Norfolk Southern Reviews

141 reviews filtered by
3.4
Norfolk Southern Chairman, CEO, and Director Wick Moorman IV
Wick Moorman IV

Pros
  • pay and benefits, if you brown nose management will leave you alone (in 8 reviews)

• The company has a great benefits package and pretty good salary (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is horrendous (in 8 reviews)

• Plus the supervisors are on call 24/7 except for every other weekend (in 9 reviews)

1. Management Trainee - Network and Service Management

I worked at Norfolk Southern full-time

Pros

Department Rotations and traveling in the first part of the program; food, hotel paid for
    Salary
    Retirement
    Business is good
    Responsibility

Cons

They took away the Department rotations and traveling during the program

Office Culture: Very negative. If you ask someone how their day is going, common answers are "Another day in paradise..." or "X years until retirement" or "You know. Just another day." Managers talk bad about some of the reps' capabilities and personal lives behind their backs. You'll be in a cubicle all day.

If you are in the OSS department, you can be working 12 hour shifts, 6p-6a or 6a-6p or sometimes both in the same week. You will also have to work weekends and holidays. So when you divide your salary by the number of hours, it isn't worth it. If you value family, don't work here; especially if you would be relocating. You won't be able to go home for holidays. Work also comes home with you, as you have a cell phone and have to answer and review emails throughout the night. Expect to get 500 emails a day, literally. There are easier ways to make the same amount of money by working less. OSS provides opportunity to grow and move up in the company.

If you work in NCSC, you will not be able to move up as fast if at all. The managers try to keep them down there instead of trying to advance them.

Many people come from "railroad families." So if someone introduces you to someone important in the office they say, "This is ______. Her grandfather was a conductor on the Piedmont Division." That can get annoying.

Company Values:
    Retirement- When it comes down to it, retirement is what keeps people there.
    Safety- They take their safety values too far in the office. For example: you have to knock on the door to enter the public restrooms on each floor. This isn't such a big deal, but its just kind of strange to report a paper cut or bug bite.

New CEO coming in. Lots of changes. They closed down the building in Roanoke. I approve of Wick, not happy with Squires so far.

Work here if you want to work really hard for a good retirement.
    Don't work here if you care about family values or want a nice work culture.

Needs more direction.

Conductor, RCO, Locomotive Engineer, Yardmaster

Former Employee - Locomotive Engineer
    Former Employee - Locomotive Engineer

I worked at Norfolk Southern full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great money for the amount of education.

Cons

Horrible working conditions. Hostile work environment. No organizational skills in daily operations. Waste of resources. Promotes toxic employees to remove them from departments. Business model preaches safety but safety is only a concern when someone gets hurt or breaks a rule. Bosses head hunt to reach bonus. Unpredictable management expectations. Resembles a Nazi Regime. Back stabbing is a must to survive. Unsafe work environment. Double standards. Family is 2nd work is 1st, no matter the emergency. Accelerated programs are designed to push people thru even if they're not technically qualified. Equipement is sub par or has mechanical band-Aid to get it to the next destination.

Upper-management should reconsider their business culture and/or model and current managerial staff and make the proper cuts or changes needed. Treat people with respect. Practice what you preach. The cut throat model isn't working. That's why you have the ratings, the horrendous work attitude, and your turn over rate is so high. NS could be so much more than what it is. I love the job but dislike the supervisors I work next to not for. Oh and have a promotion structure. Promote from within and quit hiring college kids who have 0 experience and expect them to solve railroad problems. You're basically employing glorified clerks that cause problems for your operation.

Demoralizing

I worked at Norfolk Southern

Pros

The company has a great benefits package and pretty good salary.

Cons

If you are a family oriented person then stay away from NS. They expect you to bleed railroad 24/7. You are always on call and heaven forbid you do not answer your phone in the middle of the night.

For those of you who are military be it reserves or coming off active duty, the railroad is nothing like the your branch of service. NS says that they are military friendly when they are not. I was told by my asst superintendent that I could not go to my regular drill weekend because I had to work, his operations took priority. After a major phone call, I was able to attend drill that weekend.

Your A.D.I. process doesn't work because no one buys into it.

Before you turn a trainmaster loose make sure he or she knows how things work, his territory, and understands that people are going to work but if you hover over them they are going to slow down.

When finding a replacement for a superintendent or what ever the case may be, look at the persons track history. Not just his rule violation history but, what his previous and current employess have to say about him or her. The good old boy system plays a hughe role in NS.

I will never ever recommend this company!

