North American Corporation

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John A. Miller

Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Analyst (Current Employee) Glenview, IL

ProsOpportunity to develop within the organization is present. Top-performers are provided opportunites to expand their knowledge base and experience.

ConsCompensation doesn't match amount of work or level off effort required to perform role. While hard work can be rewarded it can also be exploited. Turnover typically results in workload being distributed amongst others for extended periods of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo retain high-performing individuals, the organization must be willing to offer competitive compensation packages and salary adjustments for drastic role changes or additional responsibilities.

Stepping stone

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, friendly environment, work out facility onsite, family run company for over 100 years

ConsLimited work-life balance
    Benefits are outdated; 401K match is small, retireplan plan choices are bad, raises are small, tough to grow within company

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to recruit and bring in new talent, but find a better way to keep them there. If they are strong talent, they always leave for companies that will pay more or have better benefits including stronger PTO/holidays and work life balance.

Stuck in the Mud (NVISION specific)

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Glenview, IL

Pros-Small company with lots of one-on-ones with "higher ups"
    -Easy to get experience in multiple facets of the business
    -Some employees have good work/life balance
    -Very sales focused

Cons-Extremely low pay (about 35% less than market value for similar positions in other companies)
    -Terrible benefits
    -The bare minimum legally allowed for PTO
    -Some employees have terrible work/life balance
    -Getting experience in the other facets of the business usually results in more responsibility with no additional compensation
    -Questionable ethics in regards to dealing with vendor "rebates"
    -Too sales focused, so much so that every other position believes they are treated as second class

Advice to Senior ManagementTop talent leaves because pay, benefits, and PTO are incredibly low. Most of the employees that I have talked with feel like they are stuck in their position, but don't want to speak up because it just means more responsibility with no extra compensation.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not the best, not the worst

Sales (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosstable pay and - bargain for what you can at the onset, merit increases are granular as are chances of advancement.
    bonus can be rewarding.

Consglass ceiling is awful.
    incompetent middle and senior management.

Advice to Senior Managementadvise to ownership is to rattle the cage and break barriers.

Committed to Stay the Course: For Better or Worse

ProsIf you "win" the Draw of the Boss, you can expect an excellent work/life balance. Long-standing corporation for a reason: taking low risks yields average results. Lots of flexibility to find a way to solve problems.

ConsOnerous expectations for disheartingly low pay. Flat company yields few career improvements. Promotions are masked as lateral movements to prevent pay increases. Over-investment in sales leaves a bloated, aging staff creating massive holes in every other aspect of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest on those who routinely succeed on yearly reviews, not on more management.

Good place to gain experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Glenview, IL

ProsThere's opportunity to be involved in many aspects of the business. Since it's a mid-size "flat" company, you will eventually work with all levels of management. Some managers will help you advance by putting your work in front of senior leadership (if you are lucky). The company is growing quickly and is financially stable. Businesses generally like working with NAC so it makes the job easier. Six Sigma is a huge initiative that the owner takes seriously. There are many opportunities to be involved in that program to boost your resume.

ConsThe company needs to be more technologically advanced. They are starting this now but they are still far behind. They also tend to support the needs of the sales force before they support the operations side (I'm on the operations side). The management is very, very conservative, which can be hard to deal with if you are a younger generation. Benefits are expensive and narrow. There is also too much manager discretion on company rules. My manager is by the book so it's hard to watch other employees take advantage of "soft" benefits that I don't enjoy.

Advice to Senior ManagementNAC does a great job hiring new talent. However NAC loses this talent because they do not bend rules or evolve or offer greater benefits to these coveted employees. Turnover is high and if you lose key employees that know the systems, you lose massive efficiencies and stunt growth, which is the "drug of choice."

Has potential to be a great company, but poor management and limited opportunities for advancement make it a dead end.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Glenview, IL

ProsGood quality of people, a number of highly competent employees. Good location close to the train. Some managers do a great job. Work load can vary a lot depending on projects.

ConsVery little room for advancement. Raises are capped and are usually minimal. Top performers are not recognized. Senior management is out of touch with the employees. Division managers can be combative and make personal attacks against employees. Many department managers do not get along. Wearing a tie everyday is outdated. Poor performers are not fired quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunities for advancement. Low percentage raises are not a good way to keep top performing employees.

Feel appreciated, but underpaid and light benefits

Analyst (Current Employee) Glenview, IL

ProsGreat people, respectful environment, intelligent leadership

ConsUnderpaid, expensive benefits

Max of 75% of Bonus is possible! This is a rollout by management! So keep that in mind!

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the bonus 100% achievable. Increase the pay scale so that NAC isn't simply a stepping stone! These cons are why your turnover is SO high!

Family Run business that is trying to compete with the big boys.

ProsExperience in a competitive industry with exposure to fortune 500 customers

ConsToo small and limited opportunities unless your in senor leadership/account managers

Good Local Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Glenview, IL

Prossmaller company, less politics, easier to get things done quickly than having to deal with large company politics. Projects come to completion quicker, and more autonomy and scope of scope given smaller size.

ConsHard to advance if you're not brought in by your manager - many new senior leaders hired, and it's been out with the old, in with the new. If you're interviewing, make sure to know who you are reporting to, and how long he/she has been there, and who they are networked with in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll employees should go through diversity training, to learn that not every one is cookie cutter and the same. Different types of people bring great ideas.

Worked for North American Corporation? Contribute to the Community!