know it. There are a lot of family members here who only look out for their family and could care less if it's morally wrong for them to get a promotion even though you are clearly more qualified.

Advice to Management

Promote people with the skill, and not based on sex, looks, or family members

RSS Feed </> Embed