5. pay is the only thing that keeps employees there

I have been working at Norfolk Southern

Pros

pay and benefits, if you brown nose management will leave you alone.

Cons

In the train and engine department, we employees are treated with no respect, threatened and intimidated. The new atmosphere the company brags about is worse then ever. Sexual harassment is constant, and the company blames the victim. when traveling I am away from home 60 to 100 hours a week, and am disaplined if I mark off because im too tired to safely run a train. If you complain you are labeled a trouble maker and the company does everything to fire you

The company needs a real eeo program that all managers and union officals have to follow.t he company needs to honor their agreements and quit harassing employees. Im sure some departments are treated well but not transportation. When a trainmaster says he needs a crew to have a fatality so he can investigate it and move up in the company, the company has problems. Quit blaming victims and have real investigations into sexual assaults in the work place.

6. not pleasant

Current Intern - Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Current Intern - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Norfolk Southern as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

constant developing company, stable and safe.

Cons

little payment and stressful work. managment is not good

needless to say something

Bad Quality OF Life

Current Employee - Trainmaster in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Trainmaster in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (more than a year)

Pros

*On the management side they have wonderful medical benefits and great salary for those starting out.
    *Great retirement, if you can make it that far!!

Cons

* You work for the railroad and they are a 24hr operations.

* The pay verses the hours does not work out well. Instead of dollars per hour it turns out to be pennies per hour

*There are no sick days, no personal days, no set schedule in terminal's or line of road, no personal life allowed.

*You are at their beck and call. 24hrs a day, it doesn't matter if you are at a ball game with your son or recital with your daughter your butt is theirs and you better not have your phone turned off.

*If you are married stay away from this company because their is good possibility you want be married in a few short years.

*If you are prior Military they take you for granted and use and abuse you because they think you will adapt to their unbalanced way of life and culture. I'm sorry but the military was more balanced in their way of life and culture than Norfolk Southern. The military took more time to care about the well being of you andvyour family.

* The military supported your time with family, Norfolk Southern seems to see your family as a hindrance to their operations.

Norfolk Southern is trying to change their way of life and it is appreciated because their needs to be major reform in the way of life. However, your reform isn't happen fast enough. I'm not willing to sacrifice my family as many have done in the past to make a buck. I'll go work at McDonald's making minimum wage if it means being able to spend more time with my family and not answering a phone at all hours of the night. If i could give one piece of advice to the upper level management I would have to say..."focus on your front line supervisors (B3-B4) make their lives better!

8. Miserable. If only management would see the bad job their lower to middle managers are doing

Current Employee - C&S Maintainer in Elkhart, IN
    Current Employee - C&S Maintainer in Elkhart, IN

I have been working at Norfolk Southern

Pros

the pay and benefits that u get and the job security that u get ..Also, the u get hat for a job well done..

Cons

Lower to middle management.. the treatment of employees. The fear they put into you keeping your job.. they fire people for crappy reasons. they dont care about people families or employees. worst place i can work at but i need a job to feed my family

Wake up you are losing touch with your employees... you listen to your middle managers who are yes men and only say what u want to hear so they get their bonuses

The Job was great, Managment was very poor.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashtabula, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashtabula, OH

I worked at Norfolk Southern

Pros

Good wages, not much else good the co-workers were in the same boat, a company that does not care about the employees

Cons

poor management. Poor disiplinary policies. a company that does not care about the employees. this is a company that only cares about the bottom line. you get hurt, you are in a war to get back to work.

Start caring about the employees, they are your life blood. they are not just a human resource.

10. Operations Supervisor Trainee/MW&S

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor Trainee in Macon, GA
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor Trainee in Macon, GA

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Decent Benefits and good for college graduates with no experience.

Cons

Poorly organized, micromanaged, long hours, and almost half of your monthly pay comes out in taxes and railroad retirement.

It would benefit the OJT program if the trainee had only one or two trainers and was able to do the job without upper management interfering by adding more work and silly progress reports.

11. Comm and Signals Intern

Former Intern - Comm and Signals
    Former Intern - Comm and Signals

I worked at Norfolk Southern as an intern

Pros

Paid great, easy job. You can get away with not doing much, so if that is the type of job you are looking for definitely check this one out. Benefits are great and salary is great. A lot of ability to gain a lot of money quick.

Cons

Everyone talked about how much they hated the job and how they wanted to quit. I didn't like the environment because of the negative attitude. Wasn't kept busy.

For interns make sure that they have something to do all the time. Make sure supervisors are keeping them busy. Make sure there is actual engineering opportunities for interns.

Norfolk Southern Photos