Norfolk Southern Reviews

Reset
3.7
Norfolk Southern Chairman, CEO, and Director Wick Moorman IV
Wick Moorman IV

Pros
  • pay and benefits, if you brown nose management will leave you alone (in 8 reviews)

• The company has a great benefits package and pretty good salary (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is horrendous (in 8 reviews)

• They expect you to bleed railroad 24/7 (in 9 reviews)

1. Marketing Intern

Current Intern - Marketing Intern in Roanoke, VA
    Current Intern - Marketing Intern in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Norfolk Southern as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for, lots of growth potential. If you show interest in the company, it will return the favor. Many different departments which are available to transfer into.

Cons

Corporate office environment, will work more than 40 hours per week.

2. A great place to work, if you're in the office

Current Employee - Assistant Manager Accounting in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager Accounting in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic people to work with. Management is moving towards a behavioral approach to leadership. Pay is great.

Cons

Very traditional. Union labor holds antagonistic views which can be reciprocated by management. Computer software and systems are upgraded from archaic to obsolete, if you're lucky.

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging the development of your team. Apply the behavioral tools to things like compensation, scheduling, and work/life balance.

3. Not enough work

Current Intern - Sourcing Intern in Roanoke, VA
    Current Intern - Sourcing Intern in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Norfolk Southern as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good amount of positive reinforcement, would be a great job if you needed to spend the summer studying for an LSAT, long lunches with free workout classes

Cons

people don't like it-was told to get out while I can multiple times, very rarely had enough work to do so I was bored out of my mind for a majority of my time here,

Advice to Management

don't take on an intern if there isnt enough work to do. invest in the idea of flex hours

Non family friendly completely money focused

Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Health Insurance was good for the first few years when we had no co pay, then we started paying 300+ a month for it. Descent pay check ,

Cons

Worked on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week, all weekends and holiday's, with no extra pay for working holiday. No time at all for family, they called you back to work after 10 hours rest, and you spent from 36 to 40 hours gone at a time. 120+ days a year in a hotel room. No where near enough pay for every thing you sacrifice. They always find a way to beat you out of your bonus's and you never got a pat on the back for working your hind end off. Always hiding in the bushes trying to catch you breaking a rule. Management at the local level was terrible. Twelve years of this and I called it quits!

Advice to Management

Give a fellow a Pat on the back once in a while, all we ever get is the negative. The only time you see a Supervisor was to tell you how you needed to do more and do better. Hire people in management that have a clue, the college grads you hire right out of college know nothing about the railroad, and they are suppose to be able to help you and 99% of the time I had forgotten more than they even knew about railroading!!

6. I loved interning at NS. The people were great and the work was challenging. I learned a lot.

Former Intern - Tax Intern in Roanoke, VA
    Former Intern - Tax Intern in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Norfolk Southern as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are amazing. They are nice and helpful. It felt like a family.
    They allow you to work on a lot of different things so you can learn as much as possible in your time there.
    Always willing to help and answer questions.

Cons

They don't have an intern "program" so sometimes it takes a while to find a project for you to work on.

7. Old School but great benefits

Current Employee - Supervisor/Yardmaster in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Supervisor/Yardmaster in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company offers good benefits/retirement.

Cons

Extremely long work hours with very little time off.

8. Good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Norfolk Southern

Pros

Benefits, pay, vacation, stable work.

Cons

Some clerical personnel are very lackadaisical and to stuff on their own time.

Advice to Management

Take care of the people that do their jobs and find new people to replace the ones that don't.

Norfolk Southern offers great career opportunities, but demands a lot in return.

Current Employee - Miscellaneous Billing Clerk in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Miscellaneous Billing Clerk in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Norfolk Southern

Pros

It's a stable, profitable company with tremendous career potential, good pay, and great benefits. The retirement plan is excellent (Railroad Retirement is better funded and more secure than Social Security, and the 401K plan has many good options all of which receive 30% immediate employer matching). They are also the safest railroad to work at, with all departments maintaining a safety focus at all times.

Cons

For some employees, including unionized clerical workers like me, there remains a private life outside of work. However, for NS and most railroads, the general attitude is to have as few employees as possible. They will overload you with work and expect you to get it all done even if you stay late consistently and/or work weekends. The company also has not yet adopted a progressive, team-based model of business; it retains a very heirarchical, structured, individualistic approach to work.

Advice to Management

Money isn't everything when it comes to job satisfaction. Compensation should be connected to performance, but employees who have lives outside of work (especially families) should be given opportunities and treated with respect. Also, NS is missing out on many other intrinsic rewards that could be attained with a more team-based model of business.

RSS Feed </> Embed