North American Membership

Updated Apr 15, 2014

James Heckman

Mediocre

Account Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThey provide an above average benefit package.

ConsNot much brand recognition with the ad community and poor digital assets

Advice to Senior ManagementYou must increase traffic and distribution of web products and re-design print products. They are not considered polished from an advertiser and agency perspective.

Run for the hills! Scout and NAMG is one in the same

Advertising Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsAbove average medical insurance. Low premiums for good coverage.
    Some of the workers bees are amazing people and fun to work with.

ConsNo 401K match
    Execs who don't care about the employees who are doing the work.
    Classroom style floor plan at the Minnesota location (which employees hate) and an office in NY that has seen better days. Old and dungy would describe the NY office.

The new administration is pulling the wool over the eyes of the owners (The Pilot Group).

Perhaps the worst culture i've seen in a company that is still in business!

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice as they are so stuck on their own ego trip that outside opinions or ideas don't matter anyway.

Be warned

Sales (Former Employee) Minnetonka, MN

ProsCasual dress attire, work/life balance, & the bond you share with your colleagues when you're jobs are all in dire straights.

Conslow to average pay, decreasing benefits, no management, poor direction, unstable financial status, no logical reasoning behind the decisions made for the future, bad office politics, & just a flat out unreliable work status.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to listen to the employees at all levels, simplify your process and streamline it for everyone. There are too many people doing the same things but doing them at a different angle. Too many hands in the cookie jar for business dev. please focus on what works and build off that rather than fixing the mistakes.

And keep the office work in house in one location. Dont have it spread out across the country. This element plus the ever changing line of command process is killing you.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unstable company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI enjoyed working with my coworkers and the company atmosphere was fairly relaxed, although with each round of lay-offs, it got increasingly tense. Fun employee activities. Casual attire.

ConsLow wages, consistent lay-offs, benefits kept decreasing. I always felt unsure if I would still have a job by the end of the week. With each round of lay-offs, the remaining employee's workload expanded which lead to increased job dissatisfaction - which also lead to decreased customer service.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to what the customers really need and want from their membership and stop giving them things they don't want.

Not much left of this once good company. Corporate vandals have renamed it Scout Media.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Minnetonka, MN

ProsSurvivors of the desolation continue to soldier on, though the battle be lost.

ConsCompany has been rolled into Scout.com to form Scout Media. Name change won't conceal the destruction wrought upon this company by the media geniuses within the Pilot Group since acquisition in 2007. Minnetonka location will likely last only until building lease expires.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuy DeLorean. Go back in time to early 2007. Do not buy company.

A great opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Minnetonka, MN

ProsNAMG has a respectable corporate culture, an open communication environment, a friendly atmosphere, and knows the importance of work/life balance.

ConsRecently had some layoffs because they eliminated one of their locations.

Bright Future Ahead!

Operations (Current Employee) Minnetonka, MN

ProsCompany is dedicated to repositioning themselves as a top player in the enthusiast markets they currently serve. Exciting to see the changes as they come to life! Challenging work, learn something new every day. Flexible culture with very comfortable and safe work environment. Game room coming soon!

ConsCurrently in transition period that requires a little extra time and effort from employees. Unfortunately, there is no 401K match.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to lead by example. We look up to you! Also, continue to hire young talent, they hold the future of your company!

Lost Company - No direction out of nose dive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay can be above average.

ConsLack of leadership and direction.

Great until the last ownership group took over

Marketing (Former Employee) Minnetonka, MN

ProsIt's a really good group of people dedicated to a teamwork approach. It's also an interesting business model that deals in interesting topics.

ConsFor years, the business grew and prospered. But when the current ownership group took over about five years ago, things went downhill. The business has been in a contraction mode ever since, shrinking from 12 to 7 Clubs due to poor management. The current ownership/management has taken a ruthless layoff strategy. eliminating the jobs of people ho have worked there 6 months to 20 years -- both young and old. It makes no difference. You can count on 2 to 3 layoffs a year. With the change to the digital world, it's true the business had to change and adapt. But management hasn't figured out how to monetize many of the new approaches. They keep shifting from strategy to strategy in a knee-jerk fashion.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink things through before implementing and then pulling the plug in a frenzied and confused fashion.

Radical layoffs, self destructive management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Minnetonka, MN

ProsGreat co-workers, enjoyable work. Passionate products.

ConsRadical layoffs of 370% of staff over recent years confirm aimless business model. Budgets slashed while executive team still collects bonuses. Deep morale and productivity issues create a death spiral of distrust and lost revenue.

Advice to Senior ManagementExercise more fiscal and productivity accountability in upper level management. Are business models sound or just self serving and destructive? Due dilligence will help reallign and possibly rejuvinate the company.

North American Membership Employee responded to this review

Mar 5, 2013

I'm sorry you feel this way and that you were part of a recent layoff. I've been with the company for over 12 years now and enjoy what I do very much. Like any business there are those who just skid ... More

Worked for North American Membership? Contribute to the Community!