North Carolina State University

North Carolina State University Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

North Carolina State University Chancellor W. Randolph Woodson

W. Randolph Woodson

Pros
  • Very easy work, casual work environment, friendly managers overall great environment to work(in 17 reviews)

• You will make more in private but the quality of life and work-life balance are great(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Since it is a state school, there are a lot of budget cuts happening right now(in 8 reviews)

• Sometimes limited resources as a research graduate students(in 5 reviews)

Good I like it

Prosmore about engineering, which is very strong

Consthe ranking is not very high

Grader/TA

Grader/TA (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsGreat learning opportunity and good culture

ConsNothing bad to mention about

Comparative Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsCollaborative environment with lots of access to different equipment and people with different expertise. Very diverse atmosphere with lots of opportunities for translational research. Lab space built in 2005, so nice facilities with separate lab and office spaces.

ConsMake sure to pick a good advisor that will mentor you. Expectations related both to time commitment and level of independence are higher than appropriate (even for graduate school). Funding is sometimes an issue (but that happens anywhere)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Flexible environment on a great research campus

Research Technician (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsFlexibility in schedule, good vacation/sick leave policy, good benefits

ConsNo upperward mobility, no merit based raises (in the current political climate, no salary increases at all), lots of red tape on the management side of things.

Graduate research assistant

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsDecent facilities, good library, computational facilities.

ConsBeware of 1200 in fees (not tuition), every semester, campus cops (willing to write tickets for no reason)

URec is the worst

Facility Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly staff members, and everyone is college-aged in the workplace. Flexible schedule and they usually listen to your hourly requests. Pretty easy to get shifts covered.

ConsProvided very little training, promotions were done purely through favoritism, management was barely involved yet acted like this was the most important job of your career. Also treated you like you were five. The computers were blocked, and they wanted you to basically be a robot.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of all of them.

NCSU

Director (Current Employee)

ProsSurrounded by a good number of smart people on my team
    Flexibility

ConsSenior Leadership has close ears and doesn't want to hear the needs of those that work in the org.
    Raises are promised when people are promoted and while the promotion occurs - more responsibilities, title changes, the money never comes and the answer is always "we are working on it" This goes on for years.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo what you say you are going to do
    Treat people fairly

Graduate Research Assistant-IE

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsGraduate researchers directly report to their advising faculty. In most cases, the role calls for independent work with adviser playing roles of mentor and setting long term goals.

ConsPay is obviously minimal and it is not adjusted for rate of inflation. Typically involves 60hr work weeks for 20hrs of pay. I must add; I am writing this review for access information on glassdoor.com. These work conditions are standard norms of graduate research and one should not pursue graduate research if you are not self-motivated to work hard and long hours with little financial compensation.

Worked as a graduate research assistant while pursuing my PhD

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsNCSU is a great school. The facilities are state of the art and the opportunities to learn and further your education make graduate school a great investment of your time.

ConsThe biggest hindrances to quality research at this university are the incompetent tech transfer office and a very slow IRB review board. Iv'e had to write several of my patents myself because the Tech transfer office was not able to meet deadlines or keep up with filing paperwork on time. I've had many offers to license several of my patents and the university's tech trans office can't seem to follow up with anything.

Best place to study and work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

Prosgood environment, clean facilities, great technology

ConsI cannot find any cons! maybe the fact that you need a car because buses get very crowded

Worked for North Carolina State University? Contribute to the Community!