North American Membership

Updated November 30, 2014
2.3

James Heckman

Sr. Marketing Coordinator

I worked at North American Membership full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance. There was a vacation package where up to 2 weeks of vacation could be purchased..

Cons

Values seemed to shift when purchased by the Pilot Group. Layoffs seemed to take place on a monthly basis.

If I would have known...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at North American Membership full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice, competitive salary. Benefits were ok but no 401k for 6 mo. Really not much positive to say here . . .

Cons

Hired into newly created role. Alignment of responsibilities didn't match those presented in interviews. Team consisted of a few very veteran employees and an equal number of contractors to fill in for the majority that were laid off or left for better opportunities. Manager of team had been with company for over 20 years in the same position but lacked leadership, management, guidance or mentorship skills. Very stagnant team, environment and company. Privately held so little to no financial information found out about company prior to being hired but wish I would have dug into my network to vet out that this was a company financially struggling. Offices and atmosphere (Minnetonka, MN) gray and depressing. Wish I would have had a tour while interviewing - my gut would have warned me.

Get a consultant in to help with overall values & strategy. A name change will not cut it.

Mediocre

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at North American Membership full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They provide an above average benefit package.

Cons

Not much brand recognition with the ad community and poor digital assets

You must increase traffic and distribution of web products and re-design print products. They are not considered polished from an advertiser and agency perspective.

Run for the hills! Scout and NAMG is one in the same

Current Employee - Advertising Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Advertising Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at North American Membership full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Above average medical insurance. Low premiums for good coverage.
    Some of the workers bees are amazing people and fun to work with.

Cons

No 401K match
    Execs who don't care about the employees who are doing the work.
    Classroom style floor plan at the Minnesota location (which employees hate) and an office in NY that has seen better days. Old and dungy would describe the NY office.

The new administration is pulling the wool over the eyes of the owners (The Pilot Group).

Perhaps the worst culture i've seen in a company that is still in business!

No advice as they are so stuck on their own ego trip that outside opinions or ideas don't matter anyway.

Be warned

Former Employee - Sales in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Sales in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at North American Membership full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Casual dress attire, work/life balance, & the bond you share with your colleagues when you're jobs are all in dire straights.

Cons

low to average pay, decreasing benefits, no management, poor direction, unstable financial status, no logical reasoning behind the decisions made for the future, bad office politics, & just a flat out unreliable work status.

They need to listen to the employees at all levels, simplify your process and streamline it for everyone. There are too many people doing the same things but doing them at a different angle. Too many hands in the cookie jar for business dev. please focus on what works and build off that rather than fixing the mistakes.

And keep the office work in house in one location. Dont have it spread out across the country. This element plus the ever changing line of command process is killing you.

Unstable company

I worked at North American Membership full-time

Pros

I enjoyed working with my coworkers and the company atmosphere was fairly relaxed, although with each round of lay-offs, it got increasingly tense. Fun employee activities. Casual attire.

Cons

Low wages, consistent lay-offs, benefits kept decreasing. I always felt unsure if I would still have a job by the end of the week. With each round of lay-offs, the remaining employee's workload expanded which lead to increased job dissatisfaction - which also lead to decreased customer service.

Pay more attention to what the customers really need and want from their membership and stop giving them things they don't want.

Not much left of this once good company. Corporate vandals have renamed it Scout Media.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at North American Membership full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Survivors of the desolation continue to soldier on, though the battle be lost.

Cons

Company has been rolled into Scout.com to form Scout Media. Name change won't conceal the destruction wrought upon this company by the media geniuses within the Pilot Group since acquisition in 2007. Minnetonka location will likely last only until building lease expires.

Buy DeLorean. Go back in time to early 2007. Do not buy company.

A great opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at North American Membership (less than an year)

Pros

NAMG has a respectable corporate culture, an open communication environment, a friendly atmosphere, and knows the importance of work/life balance.

Cons

Recently had some layoffs because they eliminated one of their locations.

Bright Future Ahead!

Current Employee - Operations in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Operations in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at North American Membership full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Company is dedicated to repositioning themselves as a top player in the enthusiast markets they currently serve. Exciting to see the changes as they come to life! Challenging work, learn something new every day. Flexible culture with very comfortable and safe work environment. Game room coming soon!

Cons

Currently in transition period that requires a little extra time and effort from employees. Unfortunately, there is no 401K match.

Continue to lead by example. We look up to you! Also, continue to hire young talent, they hold the future of your company!

Lost Company - No direction out of nose dive

I worked at North American Membership

Pros

Pay can be above average.

Cons

Lack of leadership and direction.

North American Membership Photos