North Carolina State University

North Carolina State University Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

North Carolina State University Chancellor W. Randolph Woodson

W. Randolph Woodson

Pros
  • Very easy work, casual work environment, friendly managers overall great environment to work (in 17 reviews)

• You will make more in private but the quality of life and work-life balance are great (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Since it is a state school, there are a lot of budget cuts happening right now (in 8 reviews)

• Sometimes limited resources as a research graduate students (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

My experience has been positive. I've gained a great deal of knowledge and cutting-edge research experience.

Postdoctoral Research Scholar (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsThere are significant resources and facilities to support investigators research activities. The faculty are world-renowned in their respective areas of research and are very supportive in mentoring junior investigators.

ConsThe salary for individuals in training (i.e. postdocs) is not very competitive with other institutions. There is not much career placement support in place to assist with the job search and placement.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpgrade the salary policy for postdocs to become competitive with the national average. Need to implement a more formal mentoring program to assist junior investigators in training.

Wonderful

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

Prosflexible time, awesome supervisor, learning on the job

ConsNone, it was pleasant working and schooling here

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

I enjoyed working at NC State

Fundraiser (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsI loved working for a University -- there is a great deal of energy and students. The benefits of working for the state are many -- health benefits are paid for by the state, and there is a good 401K match. There is also a good deal of vacation.

ConsMaternity leave is not paid for, and sometimes we did not get raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think there were some people working there who did not work hard, so those who did work hard felt a bit demoralized. However, for the most part, I enjoyed my experience and my colleagues.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good working environment

ProsThis is a nice place to work. The work -life balance is wonderful. The people here are great to work with and we get to take part in some exciting projects.

ConsThere are some department politics to deal with and the willingness to adopt new technologies is sometimes slow. Pay is somewhat lower than in private industry.

Research technician in a biology lab.

ProsCool working environment. Lab work is fun.

ConsNo vacations, less paid holidays.

NCSU

Director (Current Employee)

ProsSurrounded by a good number of smart people on my team
    Flexibility

ConsSenior Leadership has close ears and doesn't want to hear the needs of those that work in the org.
    Raises are promised when people are promoted and while the promotion occurs - more responsibilities, title changes, the money never comes and the answer is always "we are working on it" This goes on for years.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo what you say you are going to do
    Treat people fairly

Good city, good weather, no pollution and good people

Assistant (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsGood, good, good, good, good

ConsOkay, okay, okay, okay, okay

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease keep close watch on departments

Entry Level (Food Service) No advancement! No promotion! No training for temporary employees!

Food Service Tech (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsBuilding a positive relationship with students, faculty staff, and coworkers. Meeting some of the brightest students. Easy job, meals are free!

ConsThere is no respect in upper management. No ethic guideline. "It's you do what I say or you're fired"

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more ethic training! Show some team work during rush time, instead of the office on the computer with door shut.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great place for starters

Process Engineer (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsThis place is an amazing combination of industry and academia. A class 1000 clean room shared by multiple companies and academic institutions in Research Triangle Park. One of the best advantages of working at NC Nanofabrication is that you'll have the chance to get trained one-on-one by staff members who have seen variety of work scenes previously.

ConsYou will miss the huge group of co-workers and events you'll normally see in a bigger setting and company. Other than that there will be no disadvantage.

This is a great place for a graduate student to work and study!

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsYour graduate education is fully paid for, and the experience is extremely valuable when looking for a job after graduation.

ConsThe hours can be somewhat long at time. Additionally, the demands can be quite stressful, depending on who your advisor is.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Worked for North Carolina State University? Contribute to the Community!