Nortel Networks

Nortel Networks President, Nortel Business Services Chris Ricaurte

Chris Ricaurte

46 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

No hope...

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nortel Networks

ProsNortel used to be an excellent place to work but it is not the case any more.
In the past few years, things have gone from bad to worst especially under the leadership of Mike Z. The fun of doing the work has completely been destroyed.

ConsThe biggest problem is management incompetency and insincerity. It is a shame if this once great company has to go under.

Advice to Senior ManagementTop 10 senior management should volunteer to lower their compensation to $1 a year each. Recognize that blindly application of six sigma without understanding the nature of Nortel's products is a waste of time and resources.

A once proud giant

Business Operations (Former Employee)

I worked at Nortel Networks

ProsLarge company with lots of resources. Many places to plug in and contribute. Many great mid level managers when I was there. Even though they are still losing money to breaking even, there are lots of resources to bear on any internal or customer issue. The amount of IP and varied technology Nortel still has makes them a leader. I think the new leadership has at least got rid of most of the Canadian bias and a some of the socialist employee thinking. It helps when you get rid of 80% of the employees. Telecom is still an exciting industry to work in though. Things are continually changing.

ConsThe company has too much bureaucracy. It is very difficult to get anything done at Nortel. All initiatives were multiple year endeavors that never ended. There is little or no agility in a market that requires much. They have really fallen out of the big TEM space, and are now a slightly second tier provider. This makes it hard to set market direction given their still (too) broad portfolio. I was in several COS and opex functions which were continually squeezed - too much work and too few bodies to do it all. In the last two years Nortel seems to be waffling without direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut out any business that you are not number one or number 2. Focus focus focus.

In midst of a comeback attempt

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nortel Networks

ProsNortel has talented people who are professional and respectful. Opportunity to work with innovative technologies. Corporate culture promotes diversity, team work, and work/life balance. Management allows flexibility for working remotely. Good benefits for vacation and health care.

ConsFinancial and competitive telecom industry has led to massive lay-offs coupled with off-shoring of jobs to low cost centers. This has led to low employee morale and limited career advancement opportunities. Reorganizations are frequent leading to new priorities and insufficient time for execution. Accountability of management and decision makers is very low. Decision making is slow and not always in the best interests of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementFacilitate career advancement through training, tuition reimbursement programs and internal moves. Streamline projects and initiatives inline with corporate goals.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good, but room for improvement

Senior Support Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nortel Networks

ProsGood pay, good benefits, good work life balance. Recognition for high contributors. Some groups are better than others... I may be lucky.

Nortel is involved in many technologies so you can always learn more. Nortel has a history of innovation which I hope will continue.

Benefits are great, especially given the cost to them is so high.

You (at least I) am well taken care of for being a hard worker. This may depend of your manager. There seems to be too many middle managers and account related people and not enough engineers. That is coming from an engineer though...

ConsConstantly changing business due to recent troubles. Not enough emphasis on training and employee development.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to those who have experience in Telecommunications and IT.

NT - A gamble but may be worth it if you are new in your career.

Director R&D (Former Employee)

I worked at Nortel Networks

ProsThe potential of building something great again. Once you've hit rock-bottom, up is the only direction. If you are in Nortel, or thinking of joining, always, always, always have an exit strategy.

ConsNT has forgotten what it stands for - leading edge products and delighting customers. It's difficult to see that when you're focussed upon quarter-2-quarter budgets. Also, a lack of risk-taking culture. Everyone from junior to senior is in CYA mode.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's all about your people - first!

Family-friendly company; lacks in opportunities, training, and career advancement

I have been working at Nortel Networks

ProsThe company offers a substantial amount of vacation time and job flexibility, They also will allow you to telecommute so long as you do not abuse this priveledge.

ConsThere currently are not a lot of opportunities for advancement since the company and the industry is shrinking. The stock price has been bad, but this really doesn't matter much to most of us since the company does not give many stock options to its employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThat you will not be able to turn this company into the General Electric model. Also, it would be a good idea for them to quit taking such big pay raises and bonuses when many employees are being layed-off and are not receiving much in the form of monetary bonuses at the current time.

Worked for Nortel Networks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nortel Networks reviews and ratings in Richardson, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nortel Networks CEO Chris Ricaurte. All 46 reviews posted anonymously by Nortel Networks employees.