North East Independent School District
www.neisd.net San Antonio, TX 5000+ Employees

North East Independent School District Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Beth Plummer

Best school district in San Antonio!

I have been working at North East Independent School District

ProsGenerally, polite and friendly faculty and staff who take initiative to help new teachers. Great networking once you are employed. Better pay than other school districts minus NISD.

ConsGreat work life balance, especially if you teach elementary. Opportunity for growth from within. Teachers help each other out and are willing to collaborate and share ideas.

Good employer on Northside of San Antonio

Academic Dean (Former Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I worked at North East Independent School District full-time for more than a year

ProsI enjoyed the knowledge base of the other employees there and felt that the supervisors had a lot of experience.

ConsI didn't advance within my organization the way I would have liked and see others doing the same.

best district ever

Teacher (Former Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I worked at North East Independent School District full-time for more than 10 years

Prosalways informed, always looks for a way to keep and get good teachers rigorous and strong management...

ConsHorrid maintenance manager at maintenance office...very rude and bad treatment of head custodians along with janitors from foremen....

Advice to Senior Managementwish they would look into the unethical treatment and unrealistic expectations asked from maintenance crews....

Ifff

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at North East Independent School District full-time

Prossome of the best teachers that I worked with. Teachers who love the kids, patient with them and go beyond the distance

ConsTeachers are not given credit except the ones who's philosophy is in agreement with some of the admin

Advice to Senior ManagementA true leader, serves his people and not the opposite. Showing empathy and apologizing is admitting mistakes which shows your humanity. To the district leaders, you have no idea what is truly going on since you never show up, don't think there is a red flag when you have wonderful teachers leaving the school and retiring early. Last year alot left. Admin did not clean house and got rid of the worst teachers but got rid of the greatest teachers I have ever known. The reality is ED white is a school that NEISD wished they never had and the kids know that!

Kin Assistant was great. Wish I could do it again.

KIN Assistant (Former Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I worked at North East Independent School District part-time for more than a year

ProsWorked while in college. This was a well payed, fun, rewarding job. Great people, structure and training. For the most part the people you work with ate great as is the management. The orientation is amazing. Brings your group of coworkers together and really prepare you for the unexpected.

ConsNo work flexibility for college students. The majority of employees are students and I had to quit this wonderful job to finish my degree.

Advice to Senior ManagementCatering the work hours to current college students pursuing a career in teaching or childcare would help.

Extremely Betrayed

Math Teacher (Former Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I worked at North East Independent School District full-time for less than a year

ProsNEISD is considered one of the better districts to work for. They have a history of choosing to keep teachers (and cutting costs elsewhere), rather than letting them go during budget cuts. I was very excited to work at WCHS because I had grown up in the area, and WCHS is known for excellence in academics, fine arts, and sports.

My colleagues were all very kind and helpful; it was the only thing that made the job bearable.

ConsI was so disappointed by how extremely under-supported the faculty is by the administration. Teachers being bullied into fixing grades and passing students so as not to hurt their feelings (or upset the parents) is ultra-common.

The math department got in trouble for having "too much math" in our lessons and assignments. We were constantly being harassed to "dumb down" the material and curve student scores. Everything is micromanaged; we were even told when we could or couldn't give homework and tests (only on even numbered days). We couldn't give zeros when a student cheated on a test, and we couldn't deny a make-up test for any reason. This is just the tip of the iceberg...

The bottom line is that it turned out to be all about making our numbers look good, regardless of how much our students actually learned. I was told by an Assistant Principle that even though a student had very badly failed the state standardized test for my subject (as well as everything in my class), I still had to pass her for the year. She explained that it was more important that she be put in their test remediation program, than for her to actually learn the material. When I refused to pass students who had failed the second semester on a professional and ethical stance, I was told that no one would ever know it was me to sign off on it, and that no one would ever tell. How's that for high standards and caring about what happens to these kids in the long run??

Churchill used to be the "TOP DOG" of NESID, but times have changed, and rather than addressing the needs of their current demographics, WCHS would rather just fix their grades and cheat their students out of a real education.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your teachers be professionals and don't use them as your scapegoats to cover your own unethical choices! Start genuinely caring about your students in the long run--not what's going to "hurt their feelings" and get their parents all flustered. Try backing your teachers who are actually with the kids everyday, and not the parents who just want their way!

Good college job

KIN Assistant (Former Employee)
San Antonio, TX

ProsGood pay for an hourly position, you get holidays and weekends off, and you get to interact with kids. It is a good job to take if you are considering teaching because you get your own set of kids that you are in charge of for most of the day. You are presented with many different tasks which leaves for a different day everyday. They will work with you to get at a site closest to your residence and they are very understanding with college schedules.

ConsBarely get 20 hrs a week, less if you are at middle schools. You will have kids that are disrespectful but I think thats a chance that comes with working with kids.

Advice to Senior ManagementDirector evaluations by their staff would be awesome!

District Tries to Do the Right Thing

Teacher (Former Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I worked at North East Independent School District full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWant to be pro-active
Educate the teachers
Put the students first
Teachers truly care!

ConsAdministrators of the schools make it look good, but are afraid (of what I don't know)
STAAR Tests=Too much is placed on passing this. What needs to be done is all schools should concentrate on Mastery Learning

Advice to Senior ManagementSchool Level Management: Stick to your guns. Believe in and follow your values.
Senior Management: Look at Mastery learning at the elementary and middle school level, then the students will be accustomed to learning at the higher levels. Find programs to train parents how to be parents.

Facility Maintenance

EMCS Systems Administrator (Current Employee)

I have been working at North East Independent School District full-time for more than a year

ProsInvolved in everyday aspects of environmental control

ConsNone to mention. Completely satisfied

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep an open mind and utilize your assets

Interesting... Never seen a work environment like this one.

I have been working at North East Independent School District

Pros- Time off, get basically all the same time off as the students (except for summers if working at Central Office)
- Some supervisors are great and give you good direction and praise
- Good benefits packages available, although a little pricey

Cons- Promotions and positions are obtained largely based on who you know, not what you know
- Pay is not based on skills or worth, very odd system of pay based on how many years you've worked, regardless of if you earned a raise or deserve a raise - and pay is not very high for support staff.
- Annual evaluations usually amount to nothing, no changes are made
- No consequences for poor performance. No one gets fired. If you're stuck with a bad employee or boss you're stuck with them until they either leave the company or downsizing allows you to get rid of them
- Poor overall management
- Lack of communication, lack of understanding accross departments of the 'bigger pitcure'
- Administrative assistants are under qualified, they don't have the skills necessary to create professional documents
- A lot of gossip, more water-cooler talk than work

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher outside business consultant to look at best practices and evaluate the staff. Allow them the ability to get rid of useless staff. Also, either create a department or higher a company to train support staff in the programs they use. There is more to MS Office than what is being used, staff is wasting their time doing things the long and hard way. Time could be more effectively and efficiently used.

Worked for North East Independent School District? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at North East Independent School District reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for North East Independent School District CEO Beth Plummer. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by North East Independent School District employees.