North American Breweries
www.nabreweries.com Rochester, NY 1000 to 5000 Employees

North American Breweries Reviews

Updated Nov 26, 2013
North American Breweries – US – “Buffalo NY Office”

Richard A. (Rich) Lozyniak

Limitless Opportunity

Buffalo, NY

I have been working at North American Breweries full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNorth American Breweries is a great place to work for motivated individuals who are not satisfied with status quo, and who wish to have the freedom and power to affect change. There is a great deal of opportunity within the company. There's opportunity for professional growth and advancement, and opportunity to take an idea and run with it, whether in a senior position or an entry level position. NAB likes to stretch people--putting employees in situations where they aren't immediately able to be comfortable, per se. Rather, they are put in situations where they are forced to think creatively, learn from their mistakes and experiences, s t r e t c h their knowledge base, and ultimately be beneficial in the short term for the company, but especially for the long-term professional growth of the individual. From personal experience, this happens to me regularly. I am put into situations--whether it is leading projects with content I'm unfamiliar with, leading people I've not yet led, or managing time--where I don't immeditately know how I am going to be successful. I do know, though, that I have the tools and support I need to be successful. Also, at NAB, if you can dream it and justify it, no one will stop you from doing it. This is a really good company in terms of letting people run with ideas and implementing business-changing ideas regardless of seniority.

ConsYou are always working--which is a good thing if you're really into your business, but it is obviously not for everyone.

Lack of direction. Weak leadership

I have been working at North American Breweries

ProsFreedom. Ability to use creativity. Creative tools and POS. Spending budgets and freedom to spend. Lavish company meetings.

ConsNo work life balance. Be prepared to live the job. The direction of brands is not evolving or progressive. Weak areas in management and marketing are the reason for this specific pitfall. This is also a good notification of the future of the company. Not paying out employees for meeting their benchmarks is another large reason for turnover. Rule by fear, directly from the top.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore continuous training is needed. The AB methodology of hire young and pay low will catch up eventually!

Low morale reflective of poor management

Buffalo, NY

I have been working at North American Breweries full-time for more than a year

ProsThe CEO, the products, and generous vacation are the highlights of the company. The training program is evolving, but the Sales team has a long way to go.

ConsThe Sales organization is led by managers with poor leadership skills. They have been promoted too soon, for the wrong reasons, without any management training. While many of them are competent in the job, they tend to be unskilled in basic management and team leadership.

Job candidates are misled to believe that there is a team-based environment, however, there is rarely any direction and few people willing to help or provide guidance. Poor communication between departments and offices is typical, which causes unnecessary distress.

There is no work/life balance nor is there any effort to improve this.

High turnover is a result of the unstable organizational structure and is a clear indicator of employee dissatisfaction.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement training should be mandatory and regular (i.e. semi-annual, quarterly), particularly for new managers. Investigate the high turnover rates, which might help determine the cause and help to find ways that will improve employee retention.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unprofessional

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Berkeley, CA

I worked at North American Breweries

ProsFree beer but not worth it.

ConsBeing treated with disrespect and threatened.

Advice to Senior ManagementAvoid a lawsuit and clean house. It is inevitable. Seriously.

Fun. Interesting. Wish I could have stayed.

I have been working at North American Breweries

ProsGreat People to work with, good culture

ConsNot many open positions in my field (marketing) making it hard to move up through the ranks

Great Place to Work

I have been working at North American Breweries full-time for more than a year

ProsFor the driven and competent individual. If you are interested in scooting along and riding the coat-tails of the industry, then NAB will pose a challenge for you. This is one of the best companies in regards to allowing employees freedom to run their business and department in the fashion that suits them that adds value and is the most positive approach to a challenge.

ConsThe only con I can think of is instituting a bonus structure which pays based on individual performance and paying employees who perform, regardless of company results.

The money isn't worth it

I have been working at North American Breweries full-time for more than a year

ProsThe salaries are great and that is what sucks you in, but don't do it. I wish I could think of something nice to say, but I can not.

ConsIt is a 90 hour work week, minimum. Doing a great job and taking care of your real responsibilities does not ensure you staying in your job. It is sad, but many of the managers of people don't have the skills needed. Threats and disrespectful behavoir is the norm. Goals are unrealistic and help is not given when asked for and certainly never offered.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire an HR manager with HR and Legal experience. Give that department some actual power instead of one or two folks calling the shots based on their opinions not facts or performance. Clean house at corporate and upper regional management. Lawsuits are only avoidable for so long.

Just out for a Buck

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at North American Breweries

ProsBig company
Lots of VC to work with
Good product mix but really does nott care about the craft brews

ConsSales management is worried about EBITA. Goes down hill from there
Just a number or a square on the org chart.
Still the "Good Ol Boy network" fron AB days

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look under the dress. Most people would leave in a heart beat if the job market in the beverage biz was any beeter

Worked for North American Breweries? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at North American Breweries reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for North American Breweries CEO Richard A. (Rich) Lozyniak. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by North American Breweries employees.