Norfolk Southern Reviews

Updated March 30, 2015
142 reviews filtered by

Management Trainee - Network and Service Management

I worked at Norfolk Southern full-time

Pros

Department Rotations and traveling in the first part of the program; food, hotel paid for
    Salary
    Retirement
    Business is good
    Responsibility

Cons

They took away the Department rotations and traveling during the program

Office Culture: Very negative. If you ask someone how their day is going, common answers are "Another day in paradise..." or "X years until retirement" or "You know. Just another day." Managers talk bad about some of the reps' capabilities and personal lives behind their backs. You'll be in a cubicle all day.

If you are in the OSS department, you can be working 12 hour shifts, 6p-6a or 6a-6p or sometimes both in the same week. You will also have to work weekends and holidays. So when you divide your salary by the number of hours, it isn't worth it. If you value family, don't work here; especially if you would be relocating. You won't be able to go home for holidays. Work also comes home with you, as you have a cell phone and have to answer and review emails throughout the night. Expect to get 500 emails a day, literally. There are easier ways to make the same amount of money by working less. OSS provides opportunity to grow and move up in the company.

If you work in NCSC, you will not be able to move up as fast if at all. The managers try to keep them down there instead of trying to advance them.

Many people come from "railroad families." So if someone introduces you to someone important in the office they say, "This is ______. Her grandfather was a conductor on the Piedmont Division." That can get annoying.

Company Values:
    Retirement- When it comes down to it, retirement is what keeps people there.
    Safety- They take their safety values too far in the office. For example: you have to knock on the door to enter the public restrooms on each floor. This isn't such a big deal, but its just kind of strange to report a paper cut or bug bite.

New CEO coming in. Lots of changes. They closed down the building in Roanoke. I approve of Wick, not happy with Squires so far.

Work here if you want to work really hard for a good retirement.
    Don't work here if you care about family values or want a nice work culture.

Needs more direction.

Supervisor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Altoona, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Altoona, PA

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation and benefits are good as to be expected by a major railroad company.

Cons

Working in operations is a terrible quality of life. Relocating to less that desirable locations, endless hours, terrible upper management that needs a serious rework. I have never been more disrespected in my life than I had when I started working in operations. Depending on where you are placed out of your initial training will define your career from there forward. Promotions are NEVER what you know, it is who you know and how long you have been with the company. Experience and knowledge mean nothing.

Incompetent mid-upper management, but lots of interesting opportunities

Former Employee - Management Trainee
    Former Employee - Management Trainee

I worked at Norfolk Southern

Pros

Pay is good for managers- start $60K out of college

Cons

Travel- always on the road
    Your experience depends on who your manager is. If you have an incompetent manager, it's not worth it
    You will be moved around a lot for no reason

Think about why there is poor retention in new management. Actually try to solve it- don't just say "it's the railroad" or toss it up to the fact that its a 24/7 business operation

5. A great place to work, if you're in the office

Current Employee - Assistant Manager Accounting in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager Accounting in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic people to work with. Management is moving towards a behavioral approach to leadership. Pay is great.

Cons

Very traditional. Union labor holds antagonistic views which can be reciprocated by management. Computer software and systems are upgraded from archaic to obsolete, if you're lucky.

Keep encouraging the development of your team. Apply the behavioral tools to things like compensation, scheduling, and work/life balance.

Does not value employees' personal lives

Current Employee - Assistant Supervisor
    Current Employee - Assistant Supervisor

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of room for upward mobility, primarily hire from within.

Cons

Communication is terrible on several levels. Job position is not what was described in interview. Expect you to devote entire life to company.

7. Excellent experience

Former Intern - Operation Research Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Former Intern - Operation Research Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Norfolk Southern as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I worked as a summer intern in operations research department. All the people I dealt with were very nice and helpful. My project manager introduced details very patiently and my colleagues in the same project were so nice to discuss with me and answer all my questions. The workload was moderate.

Cons

I was not familiar with railroad operations before it, so it took me more than a week to get familiar with the terms, operations and so on. It is a big company, so sometimes it is kind of slow if you want to get access to some database or software. Just need to be patient with the IT people.

8. Kind people and good learning

Former Intern - Electrical Engineeringthe Mechanical Department in Norfolk, VA
    Former Intern - Electrical Engineeringthe Mechanical Department in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Norfolk Southern as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I had the pleasure of working as an intern at the coal pier in Norfolk, Va. Right near Virginia Beach, this was a beautiful area. I am an electrical engineering student and the supervisors at NS presented me with various projects that were not very mathematics or theory intense, however, they were valuable in-field learning experiences. I was able to witness the operations of power substations at the facility and actually see the replacement of an enormous old power transformer. I also got to view the operation of the facility's PLC network and establish fiber optic connections for a new video recording systems that they were implementing at the pier.

Cons

A coal pier is a dirty place, it is hard to do field work without getting a decent amount of coal on your clothing and hands but if you can get past that you will love it in Norfolk, the people are nice, funny and knowledgeable and they let you have a lot of freedom in the projects you pursue.

9. Nice place to work but small software team

Former Intern - Software Systems in Atlanta, GA
    Former Intern - Software Systems in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Norfolk Southern as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very nice team to work with

Cons

Not a lot of movement within the company for software dvelopers

10. Marketing Intern

Current Employee - Marketing Intern
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Housing stipend, great pay, good corporate internship opportunity. Met a lot of great people who were always willing to help.

Cons

I would have liked to have been busier. I had weekly assignments that were due but was never busy like I would be at a normal job. I feel I could have learned so much more if management would had me on a schedule to learn from people. I had a few projects I worked on while I was there but most of them got slowed down or cancelled completely because I couldn't get the information I needed. I would recommend taking an online class or two with this internship, unless you get the Chemicals Department.

More structure to the intern program. Hire an intern every semester and have tasks for each department that are delegated to them. Have them on a schedule where people in each department set aside time to teach them an important business skill, whether it public speaking or excel. This is your chance to hire future employee, you need to give them a great experience they want to come back to.

Marketing Intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Norfolk, VA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Norfolk Southern as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Full time, paid for my relocated housing, great salary. Great experience over all, felt like a family. Everyone was willing to help and give advice for my future.

Cons

Only an internship, still have to apply with company for full time position

Norfolk Southern Photos