Nortek Reviews

2.4
Michael J. Clarke
1 Rating

1. Great place to work

Pros

Friendly people, Competent leadership. Cutting edge technology

Cons

Cannot think of anything at this time

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

2. Not a positive work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Nortek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

OK work/life balance and not a lot of overtime. Decent benefits package. 401K matching.

Cons

Poor communication. No strategy. No focused research and development. Slow development and release cycles. Lack of accountability and disinterested leadership in most areas. Old school management style. Unmotivated employees. Not a lot of opportunity for growth. Forced PTO every year. Low morale.

Advice to Management

Upgrade the software and equipment. Improve the work culture. Motivate employees to embrace excellence.

3. Coordinator

I have been working at Nortek full-time

Pros

I like what I do in my position

Cons

No updates on current company standings

5. Welder

Former Employee - Welder in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Welder in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Nortek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I want to be parte of this team to grow in knowledge about my work and my quality of life and be better every day

Cons

Learn different procedures that new techniques to do better my job and help those who can to work together with my colleagues

Advice to Management

Only be responsable in everything you do

Nortek Poor to Average Company

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Nortek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

General staff are great people in all areas. Locations nationwide to work from. Good benefits. Fair pay.

Cons

Egos and kingdom builders in the mid to upper management staff. Forced PTO at Thanksgiving, and Christmas to New Years. Finger pointing internally is a big problem. Continuous hiring freezes and travel and expense restrictions make travel and equipment purchases difficult. One group's profits used to cover the rest of the divisions loses. If you want to work at a place where you are not made to feel like a part of the team then this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the huge EGO people and listen to the experienced sub-management staff already in place. Stop with the expense hiding games and tell the truth.

7. Laid off

I have been working at Nortek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really don't have anything good to say about Nortek. I was more like hurry up and wait. The manaegment sector needs to communicate more.

Cons

All politics, hand "A" does not talk to hand "B" the decision making from behind a desk. Maybe there pockets where not full of money.

Advice to Management

I have no kind words of intellegence. I will never work for NORTEK ever. Comunication is a tool that should be used to make sound decisions.

8. review1

Former Employee - Senior RF Eng Tech in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Senior RF Eng Tech in Carlsbad, CA

Pros

Great people and lots of products and business

Cons

Sometimes have to work in the heat.

Advice to Management

Update the gear.

9. Total Waste

Former Employee - Electrician At Mammoth Inc in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Electrician At Mammoth Inc in Springfield, MO

I worked at Nortek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nortek had good benefits, The shop was clean and the pay at best was average.

Cons

Another plant closing due to mismanagement. The only time our shop made money was in 2012 when they hired a true professional as the director of operations. The upper management decided to fire this man and revert all of the positive changes and ideas back to the old way of the buddy system and waste. We sat on a gold mine with superior yield and was completely self sufficient by building our own components. Once the building of the parts went to Mexico and The director was fired, then all of the improvements we all participated in went by the wayside and old methods (proven not to work) came back into play. Two years passed with upper management knowing full well there were severe problems with both management and the outsourcing and did absolutely nothing about it. The futures of many hundreds of dedicated employee are gone and the people who tried to make this work are the ones who are paying the price.

Advice to Management

When someone with talent comes into the picture, it may be a good idea to acknowledge the talent and work with it. "Good-old-boy" networks will always destroy the companies they are involved with. If this company is to survive, then it is the best time to take off the blinders and get involved. This company was sitting on a gold mine and is now looking to loose it .Cheapest is not always the best but good management and organization will guarantee a positive outcome. Employee recognition must be looked at by merit, not by who they know. Rules must be equally complied with by all who are employed there.

10. Sr. Electrical Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Nortek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

plenty of work, friendly atmosphere,

Cons

Resent layoffs, uncertain future, closing manufacturing facilities.

11. Mammoth Layoff

Current Employee - Software Developer in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Nortek full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice atmosphere, near walking trail/lake, flex hours, convenient location for shopping or going out for lunch, good benefits, good work.

Cons

The business segment that I worked in didn't make enough money to absorb some of the business decisions that didn't go as planned. Unfortunately, this led to a WARN layoff and the closing of at least one manufacturing plant.

RSS Feed </> Embed