North Florida Regional Medical Center

Reset
2.8
Ward Boston III

1. Staff RN

Pros

Helpful, accommodating, respectful, gave me an opportunity after school.

Cons

Lower pay, in a small town, a lot of college students, patients are directed to shands.

2. Time may tell..

Pros

Free parking Variable shifts Innovative Location Stock plan 401k match

Cons

Micromanagement Lots of favoritism Lack of basic respect for others

Advice to Management

Just treat others the way you wish to be treated. Respect goes a long ways.

3. Pharmacy Techician

Pros

Learning skills are excellent

Cons

Not really no way to get ahead

5. My experience as an employee

I worked at North Florida Regional Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There was a lot of camaraderie between staff and departments worked well together. I enjoyed my co workers and we functioned well as a team.

Cons

Directors changed and the new director was difficult to please and disrespectful toward staff. This was brought to the attention of HR but the behavior was allowed to continue.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the employee engagement surveys and take action, not just creating action plans but actually listening to staff.

6. A very challenging, fast paced work environment. The staff were friendly.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Gainesville, FL

I worked at North Florida Regional Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced learn a lot, adequate training.

Cons

Could use more training at times it is too busy and difficult to get the help needed. Some of documentation required is redundant or can be confusing especially the way the medications are separated into what the patient took at home, in hospital and maybe another category of reconciled meds. This can be confusing for the patient and if they are discharged to a facility. the hospital really needs to look at their system for this, and fix it to keep it simple. As a nurse it made me nervous.

Advice to Management

Spend a little more time with floor staff to the get the real pulse of the team.

A chance to do personally rewarding work helping others.

Current Employee - Staff RN in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Gainesville, FL

Pros

Helping others is rewarding, co-workers are great, flexible scheduling, good benefits.

Cons

Recently, although the company is doing quite well (HCA made over a billion last year alone) annual raises have been poor. Compensation in general, due to the proximity of several local nursing programs and a steady supply of new nurses each year, is lower than state and national averages. No state income tax helps, but a higher rate of pay would be nice.

Advice to Management

Treat senior nurses (5+ years of service) with more respect, autonomy and opportunities for advancement. Make promotion decisions based on qualifications, not preference of administration.

8. Promises Promises

Current Employee - RN in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - RN in Gainesville, FL

Pros

I had been out of nursing several years. When I re-entered my field, N.FL was more than willing to hire me and to give any/all clinical review that I needed.

Cons

They made alot of promises. I was hired at a GN Rate, even though I had 15+ years of experience; I was told once I completed their orientation and showed 'what I could do" that I would have a review of salary, (I figured approx 6mos) I have received my 'yearly' review, along with everyone else. I did get a minimal increase, ($0.60/hr); I am making about the same amt of money as new grads that I have been training...I am quite upset about this and have began the process of looking for another position elsewhere. (which I am Not looking forward to doing, because I do like where I work!!!!)

Advice to Management

I would think that nurses hired would be paid based on years of experience.

9. fair, albeit, scathing review

Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Gainesville, FL

Pros

the hospital earnestly attempts to remain in the forefront of health care, but it seems it falls short due to a general lack of caring from staff. the staff does however exude more of a family atmosphere than i have seen at other places. the physicians have an excellent rapport with the staff and are very approachable

Cons

the sheer lack of career advancement opportunities render it somewhat of a poor place for fresh graduates to apply for work. however - management is always open to new ideas and change. in effect, you may help develop new policies and procedures, and be recognized for it - but that no means will be reflected in your annual.... which can be very disheartening at times.

Advice to Management

allow others to grow. support them. give them opportunities to improve and aide in change. this is NOT a serice industry. its health care. maybe others have an idea that can help patients. hear them out.

10. ok

Current Employee - Interventional Rad
    Current Employee - Interventional Rad

Pros

its a growing hospital and great people

Cons

doesn't pay well and cafeteria is small

Advice to Management

pay more

RSS Feed </> Embed