North Carolina State University

Updated September 28, 2014
4.0

North Carolina State University Chancellor W. Randolph Woodson
W. Randolph Woodson

Pros
  • I don't feel as if the department is super competitive and I have a nice work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Work environment is great and you get to travel around North Carolina (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Since it is a state school, there are a lot of budget cuts happening right now (in 8 reviews)

• Department politics can affect your experience in the program and/or your lab (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Graduate RA/TA, PhD student in engineering

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at North Carolina State University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you like staying in school, working long hours and teaching, a PhD is for you!

Cons

long work hours, low stipend, juggling classes and research at the same time.

help graduate students with graduation milestones so they stay on schedule

NCSU Graduate School

I worked at North Carolina State University full-time

Pros

opportunities, collaborations, faculty involvement, quality of education, faculty expertise

Cons

antiquated facilities (some), university recreation is the worst

remove UREC and requirement for student organizations to become club sports in order to have free access to gym facilities.

Undergraduate Volunteer. Great environment, very professional, learned a lot.

Former Employee - Career Development Center Ambassador  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Career Development Center Ambassador in Raleigh, NC

I worked at North Carolina State University as an intern for more than a year

Pros

I had great co-workers and very trained and prepared advisors. I learned a lot about professional development and career searching as well as public speaking. I always felt like I was in a safe, encouraging environment with a great support system.

Cons

It was sometimes difficult to plan school work around time commitments to the volunteer position. Also, there were late Friday meetings that kept me from traveling out of town sooner.

I think the program is great!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Good Engineering & Technology University

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at North Carolina State University part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The university in general has a good engineering program and some engineering tracks are among the top 10 in the nation. The engineering campus is growing fast and recently opened one of the most high-tech libraries in the nation. The university also hosts two NSF ERCs and will host a new innovation technology center in wide band-gap power electronics and power semiconductor technology. Thus, there are plenty of research opportunities in general, and especially in electrical engineering, materials engineering and so on.

Cons

Although ECE department has the highest number of students among of engineering departments, it has the lowest base salary for teaching and research assistant positions which has not changed over the years. The state has been suffering from a budget deficit which has strongly affected the economy of university and graduate student support plan. The student fee has been growing steadily over the past years and they have one of the highest fees.

Summer Research Intern

Former Employee - Research Associate  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Raleigh, NC

I worked at North Carolina State University as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Got a feel of how PHD life is.

Cons

A lot of paper reading and writing. Low pay.

Research Assistant

Former Employee - Research Assistant  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at North Carolina State University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work environment is great and you get to travel around North Carolina.

Cons

Balancing student and work life if your enrolled.

Nice to be a graduate student at NCSU

I have been working at North Carolina State University

Pros

Good work-life balance and experienced researchers.

Cons

Payment is lower than working in industry.

It's who you know, quality of work does not matter in non-academic posit, govt job, typically hard to get hired OR fired

Current Employee - Housekeeping, Bookstore, Steam Plants  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Housekeeping, Bookstore, Steam Plants in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at North Carolina State University as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

It is a govt job so hard to get fired. I am mainly talking about non-academia jobs. As it is a university, in general the work conditions are pleasant except for housekeeping and food service, the very lowest ends of the employment food chain. I worked as temp at bookstore and in steam plants, enjoyed most of people at both. Housekeeping, not so much.

Cons

Many incompetent people need to be fired in both mgmt and non-mgmt positions, but this is nearly impossible once hired. Housekeeping mgmt treats employees like meat. You are never doing a good job, you never work fast enough. Pay is low. I was a temp for five years and never could get hired. Except for housekeeping, I was always told I did a good job but although I have applied many times over the years, I cannot get hired perm. This is no liberal university - welcome to the American south, where right-wing politicians run everything and labor is spit upon by both Republicans and Democrats, the most right-wing state govt Democrats in the country. Basically, screw the average person seems to be a nationwide phenomenon in America since Reagan took office and it is getting worse.

Work-life balance is not bad. When the day is done, it is done, you go home. Steam plant operators have the worst schedules, working several 12-hour days, always being on call. In genearl, the problem with getting hired being difficult and being fired nearly impossible is an ongoing situation of the public sector that by nature will never be resolved, so no use giving advice for obvious problems.

The University itself is a good community with a challenging and diverse learning environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at North Carolina State University full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It is a good working environment for learning new things about people and the many different cultures.

Cons

The benefit package seems to decline every year and salaries for some do not appear to keep up with the industry.

Students are great; leadership lacking

Current Employee - Associate Director  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Students, people you meet from other departments.

Cons

People in top leadership positions who have been there forever and can do whatever htey want without checks and balances. Lack of advancement opportunities

North Carolina State University Photos

Worked for North Carolina State University? Contribute to the Community!