Norfolk Southern Reviews

Reset
4.0
Norfolk Southern Chairman, CEO, and Director Wick Moorman IV
Wick Moorman IV

Pros
  • pay and benefits, if you brown nose management will leave you alone (in 8 reviews)

• The company has a great benefits package and pretty good salary (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is horrendous (in 8 reviews)

• They expect you to bleed railroad 24/7 (in 9 reviews)

1. Marketing Intern

Former Employee - Market Manager in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Market Manager in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Norfolk Southern (Less than a year)

Pros

Norfolk southern pays pretty well for a Corporate internship. If you go full time, you don't have to worry about losing your job if your in corporate . Because they have never laid off and it is kinda of hard to get fired.

Cons

Advancement will be slow in this company if you join. You pretty much know exactly were you will be in 20 years, no matter really what you do. If you like a stable high paying job with great benefits this is for you. But if you are a risk-reward kind of person, not so much.

Advice to Management

Spend some CapEX on your computer systems because they are so outdated.

2. Internal Audit

Former Intern - For Internal Audit in Roanoke, VA
    Former Intern - For Internal Audit in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Norfolk Southern as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and work culture; very steady and consistent routine A lot of support from management

Cons

some outdated systems used; Not a lot of change takes place; Not as many opportunities for professional development as other companies

Advice to Management

They do a wonderful job with the intern program. The only thing would be to keep a slightly closer eye on the interns and make sure to support them

3. Current Employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Pros

Working in Midtown is great.

Cons

Everyone is a 60 year old man here

5. Good company

Former Employee - IT Trainee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - IT Trainee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Norfolk Southern full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is from an Atlanta IT standpoint. Norfolk Southern is a great company. I encountered a lot of nice, hard working people. It's pretty chill, nothing moves to quickly. 1 day telecommute after a year. This was my first IT job, and it was a great opportunity to learn during my down time and pick the brains of some senior people. If you're looking for a stable, safe company, with great retirement, NS is a good fit.

Cons

Entry level starting salary is great, but salary increases and promotions come slowly. I don't believe this is an NS specific con - it's pretty common in large corporate culture.

Advice to Management

I had great management.

6. Above Average

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Norfolk Southern (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong, stable company, professional atmosphere

Cons

Closing Roanoke office, relocating to Atlanta, GA

7. Mechanical Engineering Co-op

Current Intern - Mechanical Co-Op in Bellevue, OH
    Current Intern - Mechanical Co-Op in Bellevue, OH

I have been working at Norfolk Southern as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I personally find trains and machines interesting and therefore greatly enjoyed working in a locomotive shop. The work being done was interesting, the scale of the operation was impressive and I genuinely looked forward to going to work each day. Significant site expansions were underway at my location and it was very clear that work done in the locomotive shop directly impacted overall operations for the entire site. It sounds like the job is extremely stable, pay is competitive and benefits I heard were well above average as well as the railroad retirement package. I don't feel like I was exposed long enough to get an accurate idea of the true company culture, ethics and values.

Cons

Animosity between union labor and management was evident. In general union workers say managers come and go often, have far less experience than them yet feel the need to "act" like a supervisor and tell the more experienced union workers how to do their job while lacking critical knowledge about the job themselves; basically working by the book rather than acquiring piratical understanding and knowledge with a willingness to learn. When negative consequences come as a result of a poor decision by management, the supervisor tries to find someone else to blame it on. I can’t say I saw this happen, not to say it has never happened, but to say that it could be exaggerations from disgruntled employees. This also seems to be a common trend among other unionized companies in various industries, not just NS or the railroad. Supervisors on the other hand are frustrated because some people come to work with bad attitudes and a poor work ethic, they generally also feel many union laborers are not exposed to the management side enough to see the full picture and therefore become bias or do not understand why certain decisions are made. Union rules require highly productive employees to be treated the same as a lazy and underperforming employee, it is also difficult to fire them. This means the majority of the work load has to be carried by the hard workers in order to accomplish anything and union rules prevent supervisors from rewarding those who do the best work. This frustrated me as well considering how comfortable of a job some of the union workers had without a degree compared to their equivalent working else ware. This is not to speak ill of union workers but to say union labor has significant downfalls in this day and age. Due to the inherent nature of the industry I think maintaining a work/life balance can be difficult with frequent relocation and potential overtime hours. I also feel change is small, delayed and generally slow on railroads in general which could make for a very repetitive and boring job after a few years. I could be very wrong about that since I was only there for 4 months and did not travel the system; however that's what I foresee at the moment. Despite mentioning, and explaining, so much of the negative, my experience was BY FAR mostly positive and I would definitely do it again.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to explore more of the system in order to see how one operation flows with the entire network. It would also be nice to meet high level people and other co-ops during or near the end of the co-op experience in order to network and share experiences and ideas. More emphasis on shadowing employees who play critical roles behind the scenes would be great exposure *and we should have an opportunity to ride an actual freight train at least once.*

8. Web

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Norfolk Southern (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are great and the benefits are comparable to other companies of this size. If you enjoy traveling, you definitely get the opportunity to do so. The culture and values are phenomenal within NS.

Cons

The salary is not really on point with other corporations of this size. I feel the human resources department needs to up their game in the future or face a potential outflux of millennials, who tend to be less tolerant of salary problems and will likely move on to bigger and better things. There is a large sense of the haves and have-nots within this organization and huge disconnect between upper management salaries vs. middle and lower management..

9. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance and the job security is great if you are doing the right things. Great management trainee program.

Cons

Being on call is no fun on the weekends, or during the week, if you are expecting to be completely done with work at 5pm when you get off, or leave your work phone at home, forget about it. If you think you're hiring on and staying in one place and progressing in your career you can forget that too.

Advice to Management

NA

10. Good Place for a Career

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good management-level training program that successfully introduces new hires to the railroad industry. Great benefits and pay, and many opportunities to learn and expand your career.

Cons

Upper management can sometimes be naïve to how working conditions are in departments across their Company. Sometimes candidates for promotions that look good on paper are promoted before candidates that truly know the job.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to do what you can to better understand the working environment at all levels of the organization. Do not put blinders on and imagine that everyone is happy.

11. Good company

I worked at Norfolk Southern full-time

Pros

Excellent pay, opportunity to advance, good benefits

Cons

Have to be willing to move a lot.

RSS Feed </> Embed