North American Breweries Reviews

Richard A. (Rich) Lozyniak

1. Forklift operator

Former Contractor - Forklift Driver in Rochester, NY
    Former Contractor - Forklift Driver in Rochester, NY

I worked at North American Breweries as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Always knew what management thought of your performance

Cons

Work is very seasonal hard to get in permanent

Need more new products

2. Completely inhumane HR practices...

Former Employee - Market Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Market Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at North American Breweries

Pros

There are no pros to report.

Cons

NAB acquired Pyramid Breweries and Magic Hat in 2010. At this time, NAB "reinterviewed" all sales people for both companies. We had an initial "interview " in Ca (couple hours travel time to get there). Then a few weeks later they flew ALL sales people to Chicago, where they took us into a room at a hotel in the airport, one by one, and either offered a job to continue with NAB or laid us off. The majority were laid off and there was no rhyme or reason to the people that they kept (i.e. Sales numbers). After getting laid off(about a two hour process from the time we stepped off the plane) they put us right back on the plane to fly 5 hours back home. What's worse is, we would watch each person come out devastated and then get called in to meet the same doom. I have never in my life dealt with such treatment in a business environment.

Treat people like people, not a number. You could have easily flown an upper management person out to the west coast to lay off the large number of people you flew 10 hours round trip in the same day to lay off.

3. Stay Away!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I worked at North American Breweries

Pros

Free Beer & Above-Average Salaries. It's great to work with a brand that your friends & family enjoy and are familiar with.

Cons

So many...worst culture I had every been a part of. You never knew who was quitting or getting fired from day to day. Extreme CYA attitude where people don't want to help or give advice for fear of being blamed when something goes wrong. Management likes to tout the freedom they give people to do their job...unfortunately, that freedom is just another way for them to distance themselves from you if any of your projects fail. Don't expect their support in any way. Work-life balance is terrible. Expect to work long hours, evenings & weekends...because most of your days are tied up in meeting after meeting where you'll repeat the same numbers & updates over and over and over...... The bonus program was theoretically great...but was rarely paid out because the company would find loopholes in the promises to withhold the payments.

Give out a lot more free beer in order to mask the issues that truly surround the culture of working at NAB.

5. Steer clear at all costs!

I worked at North American Breweries full-time

Pros

Strong salaries and benefits but not worth it.

Cons

Horrible people, declining brands, and a lack of strategy and vision. Company has no idea what they are doing, they think they are BIG but fail to compare to other brands in their markets. Direct manager presented serious HR issues and is a liability to the company. Bonus program promise is high but goals are set overly aggressive so that they won't have to pay out. If they get to close to big payouts, they will change program at will.

Company needs a complete shift in culture and strategy. Sell off the craft companies and set them free. Work Labatt and Seagrams as they are national brands and forget about the Rochester junk.

Underpaid Interns from Buffalo Niagra University aren't the answer for all corporate functions as experience matters. It's time to put on the big boy pants and invest in your people for the future.

6. Lack of direction. Weak leadership

I have been working at North American Breweries

Pros

Freedom. Ability to use creativity. Creative tools and POS. Spending budgets and freedom to spend. Lavish company meetings.

Cons

No work life balance. Be prepared to live the job. The direction of brands is not evolving or progressive. Weak areas in management and marketing are the reason for this specific pitfall. This is also a good notification of the future of the company. Not paying out employees for meeting their benchmarks is another large reason for turnover. Rule by fear, directly from the top.

More continuous training is needed. The AB methodology of hire young and pay low will catch up eventually!

Limitless Opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at North American Breweries full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

North American Breweries is a great place to work for motivated individuals who are not satisfied with status quo, and who wish to have the freedom and power to affect change. There is a great deal of opportunity within the company. There's opportunity for professional growth and advancement, and opportunity to take an idea and run with it, whether in a senior position or an entry level position. NAB likes to stretch people--putting employees in situations where they aren't immediately able to be comfortable, per se. Rather, they are put in situations where they are forced to think creatively, learn from their mistakes and experiences, s t r e t c h their knowledge base, and ultimately be beneficial in the short term for the company, but especially for the long-term professional growth of the individual. From personal experience, this happens to me regularly. I am put into situations--whether it is leading projects with content I'm unfamiliar with, leading people I've not yet led, or managing time--where I don't immeditately know how I am going to be successful. I do know, though, that I have the tools and support I need to be successful. Also, at NAB, if you can dream it and justify it, no one will stop you from doing it. This is a really good company in terms of letting people run with ideas and implementing business-changing ideas regardless of seniority.

Cons

You are always working--which is a good thing if you're really into your business, but it is obviously not for everyone.

Low morale reflective of poor management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at North American Breweries full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The CEO, the products, and generous vacation are the highlights of the company. The training program is evolving, but the Sales team has a long way to go.

Cons

The Sales organization is led by managers with poor leadership skills. They have been promoted too soon, for the wrong reasons, without any management training. While many of them are competent in the job, they tend to be unskilled in basic management and team leadership.

Job candidates are misled to believe that there is a team-based environment, however, there is rarely any direction and few people willing to help or provide guidance. Poor communication between departments and offices is typical, which causes unnecessary distress.

There is no work/life balance nor is there any effort to improve this.

High turnover is a result of the unstable organizational structure and is a clear indicator of employee dissatisfaction.

Management training should be mandatory and regular (i.e. semi-annual, quarterly), particularly for new managers. Investigate the high turnover rates, which might help determine the cause and help to find ways that will improve employee retention.

Unprofessional

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I worked at North American Breweries

Pros

Free beer but not worth it.

Cons

Being treated with disrespect and threatened.

Avoid a lawsuit and clean house. It is inevitable. Seriously.

10. Fun. Interesting. Wish I could have stayed.

I have been working at North American Breweries

Pros

Great People to work with, good culture

Cons

Not many open positions in my field (marketing) making it hard to move up through the ranks

11. Great Place to Work

I have been working at North American Breweries full-time (more than a year)

Pros

For the driven and competent individual. If you are interested in scooting along and riding the coat-tails of the industry, then NAB will pose a challenge for you. This is one of the best companies in regards to allowing employees freedom to run their business and department in the fashion that suits them that adds value and is the most positive approach to a challenge.

Cons

The only con I can think of is instituting a bonus structure which pays based on individual performance and paying employees who perform, regardless of company results.

North American Breweries Photos