North Highland

North Highland Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

North Highland President and CEO Dan Reardon

Dan Reardon

Pros:
  • "Employee has career control to determine work life balance"
    in 38 reviews
  • "Employee Owned in the truest sense; collaborative culture; solid work-life balance"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work / life balance has become a myth"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Low base salary, complex bonus structure, mediocre benefits"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Company to Work for

Manager (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at North Highland full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThis is a great company with talented individuals, smart, and hard working. Would definitely recommend to other professionals looking for local consulting companies.

ConsNo major negative to talk about. They could do better with the bonuses especially sales and commission bonuses on projects sold. But all in all, a good company with good people.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no major advice for the company management at this point. They are responsive and do a great job of growing the company and maintaining the culture. They are also expanding internationally which creates more opportunities for the consultants.

Nice people but will never be in the same league as the big boys.

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at North Highland full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat people. Care for the clients. Treat you well.

ConsNo clue how to manage projects, always looking to sell vs. help clients solve problems, will promise the world when hiring and not deliver. That's why you're losing clients and have declining revenues.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to be something that you're not.

Great culture and place to work

Principal (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland full-time for less than a year

ProsSmall firm with big 3/4 experience
Employee owned
Flexible management

ConsCompensation very bonus driven
A mix of compensation plans

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement more standardization around compensation and positions
Consider base pay adjustments for national consultants as opposed to local market consultants

Cool culture, Old Values

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at North Highland

ProsThe size can work in your favor because there are lots of opportunities to raise your hand if you want to do work.

ConsA lot of outside of work networking take away from the ability to enjoy not traveling. Also the pay is not so great unless you come in at the right level.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure the compensation model to make it attractive to new comers.

great place to work, smart and dedicated people

Principal (Current Employee)

I have been working at North Highland full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFocus on clients, strong local leadership in most markets

ConsLocal Model challenges ability to bring industry/sme expertise to all projects

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that industries and local offices need to work together more

Sad shadow of what once was great.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at North Highland

ProsNH is filled with some of the nicest, hard working, and smart people that I've worked with.

ConsIn summary the company promoted a good number of small minded bureaucrats who have no idea how to run a company. This group managed to alienate many of NH's best employees. Now the company is desperately trying to figure out who they are and how to go to market - not a good place to be. The bread and butter for NH over the years has been high premium project management resources. As this space has been commoditized NH's market has eroded. Leadership was ill-equipped to adjust with the changing times.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo those who ruined NH, please stay where you are. Your work is done.

Great community...not so great pay

Manager (Current Employee)
Charlotte, NC

I have been working at North Highland full-time for more than 8 years

ProsAbility to stay local. Comraderie with other NH staff. Ability to give back to local community.

ConsLower than industry standard salary. Too many distractions away from the client.

I plan to be a lifer

Manager (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at North Highland full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat culture, great people, great clients

ConsAs of now, the NY office really focuses in two industries, but that will likely change as the office grows

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's unclear what expected salaries can be with promotions

Good option to get off the road and disappear into the furniture

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
Charlotte, NC

I worked at North Highland full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompany advocates work life balance
Local model so you work in town
Easy Work

ConsContinue to lose market share
Promotions largely predetermined based on tenure and relationships with senior leaders

Advice to Senior ManagementVice Presidents need to perform work... not just sit in the office all day

Best place I've worked at in my entire career!

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at North Highland full-time for more than a year

ProsEmployee-owned, Uniquely friendly culture, Refreshingly honest work/life balance, Quiet confidence among colleagues, Collaborative environment, Control over variable compensation "levers"

ConsLower base salary than other consulting firms, Less mature infrastructure and back office than larger consulting firms

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove timely company-wide communications so employee-owners are informed about internal changes prior to finding out via "North Highland" Google alerts or other external newsfeeds.

Worked for North Highland? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at North Highland reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for North Highland CEO Dan Reardon. All 130 reviews posted anonymously by North Highland employees.