Noridian Mutual Insurance Company

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Decent place to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Noridian Mutual Insurance Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, good benefits, starting pay is decent. Flexible with scheduling.

Cons

Steep learning curve and not all of the trainers are very patient.

Avoid working in IT at all costs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND

I worked at Noridian Mutual Insurance Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

I really like and miss some of my former colleagues,
    There is an onsite cafeteria
    The Health Insurance was pretty good and reasonably priced compared to my previous job
    I did gain a lot of knowledge and experience working there

Cons

It is virtually impossible to get anything done in IT. The processes and procedures extend the length of any task 10 fold. There are multiple layers of governance and layers of approval that must be given for even some of the most mundane work. Good luck getting a change through in any short period of time.
    Many of the IT departments don't seen to get a long and don't always work well together.
    I received virtually any performance feedback during my time at Noridian except the one time I was taken to task by my manager in an open cubicle are for not doing something the way they wanted it done.

Worst Place to Work

Current Employee - Will Not Disclose  in  Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Will Not Disclose in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Noridian Mutual Insurance Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

With low morals, intelligence s not required to advance n positions.

Cons

Political hell, overworked and underpaid

Truly evaluate peoples worth and get rid of those puling you down.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Current Employee with Plans to Leave

Current Employee - Sales - Marketing  in  Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Sales - Marketing in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Noridian Mutual Insurance Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly work environment within department
    Great working hours
    Structured

Cons

Publically judged and scrutinzed company
    Poor communication
    Interdepartmental "Your job" versus "My job" mentality
    Little employee appreciation
    Poor corporate culture

BCBS needs to have a more "treat your employees well so they treat your customers well" mentality. I felt in a way we are bred not to trust or appreciate our customers.

Management leaves much to be desired, very poor pay scale

Former Employee - Medicare Medical Review Nurse  in  Jamestown, ND
    Former Employee - Medicare Medical Review Nurse in Jamestown, ND

I worked at Noridian Mutual Insurance Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work at home option after 6 months

Cons

Management has very poor skills and education. Management differs greatly from department to department. No consistancy

Should all be consistant.

Excellent place to work, truly cares about employees, very flexible

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Fargo, ND

I worked at Noridian Mutual Insurance Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

I loved every minute of working here. I only left because I moved out of state! When I had a family issues I was able to leave within minutes. When my manager wasn't around higher up's jumped in and did what was necessary. They truly have an open door policy here. Benefits are exceptional! There are two types of people at Noridian: the team players (that all love it there and get along with everyone and have little problems) and the my way is the only right way thinkers (you know the ones that "you should do it this way" and "I can't believe they don't do it this way". Generally happy with nothing wherever they go).

Their open door policy is real, and goes all the way to the top. The CEO says hi to everyone he walks by. He may not know everyone by name but he makes the effort to show he is interested in how you are doing as a person.

Cons

The insurance has a high deductible, but otherwise a great plan. New people get stuck on the later shifts. Human Resources is a little slow.

None. I think this is by far the best work environment I have ever found, or heard of. I truly appreciated how your actions back up your words!

If you don't do well with change then this isn't the place for you.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Noridian Mutual Insurance Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Monday - Friday, paid time off, flexible hours.

Cons

Management is extremely flakey. They like you to think that they are on your side but it's like a high school and it is clicky. They blind side you major changes and make it clear that it is non-negotiable. The health insurance is horrible! You would be better off getting a private plan outside of the company. There used to be job security but that is no longer as the contracts aren't being awarded to us like they used to be. We are operating without a president and the "acting" president is a complete arrogant puke. He never says hello..never smiles...and gives off an attitude of "speak when you are spoken to". The people are all miserable and it shows as the morale is extremely low. If this company doesn't get a grip and soon..they may as well shut the doors.

Follow through with your promises and communicate better in a timely manner with your employees. Take a few minutes out of your busy day micro-managing and actually get to know the job you were hired to do. Be more consistent and fair with EVERY employee and not a select few. Perhaps come out of your office every now and again and actually walk through the department and get to know your staff. Ask questions and take feedback as well as you give it.

For Fargo, a larger company with a good family feel.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Noridian Mutual Insurance Company

Pros

Long-term employees who are knolwedgeable and willing to do what it takes to get the job done. Very flexible scheduling allows you to take time off when you need it for personal matters.

Cons

Slow to change - probably due to such long-term employees, however the new senior management is starting to get change moving.

Empower and assign more clearly to staff below you to accomplish tasks. Sometimes it feels like no one is taking ownership to make a change, but yet a bunch of people are working on it, leaving no one as the authoritive decision maker.

Changes are needed.

Current Employee - Analyst Programmer  in  Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Analyst Programmer in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Noridian Mutual Insurance Company

Pros

It is hard to get fired. They are hiring. It is a Dynamic Place to work. Most of the employees are highly intelligent, hard working and awesome to work with. They have a cafeteria that is really good. You get a lot of varied experience with all the different aspects and changes in Health Care. It is easy to be anonymous (just follow the directives, don't make waves and you are invisible).

Cons

My cubicle is overheated (for me). It is usually 77.9 degrees Fahrenheit sometimes climbing to 81. turns my brain to mush. The IT department(s) need some serious revision. There are to many processes to accomplish simple tasks. No processes go away. They just seem to build. I don't see an overall vision for the department or understand how I fit into the overall vision. I am not sure what company I work for; I am pretty sure I work for Noridian but when it suits I work for Noridian Administrative Services or BCBSND. If they wan't to cut my pay and benefits I work for BCBSND. If they need some work done I work for Noridian or NAS and even occasionally CoreLink Solutions. You don't get to work with the latest technology because it is a "security risk".

Come up with a vision for the IT department and communicate it to the employees. COMMUNICATE better across the company! Quit using the employees as the punching bag for past and present bad decisions. Restructure the Board of Directors.

Noridian is not a Great Place To Work as they say it is

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst  in  Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Noridian Mutual Insurance Company

Pros

The cafeteria and the 2 half hour breaks. Also the ability to play fantasy football, baseball, NASCAR, etc. If you get into a management position where you don't need to accomplish anything, It's a very good place to work.

Cons

In the IT department there is a methodology that just plainly does not work. There is Phase documents that get created that are not useful at all during different stages of a project. The Systems Strategy Administrator that was supposed to be in charge of HIPAA actually let the four main HIPAA transactions to be designed 4 disparate ways. This was caused by the lack of communication amongst the so-called project leaders (they really only distribute projects. Not lead them). Senior management just signs these Phase Documents with no idea at all as to what is in them. They wouldn’t be able to comprehend them anyway, so they just sign them. When a really important project comes along, the senior management meets for months (not getting anything accomplished) and when it’s time for an Analyst to actually get something developed, everything has to be re-worked/re-analyzed. Also, there is way too many management people. Why does the IT department need an Assistant VP along with Managers who really don’t accomplish anything? The Project Leaders could report directly to the VP. But of course, that would mean that the VP would actually have to do something. The only thing those Managers/Assistant VPs do is go to meetings where really nothing gets accomplished. They also look at Phone Reports, Door Reports, Internet usage reports, and spy on employee’s emails.

The real workers would really like less of Senior Management. You are just getting in the way of projects being completed. And in the process, just wasting subscriber's health care dollars. We don't need Assistant VPs and Managers that don't do anything.

Worked for Noridian Mutual Insurance Company? Contribute to the Community!