North East Independent School District

Beth Plummer

1. Excellent School District & Great Work Environment

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at North East Independent School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This district has excellent leadership from the campus level upward and I always feel like I have the opportunity to learn new things. This helps me constantly grow as a professional and provide a great classroom environment for my students. I feel supported as an educator and treated as a true professional.

Cons

This is one of the best positions I have had and I can't think of any true cons. If I could change one thing, I would probably make the dental insurance plan more affordable and better.

2. One of the best districts in San Antonio

Current Employee - Teacher in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at North East Independent School District full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They are working hard to be innovative, spending money on technology. They also work hard to upgrade older campuses.

Cons

As with all big school districts (or big companies), there is a lot of bureaucracy, which results in needless waste. Also, big companies offer more opportunities for good employees to feel stunted, and bad employees to hide under all the paperwork.

Advice to Management

I believe NEISD has a strong upper management team (led by Brian Gottardy) and has the potential to make some fantastic positive changes in public education. I encourage them to expand their paradigms by studying the way silicon valley companies are run, as well as their competition (such as KIPP charter schools).

3. Teaching in a Large City

Former Employee - Teacher in San Antonio, TX

I worked at North East Independent School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working with children is always interesting, challenging, and rewarding.

Cons

Low pay for the hours worked and stress involved. Lots of pressure and most teachers are unhappy and overworked. Parents can be ridiculously abusive. Administrators suffer from trickle down regarding testing and funding.

Advice to Management

Listen to your teachers - they know what is best for students. Pay better. Quit demanding we tutor before and after school.

5. Management

Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at North East Independent School District full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Several School districts in the area so pay is competitive, work with students

Cons

Management is lacking experience (school principals, assistant principals in-particular), if you don't "kiss butt" of people in-charge of your position you will be sought out and reprimanded.

Whether your supervisor has experience or not, they will seek their personal supervisor's "recommendation" regardless of any material facts.

So basically, have fun getting harassed working at a higher-paying McDonalds

Advice to Management

Too many have no clue what they are actually doing in education and are only continuing to grip harder to money rather than performing adequate job performance themselves

6. Great school district to work for!

Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at North East Independent School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They offered a very competitive salary for teachers. I moved from another area of the country and got a significant pay raise.

Cons

Like any school district, there are politics involved with working here. Do a good job, and you'll be rewarded.

7. Best School District in San Antonio!

I have been working at North East Independent School District

Pros

I love my co-workers and administration. My supervisors are supportive. I love my school and all of the technology.

Cons

Paperwork, continuous changes to procedures.

8. Best school district in San Antonio!

I have been working at North East Independent School District

Pros

Generally, polite and friendly faculty and staff who take initiative to help new teachers. Great networking once you are employed. Better pay than other school districts minus NISD.

Cons

Great work life balance, especially if you teach elementary. Opportunity for growth from within. Teachers help each other out and are willing to collaborate and share ideas.

9. Good employer on Northside of San Antonio

Former Employee - Academic Dean in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Academic Dean in San Antonio, TX

I worked at North East Independent School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the knowledge base of the other employees there and felt that the supervisors had a lot of experience.

Cons

I didn't advance within my organization the way I would have liked and see others doing the same.

10. best district ever

Former Employee - Teacher in San Antonio, TX

Pros

always informed, always looks for a way to keep and get good teachers rigorous and strong management...

Cons

Horrid maintenance manager at maintenance office...very rude and bad treatment of head custodians along with janitors from foremen....

Advice to Management

wish they would look into the unethical treatment and unrealistic expectations asked from maintenance crews....

Ifff

I worked at North East Independent School District full-time

Pros

some of the best teachers that I worked with. Teachers who love the kids, patient with them and go beyond the distance

Cons

Teachers are not given credit except the ones who's philosophy is in agreement with some of the admin

Advice to Management

A true leader, serves his people and not the opposite. Showing empathy and apologizing is admitting mistakes which shows your humanity. To the district leaders, you have no idea what is truly going on since you never show up, don't think there is a red flag when you have wonderful teachers leaving the school and retiring early. Last year alot left. Admin did not clean house and got rid of the worst teachers but got rid of the greatest teachers I have ever known. The reality is ED white is a school that NEISD wished they never had and the kids know that!

RSS Feed </> Embed