North Colorado Medical Center

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rick Sutton

Great place to work that has an overall positive environment.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
Greeley, CO

I have been working at North Colorado Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

ProsProactive with keeping up with healthcare reform. Strong leadership

ConsLike with any company this day in age doing more with less is the trend and this can be difficult at times in the healthcare industry

Constant turmoil at middle and upper management levels

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

I have been working at North Colorado Medical Center full-time

ProsManagement does try to do nice things for staff members (award tokens to buy Banner gear/clothing, ice cream party, etc). Clean, generally quiet environment makes for a welcome change in a hospital setting. Frequent openings are available. There are other staff members who work just as hard and keep trying to make a positive difference.

ConsVery poor leadership and management at multiple levels. Communication is sorely lacking and geared towards people in staff positions versus patient care positions. Management does try to do things for staff but they seem to frequently miss the mark. Tokens are rarely handed out and, frankly, I'd rather get paid more for the hard work I do than be given a single token a few times a year. Which brings us to the pay issues. This could be a nationwide problem seeing how I've worked for other facilities with equally as dismal pay, but this review is for NCMC so the pay issue is relevant. Although you will make more than minimum wage and you will make a little (aprox 2.5%) over what the social security administrations says is the national average for pay (not of nurses but all working people), you will not be paid what you are worth based on the criticality of patients, patient load, and level of responsibility you are expected shoulder while caring for patients. We could debate the many reasons for this, but this isn't the forum for it and it doesn't really matter; it matters if they change it, but they don't.

Management has been in turmoil for years now. Everyone says "it used to be so much better but I know it will be better again soon, and I need the job because the economy is lousy and I can't afford to quit". Well, 3 years of "it'll be better again soon" just doesn't cut it in my book.

Bringing up not just suggestions for change but also realistic plans for implementation (coming up with solutions, not problems) is seen as a threat and not taken well by current management. As a result you place a target on your back and you will be treated as a threat.

Staffing numbers are either critically short and you take on more patients than you should have to or staffing is well over so you don't make hours. There is no happy medium with patient load and staffing which increases stress levels.

Patient satisfaction is the only thing that matters. Yes, it's important for patients and their family members to have as good an experience as we can provide but staff satisfaction is also just as important. Happy staff ensure patients and family have excellent experiences for years and years while unhappy staff can only provide satisfactory care for a limited time. In general, the harder you work the more they'll work you. It's not uncommon to see whiners and slackers move on to cushy positions while the staff who work hard each shift are simply asked to absorb the excess with no praise or compensation.

The main corporate office is in Arizona and everything Arizona does is the best ever and immediately disseminated out to the other regions. Unfortunately not everything Arizona does is as great as Arizona thinks it is and concepts that work there don't work well here. But none of that matters because come heck or high water we will be exactly like Arizona for "standardization purposes". Which is great, unless it doesn't work.

Advice to Senior ManagementSignificant improvements could be made if management would listen to ideas for improvement and work towards ensuring staff are as satisfied as the patients we care for.

Very good job with many professional colleagues.

Nurse Anesthetist (Current Employee)
Greeley, CO

I have been working at North Colorado Medical Center full-time for more than a year

ProsIt's located in Colorado. The money and the time off are excellent and the people here are super nice. It's a very pleasant work atmosphere.

ConsThe only con toward working here is that it's located in Greeley CO. So it is an hour commute to get to work. I don't want to live in Greeley due to the distance from the mountains and the smell of the meat packing plants in Greeley.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Information is power

RN (Current Employee)

I have been working at North Colorado Medical Center

ProsThey offer employment opportunity in areas that other front range hospitals don't even have, and some areas of specialty that truly go above and beyond anything else offered in the area.

My department offers unparalleled opportunities for individual involvement; everything from teaching to committees and everything else in between.

Banner does a great job of promoting nurses to improve themselves; they offer tuition reimbursement and incentives to complete advanced certifications. They also provide opportunities for nurses to demonstrate their expertise and then have monetary rewards through the DANCE committee.

I feel that Banner provides competitive nursing employment in the Colorado Front Range

ConsUpper management has been in complete turmoil for over a year, and the employees feel that impact keenly.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep you staff better informed of decision that affect our hospital, community and employees. For example the land purchase in Frederick that fell through - the staff ended up reading about it in the newspaper.

Worked for North Colorado Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at North Colorado Medical Center reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for North Colorado Medical Center CEO Rick Sutton. All reviews posted anonymously by North Colorado Medical Center employees.