Norfolk Southern

Updated January 29, 2015
3.4

Norfolk Southern Chairman, CEO, and Director Wick Moorman IV
Wick Moorman IV

Pros
  • pay and benefits, if you brown nose management will leave you alone (in 8 reviews)

• The company has a great benefits package and pretty good salary (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is horrendous (in 8 reviews)

• Plus the supervisors are on call 24/7 except for every other weekend (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Kind people and good learning

Former Employee - Electrical Engineeringthe Mechanical Department in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Norfolk Southern as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I had the pleasure of working as an intern at the coal pier in Norfolk, Va. Right near Virginia Beach, this was a beautiful area. I am an electrical engineering student and the supervisors at NS presented me with various projects that were not very mathematics or theory intense, however, they were valuable in-field learning experiences. I was able to witness the operations of power substations at the facility and actually see the replacement of an enormous old power transformer. I also got to view the operation of the facility's PLC network and establish fiber optic connections for a new video recording systems that they were implementing at the pier.

Cons

A coal pier is a dirty place, it is hard to do field work without getting a decent amount of coal on your clothing and hands but if you can get past that you will love it in Norfolk, the people are nice, funny and knowledgeable and they let you have a lot of freedom in the projects you pursue.

Nice place to work but small software team

Former Employee - Software Systems in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Software Systems in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Norfolk Southern as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very nice team to work with

Cons

Not a lot of movement within the company for software dvelopers

Marketing Intern

Current Employee - Marketing Intern
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Housing stipend, great pay, good corporate internship opportunity. Met a lot of great people who were always willing to help.

Cons

I would have liked to have been busier. I had weekly assignments that were due but was never busy like I would be at a normal job. I feel I could have learned so much more if management would had me on a schedule to learn from people. I had a few projects I worked on while I was there but most of them got slowed down or cancelled completely because I couldn't get the information I needed. I would recommend taking an online class or two with this internship, unless you get the Chemicals Department.

More structure to the intern program. Hire an intern every semester and have tasks for each department that are delegated to them. Have them on a schedule where people in each department set aside time to teach them an important business skill, whether it public speaking or excel. This is your chance to hire future employee, you need to give them a great experience they want to come back to.

Marketing Intern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Norfolk Southern as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Full time, paid for my relocated housing, great salary. Great experience over all, felt like a family. Everyone was willing to help and give advice for my future.

Cons

Only an internship, still have to apply with company for full time position

communication and signal intern

I have been working at Norfolk Southern

Pros

good money, nice people to work wih

Cons

long hours, maintainers make more money than first line supervisors due to overtime

none

Kiss your family goodbye

Former Employee - Railroad Conductor in Elkhart, IN
    Former Employee - Railroad Conductor in Elkhart, IN

I worked at Norfolk Southern

Pros

Money! You can make a bunch.

Cons

No life.. On call 24/7.. Gone days at a time. Learn how to sleep fast!

Actually care about your employees and their family.

overall good place to work

Current Employee - Blacksmith in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Blacksmith in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are good, probably some of the best that you can get without a college degree. Retirement benefits are really good.

Cons

Low attrition, so getting seniority can be difficult,

Great job, bad corporate culture.

Current Employee - Trainmaster
    Current Employee - Trainmaster

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay, benefits are ok.

Cons

Transportation department folks live for the job. 80-100 hours a week for the Trainmasters is the rule rather than the exception. If your not in the boys club promotion is hard to come by. Operation performance has a negligible impact on promotability, but as long as you can show you handle rule violations your golden. No accountability, blame game is the way its played

Its a service industry, worry about moving freight, less about cracking skulls.

Conductor, RCO, Locomotive Engineer, Yardmaster

Former Employee - Locomotive Engineer
    Former Employee - Locomotive Engineer

I worked at Norfolk Southern full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great money for the amount of education.

Cons

Horrible working conditions. Hostile work environment. No organizational skills in daily operations. Waste of resources. Promotes toxic employees to remove them from departments. Business model preaches safety but safety is only a concern when someone gets hurt or breaks a rule. Bosses head hunt to reach bonus. Unpredictable management expectations. Resembles a Nazi Regime. Back stabbing is a must to survive. Unsafe work environment. Double standards. Family is 2nd work is 1st, no matter the emergency. Accelerated programs are designed to push people thru even if they're not technically qualified. Equipement is sub par or has mechanical band-Aid to get it to the next destination.

Upper-management should reconsider their business culture and/or model and current managerial staff and make the proper cuts or changes needed. Treat people with respect. Practice what you preach. The cut throat model isn't working. That's why you have the ratings, the horrendous work attitude, and your turn over rate is so high. NS could be so much more than what it is. I love the job but dislike the supervisors I work next to not for. Oh and have a promotion structure. Promote from within and quit hiring college kids who have 0 experience and expect them to solve railroad problems. You're basically employing glorified clerks that cause problems for your operation.

Stable industry/company on one hand with a stuffy & cut throat work environment on the other hand

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time

Pros

Stability, benefits including retirement pension, great wellness initiative including pedometer program where you can earn up to $500 extra dollars cash just by walking. A company with good intentions

Cons

However decent the intentions are, NS has failed to succeed in a culture shift, and I personally believe the retirement pension has a lot of unhappy people sticking around just to be able to retire. A lot of "position hopping" also occurs, which is good in the sense you have the opportunity to become a well rounded employee if you intend on being a lifer, but it also creates the scenario where poor performing employees who are toxic to their departments are able to climb the financial ladder by taking incremental pay bumps and their managers are happy to sign off on these to get the poor performing individuals out of their department, in this sense - poor performance/attitudes get rewarded. There is also an era of dry/lifeless impersonal workplace environment and a bit of a condescending detachment from some of the upper level executives, many of which don't have young children or families. Don't be surprised if you work here and don't form any close bonds with the people you spend 8 hours+ a day with. Not sure if this is a hard-nosed railroad mentality of "just do your work and go home, make friends later", or just the vibe in big corporate America in general. Maybe with some young fresh blood this negative energy will be replaced. Not much of a mentorship initiative to nurture development of young/new employees...

This day in age where most households consist of two working parents - the mentality of "work first, family second" isn't very popular, and as long as there continues to be a lack of progressive thinking and an actual corporate policy (not just "it depends on your manager/fuzzy/gray line") to have flexible paid time off for family emergencies, birth of a child, sick spouse/child, options to work from home - without threats of losing your job or being demoted, there will continue to be unhappy employees looking elsewhere for a more family-friendly environment. NS focuses on being able to do more with less for efficiency and higher profit margins, but that leaves a lot of their employees spread thin with divorce rates high.

Norfolk Southern Photos