North American Publishing Company

Add Photos

Ned S. Borowsky

Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice area to work in Philly

ConsNeeds more food truck in the area

Non Management Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI didn't enjoy my time there.

ConsThe owner and management aren't loyal. They continually let mid level people go and bring in college grads at lower salaries.

Made no progress in my career, company is not going to survive

Sales (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsNice office (but it's half empty from lots of people quitting or being let go, so I doubt they'll be there long), some nice people

ConsCompany is doing very poorly, they are losing money and won't survive for an extended future, they've been letting tons of valuable employees go not to do performance, but due to them hemorrhaging money; lots people have been quitting; they'll let you go before they give you a raise - even if you've agreed on it; not progressive at all, unwilling to change despite saying they want to; to the interns: don't do it, they'll work you 50-60 hours, not pay you well and I've never seen them hire one; it's really boring and not fulfilling at all; it's definitely a boys club, don't expect to be promoted; many incompetent employees including managers who are there solely because they are friends with the very high placed people in the company; salary is poor, benefits are worse; health insurance was cut to save money and is now pretty much nonexistent, I've had to pay thousands of my own money for prescriptions; talking behind each other's backs in encouraged; promotions don't happen often; not understanding or reasonable about personal matters; some inappropriate upper level management going way over the line of sexual harassment, nothing is done to address this

Advice to Senior ManagementLet managers that aren't doing well go, even if they're your friends; I don't even think you can fix it at this point, sell everything and try not to go bankrupt

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent Company

Technical Support (Former Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsThere are reasonably good opportunities to grow and learn with this company. There is a decent work/life balance.

ConsThe pay is not particularly great, and expectations can be a bit unreasonable during busy times.

Beware

Production (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsClose proximity to the art museum

ConsAfter working there for a several years I realized that it was a boys club, lacked diversity in upper management, and actually seemed to prefer the status quo.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have some xenophobic managers that talk out loud in public spaces about things and groups of people (ethnic slurs) that could cause you some legal problems. But then again I find it very hard to believe that the upper management is unaware of this- so oh well carry on.

Great Company, good management

Marketing Director (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThere has been a definite positive shift in team moral at NAPCO. My management team was great. They are supportive, and they encourage employees to better themselves and take their position to the next level. They trust their employees and do not micro manage. I have definitely grown and improved my skills at this company. I would recommend working here, I am actually very sad to go. I cannot believe the number of negative reviews below.

ConsI really don't have any. Maybe benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing!

Yes, Print is dead. Stop saying it isn't.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat location. Some good, caring people.

ConsMost everything else. Too slow.

Some Good. Some Bad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe pay wasn't too bad and there were some very nice people to work with.

ConsDepending on who your manager would be depends on if you'll like your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't encourage back stabbing and instead encourage a team mentality.

A publishing dinosaur

Editor (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

Pros-the office is new and very sunlit.
    -there is a variety of content, so there's a nice mix of personalities and 'something for everyone'

Cons-stagnant, uptight atmosphere. doesn't feel congenial. people are afraid to be themselves.
    -upper managers are averse to change and new ideas. if you have an idea, there's a lot of paper work to fill out and you might threaten someone in a higher up position than you and eventually be fired!
    -very high employee turnover rate due to constant layoffs and firings and talent running away to more promising, relevant careers.
    -people are more concerned about protecting their job titles and responsibilites than growing the company or its products
    -they make younger employees share hotel rooms with co-workers on business trips and give more senior employees their own rooms. there's just so much wrong with this.
    -there are so many "lifers" who have never worked anywhere else, maybe never lived outside of the philly area and these folks contribute to the dull, stagnant atmosphere.

Advice to Senior Management-be more transparent. don't make a speech at the holiday party about how great we're doing this year, and lay off 10 people the following day.
    -break down the huge barriers between departments and publications. the only way to compete with more cutting-edge publishers is to integrate different departments
    -you need to value your employees and talent more. you are too quick to get the axe out when budgets shrink. instead think about how your current talent can help out company-wide, don't just lay off and and then rehire to put out a fire.

NOT a company i'd recommend to anyone

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsGreat work/life time balance
    Centrally located in the city of Philadelphia, that's it.

Cons"Boys Club" environment - if you are not one of the "boys" your chance for promotion are simply "non existent" to none to say the least...believe me....
    Mediocre upper management (that's giving them "some" credit) MIDDLE AGE ANGST environment from boys club guys who have little desire to take risks, be creative or push the envelope to solve obstacles...they'll remain "idle" forever, protecting their "turf" at all costs - unwilling to bend - doing "anything" they can to save their jobs...boys club guys here NEVER leave - not because of windfall achievement but due to fear of "not finding a similar stable job" in the future...attitude "status quo" is the standard here.
    Ungrateful snobby management "they could care less" attitude towards employees - no matter how much you "stick out" through your individual achievements.
    Company "out to get you" attitude by offering as little as they can and getting away with it for as long as possible. Not happy? ..don't complain - you'll be replaced in a flash!!

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize and VALUE employees at all costs.
    Why the snobby attitude?
    Dissolve your "boys club" mentality - you are hampering equal opportunity for ALL employees and affecting morale by knowing "you'll never ever be promoted"
    Get rid of some unbelievably incompetent management- who are not that competent to begin with and are unable to treat your people with respect, professionalism and dignity

Worked for North American Publishing Company? Contribute to the Community!