Nortel Networks

Nortel Networks Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Nortel Networks President, Nortel Business Services Chris Ricaurte

Chris Ricaurte

Pros
  • Good work/life balance as long as you meet your deliverables(in 27 reviews)

• The ability to work from home was great(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management made poor buying decisions(in 29 reviews)

• Even through chapter 11 the company did what they could for their employees(in 14 reviews)

Good Opportunities to Develop Personal Skills still exist at Nortel

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsThe greatest thing about working at Nortel is that, if you are a competent employee, you have direct access to Senior Management, and they are largely very interested in understanding recommendations from you. If you approach every conversation with the leadership team as it is your responsibility to quickly brief them, provide a #1 recommendation, a few options, pros and cons of each, and then a commitment to take their final decision and execute against it (they are, after all, the decision-makers of the company) you will be able to find great success at Nortel.

ConsThe biggest down-side, of course, is the uncertainty of the company's future. But - once you get used to that, and once you don't let that uncertainty become an excuse for you to stop working hard, then you just get on with doing your best every day.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage mid-level management and below (including "rank-and-file" employees) in developing recommendations for what businesses to stay in and which to exit - and do it quickly. We have a wealth of talent at Nortel, and many of the folks in the trenches of day-to-day work understand what can be salvaged and where we need to cut our losses.

Nice place to work, friendly people

Network Engineer (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsThe people are friendly. Lots of programs for employees to get involved in inter social activities and the community. Managers are fairly understanding to your needs and will work with the employee. The work from home policy is a great way to be green, and improve employee satisfaction. The campus I work at is especially beautiful, with ample parking and beautiful nature surroundings. We are also a very diversified company that pays a very competitive salary compared to other high tech.

ConsThe stock shows little signs of improvement. Layoffs are always an issue, and job security is hard to come by.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm not sure what you can do, it's a tough marketplace for us.

Great place to work, except for leadership

Program Manager (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Prosgreat compensation, latest equipment, skilled peers

Consexcessive layers of management, hierarchical, limited access to customers

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a horse and ride it. And reduce compensation for senior management, at least until the whole organization can benefit

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nortel is a good place to work!

Sales (Current Employee) Sunrise, FL

ProsGreat company coming back. Good Sr. Management. Great Technology. Good benefits and environment. Solid on Enterprise solutions. Getting stronger on Services and Applications. Strong Partners in Microsoft and IBM. Leapfrogging the competition. Improving channel partners. Strong global presence. Good opportunities for development. Good people quality.

ConsIt doesn't use Marketing to their benefit. Not easy comeback from the reduction in previous years. As a 100 years plus company there are always things to improve.

Advice to Senior ManagementSr. Management has a good plan to get Nortel back in track. They are listening to employees and focusing on the business that makes sense. Very transparent for employees, partners and customers.

Fantastic company, great people, lousy decision making

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Paris (France)

ProsNortel was one of the best companies to work for in the late 90s and briefly had the highest market cap. People were great. CAreer opportunities and mobility were taken seriously. positive can do attitude and everyone had a clear view of the direction of the company - and most had an equity stake it in too!

ConsA combination of telecom bubble burst, accounting scandal, overpriced acquisitions, dubius management decisions and trying to grow too quickly created a perfect storm which destroyed the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo upper management left to advise!

Great company and good people.

Senior Manager, IT (Former Employee) Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsGood pay , flexibility and career advancement.

ConsFiled chapter 11 in 2009. Even through chapter 11 the company did what they could for their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needed to do a better job at investing money which led to chapter 11.

great company at one time

IT Analyst (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Prosgreat company at one time

ConsThe company was once great but was not managed in the end

Advice to Senior Management-none

Channel Manager

Channel Account Manager (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat company to work for before the bankruptcy

ConsPoor Executive Level Management which killed this company

Advice to Senior ManagementIf it had been better managed on the executive level, it would probably still be a great company today.

Great until Bankruptcy

Senior Product Manager (Former Employee) Bohemia, NY

ProsAwesome benefits. Great company to work for - great products and great middle management.

ConsCxO's that ran the company into the ground and ruined may peoples lives.

Intership

Summer Intern (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsLots of Freebies, Excellent work environment

ConsCompany closed down otherwise great!

Worked for Nortel Networks? Contribute to the Community!