Norfolk Southern

Norfolk Southern Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Norfolk Southern Chairman, CEO, and Director Wick Moorman IV

Wick Moorman IV

Pros:
  • "Great pay, solid support, unlimited ability to progress your career if you work hard"
    in 7 reviews
  • "pay and benefits, if you brown nose management will leave you alone"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "They expect you to bleed railroad 24/7"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Cons: Personal Growth, Training, Work-Life Balance"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company for young professionals. Plenty of upward mobility for young managers.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsCompany is making large efforts to improve company culture. Competitive salaries and benefits. It's easy to gain industry knowledge and relationships that can be leveraged outside of the company.

ConsNS is a 24/7 operation. Several jobs are subject to shift work, no holiday's off, being on call, etc.

Norfolk Southern

Co-Op (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat company to work for! They take care of you.

ConsUpper Management is a little stand offish

Advice to Senior ManagementInteract with the employees more!

Operations Research intern- Software development

Operation Research Interm (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsGot a very good experience Working at Norfolk. Training is not exclusively provided. But, I was given materials to prepare. Friendly co- workers.

ConsInitial system setup process will be very late.They will not convert your employment to full time until you are a green card holder.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was able to provide funds to take care of me and my family.

Accounting Clerk (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsMeeting and working with people who were team players, and gaining a life long friendship with them. #NScoworkersarefriendsforlife

ConsLittle or no training in the department, and never given a test, with scores to determine which skills employees are lacking. They will disqualify without notice, and tell you less than 1 hour that you are scheduled to work another shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen discipline your employees for errors; explain the way to prevent them or how to correct them, instead of wanting to fire someone. Remember the non-agreement employees have the chance to learn the agreement employees job, but the agreement employees are not given the chance to learn the job of the non-agreement, and how it relates to their job.

Good place to learn at-great people

DW/BiCo-Op (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsThe people are super there. While there are the occasional 'pains, most of the employees are wonderful. A great place to work from the benefit standpoint too, if you are an employee. Work there and retire happy.

ConsManagement style is stiff. Hard to get things done from start to finish as different groups will handle parts of a project so you never see the whole thing done

Nothing impressive but a good salary.

Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsVery good Benefits package that includes pension (one that you may not live to enjoy), sustainability, flexibility (depends on the department), good management trainee program, and

Consnepotism, nepotism, nepotism. Impossibly rude and disgustingly ill mannered managers are rewarded rather than disciplined. Manage through fear. NO work/life balance for most.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow do you continuously develop great talents and allow them to slip through your fingers? Other organizations are enjoying the fruits of your labor. DO SOMETHING!

Transportation Management

Transportation Management Trainee (Former Employee)
    Louisville, KY

ProsPros: Opportunities for Advancement, Flexibility

ConsCons: Personal Growth, Training, Work-Life Balance

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow trainees opportunity to grow, avoid restrictions, and stress to upper management about disadvantages of micro managing.

I enjoyed working for Norfolk Southern.

IT Co-Op (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat people, money, and benefits.

ConsLack of communication between departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with other departments better.

Demoralizing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company has a great benefits package and pretty good salary.

ConsIf you are a family oriented person then stay away from NS. They expect you to bleed railroad 24/7. You are always on call and heaven forbid you do not answer your phone in the middle of the night.

For those of you who are military be it reserves or coming off active duty, the railroad is nothing like the your branch of service. NS says that they are military friendly when they are not. I was told by my asst superintendent that I could not go to my regular drill weekend because I had to work, his operations took priority. After a major phone call, I was able to attend drill that weekend.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour A.D.I. process doesn't work because no one buys into it.

Before you turn a trainmaster loose make sure he or she knows how things work, his territory, and understands that people are going to work but if you hover over them they are going to slow down.

When finding a replacement for a superintendent or what ever the case may be, look at the persons track history. Not just his rule violation history but, what his previous and current employess have to say about him or her. The good old boy system plays a hughe role in NS.

I will never ever recommend this company!

It's very nice environment in midtown Atalanta, and kind co-wokers

Co-op Software (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsNS is a huge company, so the manager won't push you to much to overwhelm work. Salary is just the normal money.

ConsYou need to follow the whole project and have some creative ideas to solve real problems

Advice to Senior Managementadd more on salary, lol

Worked for Norfolk Southern? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Norfolk Southern reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Norfolk Southern CEO Wick Moorman IV. All 89 reviews posted anonymously by Norfolk Southern employees.