North American Publishing Company

Updated September 16, 2014
Updated September 16, 2014
2.8

Ned S. Borowsky

Doesn't pretend to be anything else

Former Employee - Senior Editor  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Editor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at North American Publishing Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Promotes from within; very nice, fun people work here; great spot in the city near the Art Museum; decent benefits (but could be better); good team atmosphere; new leadership that's promising; adapting nicely to digital era. Hours are NOT insane and place is not a political mess like so many publishing companies.

Cons

Compensation could be better, so negotiate well upfront. Better benefits would be nice, such as better 401K match or gym membership. Sometimes too many meetings, but what company isn't guilt of that?

Great Company

I worked at North American Publishing Company

Pros

Nice area to work in Philly

Cons

Needs more food truck in the area

Non Management Management

I worked at North American Publishing Company

Pros

I didn't enjoy my time there.

Cons

The owner and management aren't loyal. They continually let mid level people go and bring in college grads at lower salaries.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Made no progress in my career, company is not going to survive

Current Employee - Sales  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at North American Publishing Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice office (but it's half empty from lots of people quitting or being let go, so I doubt they'll be there long), some nice people

Cons

Company is doing very poorly, they are losing money and won't survive for an extended future, they've been letting tons of valuable employees go not to do performance, but due to them hemorrhaging money; lots people have been quitting; they'll let you go before they give you a raise - even if you've agreed on it; not progressive at all, unwilling to change despite saying they want to; to the interns: don't do it, they'll work you 50-60 hours, not pay you well and I've never seen them hire one; it's really boring and not fulfilling at all; it's definitely a boys club, don't expect to be promoted; many incompetent employees including managers who are there solely because they are friends with the very high placed people in the company; salary is poor, benefits are worse; health insurance was cut to save money and is now pretty much nonexistent, I've had to pay thousands of my own money for prescriptions; talking behind each other's backs in encouraged; promotions don't happen often; not understanding or reasonable about personal matters; some inappropriate upper level management going way over the line of sexual harassment, nothing is done to address this

Let managers that aren't doing well go, even if they're your friends; I don't even think you can fix it at this point, sell everything and try not to go bankrupt

Decent Company

Former Employee - Technical Support  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at North American Publishing Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There are reasonably good opportunities to grow and learn with this company. There is a decent work/life balance.

Cons

The pay is not particularly great, and expectations can be a bit unreasonable during busy times.

Beware

Former Employee - Production  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Production in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at North American Publishing Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Close proximity to the art museum

Cons

After working there for a several years I realized that it was a boys club, lacked diversity in upper management, and actually seemed to prefer the status quo.

You have some xenophobic managers that talk out loud in public spaces about things and groups of people (ethnic slurs) that could cause you some legal problems. But then again I find it very hard to believe that the upper management is unaware of this- so oh well carry on.

Great Company, good management

Former Employee - Marketing Director  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at North American Publishing Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There has been a definite positive shift in team moral at NAPCO. My management team was great. They are supportive, and they encourage employees to better themselves and take their position to the next level. They trust their employees and do not micro manage. I have definitely grown and improved my skills at this company. I would recommend working here, I am actually very sad to go. I cannot believe the number of negative reviews below.

Cons

I really don't have any. Maybe benefits.

Keep doing what you are doing!

Yes, Print is dead. Stop saying it isn't.

I worked at North American Publishing Company full-time

Pros

Great location. Some good, caring people.

Cons

Most everything else. Too slow.

Some Good. Some Bad

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at North American Publishing Company

Pros

The pay wasn't too bad and there were some very nice people to work with.

Cons

Depending on who your manager would be depends on if you'll like your job.

Don't encourage back stabbing and instead encourage a team mentality.

A publishing dinosaur

Former Employee - Editor  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Editor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at North American Publishing Company

Pros

-the office is new and very sunlit.
    -there is a variety of content, so there's a nice mix of personalities and 'something for everyone'

Cons

-stagnant, uptight atmosphere. doesn't feel congenial. people are afraid to be themselves.
    -upper managers are averse to change and new ideas. if you have an idea, there's a lot of paper work to fill out and you might threaten someone in a higher up position than you and eventually be fired!
    -very high employee turnover rate due to constant layoffs and firings and talent running away to more promising, relevant careers.
    -people are more concerned about protecting their job titles and responsibilites than growing the company or its products
    -they make younger employees share hotel rooms with co-workers on business trips and give more senior employees their own rooms. there's just so much wrong with this.
    -there are so many "lifers" who have never worked anywhere else, maybe never lived outside of the philly area and these folks contribute to the dull, stagnant atmosphere.

-be more transparent. don't make a speech at the holiday party about how great we're doing this year, and lay off 10 people the following day.
    -break down the huge barriers between departments and publications. the only way to compete with more cutting-edge publishers is to integrate different departments
    -you need to value your employees and talent more. you are too quick to get the axe out when budgets shrink. instead think about how your current talent can help out company-wide, don't just lay off and and then rehire to put out a fire.

Worked for North American Publishing Company? Contribute to the Community!