Norfolk Southern

Norfolk Southern Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Norfolk Southern Chairman, CEO, and Director Wick Moorman IV

Wick Moorman IV

Pros
  • pay and benefits, if you brown nose management will leave you alone (in 8 reviews)

• Great pay, solid support, unlimited ability to progress your career if you work hard (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is horrendous (in 6 reviews)

• They expect you to bleed railroad 24/7 (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Awefull thought I was working for the taliban.

Conductor (Current Employee)

ProsGood retirement thats about it..

ConsManagement Sucks..No people skill'z. Training needed for management, a lot from top to bottom. Outside company has to tell management (upper management) how to make more money by working with your employee's not against them. I believe once the old head management is gone company might be a great company to work for in about 10 yrs if even needed then. 3D printing should knock transportation stocks for a loop. Transporting people will probable sound good again to the railroads.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of paying a seperate company for advice ask your employees if you have any who can truly feel respected and appreciatied by management for the work there doing out there.

Good comapny

ProsPay, co workers, travel, benefits, retirement

ConsMove alot, disconnection with management

Advice to Senior Managementmore connection

gate clerk

Gate Clerk (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

Prosgood company to work for

Conshours are sometimes hard to deal with

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

IT Department: Toxic-Culture + Under-Performers = Lack of Quality and Innovation

Senior Developer (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsFortune 500 company with reasonable budgets for capital investments. Relatively stable company which is not as affected by economic downturns.

ConsThere is a toxic culture of dishonesty, hypocrisy, sketchy agreements, lack of accountability and negative politics throughout the IT Leadership. Promotions are tenure-based -- not merit based. Performers are punished rather than rewarded.

This environment attracts under-performers looking for an easy pension. Management is unwilling/unable to compensate top level talent with competitive salary ranges. Skilled IT-resources move on to better organizations while under-performers stay until retirement resulting in a perpetual "brain drain".

As an organization, there is no desire to be anywhere but the middle or rear of the "pack" in regards to IT capabilities. Until a major cultural change occurs, this company's IT Department will always be an industry-lagger rather than industry-leader.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the culture. (start with Forbes article: "The Key to Changing Organizational Culture")

Attract, reward and retain top-talent. (start with Dice article: "30 Ways to Attract or Repel the Very Best Employees in Tech")

The rest will happen naturally...

Helpful staff and enriching experience

ProsExcellent environment for interns. No deadline pressure.

ConsOverall good experience. They don't give big responsibility to co ops

Norfolk Southern

Norfolk (Former Employee)

ProsA company looking to find itself = plenty of advancement opportunities. Innovation is encouraged and rewarded. Many perks for employees that hopefully will survive in a down economy. Senior management gets out from behind their desk more than I've seen from other large companies. It's great they are willing to share a portion of their workday. That produces unseen, but very valuable returns.

ConsThere are many philosophical policy changes taking place in personnel, IT infrastructure, etc., needless to say, it is chaos at times. People are pushed to reach their fullest potential, so it is quite competitive, bordering on tarnishing the teamwork they are attempting to create. Feels like a shark tank at times, but that's why they are successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of these changes are behaviorial and systemic of an industry and generation (babyboomers), so do not give up when the gains stall. Stay the course.

Non family friendly completely money focused

Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) Roanoke, VA

ProsHealth Insurance was good for the first few years when we had no co pay, then we started paying 300+ a month for it. Descent pay check ,

ConsWorked on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week, all weekends and holiday's, with no extra pay for working holiday. No time at all for family, they called you back to work after 10 hours rest, and you spent from 36 to 40 hours gone at a time. 120+ days a year in a hotel room. No where near enough pay for every thing you sacrifice. They always find a way to beat you out of your bonus's and you never got a pat on the back for working your hind end off. Always hiding in the bushes trying to catch you breaking a rule. Management at the local level was terrible. Twelve years of this and I called it quits!

Advice to Senior ManagementGive a fellow a Pat on the back once in a while, all we ever get is the negative. The only time you see a Supervisor was to tell you how you needed to do more and do better. Hire people in management that have a clue, the college grads you hire right out of college know nothing about the railroad, and they are suppose to be able to help you and 99% of the time I had forgotten more than they even knew about railroading!!

Easy job, great pay, crappy hours

Conductor (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsThe job involves a lot of down time. It's a pretty easy job. The pay is excellent. They train you thoroughly since they are investing a lot of money in you, they don't want you to fail.

ConsThe hours suck. But they do tell you that up front. There's also the danger. There's no way to get an appreciation for how fast a train going 55mph feels when it flies by you while you're standing a few feet away assembling another train. Kinda spooky first few times it happens.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with trainees a little better so that they know exactly what is expected of them as far as hours and "homework" for classes

Co Op Operations research intern for graduate student

Operation Research Analyst (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

Prosquick response for the on line application

Conscomplicated interview process, need to be on line, fly from MD to GA even I have classes at night

Advice to Senior Managementplease reduce the type of the interview into practical skills such as programming and the IQ test but not the GRE verbal test, it gave a little bit unfair to international applicants if they do not know the meaning of the words.

Ok place to work. not an ideal one for starters

ProsGood salary and they give you a monthly stiffen for your housing,

ConsThe work environment is not all that great to work.

Worked for Norfolk Southern? Contribute to the Community!