Nortel Networks

www.nortel.com
Profile Unclaimed

52 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Nortel Networks, no longer here, but a great place to work

I worked at Nortel Networks

Pros

Very bright people, very polite and respectful, management was very open to career changes, challenging work on new technology

Cons

Nortel did a lot of in-house development of tools/development environment. Experience with these tools does not make you marketable.

Next time, try to avoid bankruptcy. Have a better vision of what the market will need.

Telecom is a cruel mistress when you are a recruiter

Former Employee - Recruiter in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Richardson, TX

I worked at Nortel Networks

Pros

Great people and great culture, strong commitment to work/life balance, the individual group in which I worked were all very dedicated and passionate about their work and my direct manager was probably the best boss I've ever had. Nothing like going to work in shorts, a t-shirt, and flip flops. And of course, at various times when I was there Nortel had industry-best, fabulous technology. It always was a strong engineering company - with a big appetite for hiring. Good times.

Cons

History will probably look more kindly on the captain of the Titanic than Nortel executive management circa 1995-2009. RIP my friend.

All that really comes to mind at this point is Bluto's speech to the Deltas - was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Bailey? Nothing is over until we say it's over. That sort of thing. I'll miss Nortel.

Use to be great, not anymore

I have been working at Nortel Networks

Pros

Great people and leading edge technology. Always challanging and interesting work to get involved with. Excellent Engineering community where people help each other.

Cons

Management (or mis-management) has driven the company into the ground with their decisions. Poor choice of positioning the company and its assets has resulted in fire sales of whole divisions and hence let the air out of the employees.

Too late now but don't make the same mistakes elsewhere. Some of the programs (six sigma) although useful, were not implemented correctly. Sr. Mgmt put their own pride and their own interests in front of the company and the employees.

Was a great place to work but Sr. Mgmt. made too many bonehead decisions and we are now in bankruptcy

I have been working at Nortel Networks

Pros

Great Benefits and Pay with decent management at the mid and lower levels

Cons

We just recently filed for bankruptcy and are in the process of selling off all assets. A bit of a shame and depressing.
    Future is very uncertain.

You guys should have cut unprofitable divisions a long time ago rather than have them continue to suck the life out of the company.

This is not the Nortel of 1995.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Richardson, TX

I worked at Nortel Networks

Pros

You are surrounded by outstanding technical talent, you can make your own career path, you are not limited in advancement if you don't want to manage people.

Cons

Constant downsizing created a very difficult environment to keep teams motivated - moral dropped off further with the bankruptcy.

The value of your business is your people.

It was good while it lasted.

Former Employee - Senior Member of Scientific Staff in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Member of Scientific Staff in Richardson, TX

I worked at Nortel Networks

Pros

It was once a great place with good people, just couldn't get it together. The work life balance was really good and the pay was at a good rate.

Cons

Never a complete story from Management. It seems as though there was a hidden agenda and the management could not be trusted. Upper management never had the guts to halt a project if it wasn't ready, we would still push it out the door forceing our customer to take a sub-standard product which hurt us in the end.

Be honest and not gloss things ove.

Nortel was a great company, but all things come to an end due to poor leadership.

I worked at Nortel Networks

Pros

not many of the last few years.

Cons

spiral tumble since the financial scandal, stupid ideas never helped us recover.

They must puch back to the executives, informing them what is not working, rather than being YES men.

A once-proud company going down for the second time.

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Richardson, TX

I worked at Nortel Networks

Pros

A player in the cutting edge of technology. Good educational opportunities. The possibility of advancing in management rapidly (if that is your career goal).

Cons

Authoritarian management, sometimes ridiculous work hours, poor place for advancement for purely technical people. If you are not a manager, you are treated as a piece of equipment, to be used and then discarded. Poor quality of products.
    Management focuses entirely on deadlines, and products are rushed to market with little or no testing and are consequently of very poor quality. Time that could be spent on doing the job right the first time is instead spent on patching a very flawed program so it works at some minimal level of reliability.

Treat people as assets to the company, not liabilities. Focus on long-term goals, not just the closest deadline. At this point, however, it may be too late......

A great gig while it lasts

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Nortel Networks

Pros

Nortel, despite scaling back quite a bit, still has a very good benefits packages. You get almost 30 days of paid time off (between vacation days, corporate holidays, and a floating "personal holiday"), which really helps with work/life balance. Nortel, at least in my experience, has been very tolerant of office employees who want to work at home occasionally.

Cons

The obvious downside is that the company isn't doing too well. You never know how long your job is going to be around. The cost cutting has others effects you can see around the workplace. Things just aren't maintained the way they used to be - printers are frequently broken, projectors hard to find, etc.

This company needs major restructuring and cost cotting. Make those hard decisions and make them sooner rather than later. It will make the employees happier to have a better idea of where the company is going.

Nortel is going nowhere very fast!

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Nortel Networks

Pros

A lot of freedom is given to employees. You also have the ability to work from home.

Cons

Company going down the drain. Cost cutting is spreading like a cancer and that is their excuse for everything. Management doesn't really care anymore, to "busy" to care about anything.

Need to retire, make way for younger more fresh ideas. Mike Z's 5 year plan might as well turn into a 15 year plan. Always excuses for why the company is in the condition it's in.