North Highland

North Highland Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

North Highland President and CEO Dan Reardon

Dan Reardon

Pros:
  • "Employee has career control to determine work life balance"
    in 38 reviews
  • "Employee Owned in the truest sense; collaborative culture; solid work-life balance"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work / life balance has become a myth"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Low base salary, complex bonus structure, mediocre benefits"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent results-oriented consulting firm that seeks to take care of clients and employees alike

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at North Highland

ProsColleagues are highly professional, experienced, and team-oriented
Excellent work-life balance
Company growth is driven with an eye on doing the right things and maintaining the culture
Career growth path is flexible depending on individual employee needs

ConsBase salary compensation is average compared to similar industry/consulting positions
Variable compensation model is somewhat complex and can vary widely from quarter to quarter for various reasons, some of which are out of the employee's control
Local office model makes implementing some company-wide strategic initiative more challenging

Advice to Senior ManagementFeedback: Loved working at North Highland and the unique culture of the company - it is a key differentiator in the marketplace

Advice: Consider evaluating and adjusting base salary compensation levels to be more aligned with similar industry/consulting positions

If you're willing to sacrifice some pay for a better work/life balance, North Highland is for you

Charlotte, NC

I have been working at North Highland

ProsThe work/life balance at North Highland really can't be beat. In addition, the lower pay is supplemented nicely by the bonus structure in place.

ConsThe benefits are (health insurance, PTO) really not that great -- definitely no better than any other company out there. In addition, while the bonus structure is nice, it almost goes against the work/life balance that North Highland promotes. Finally, the review process, while improving, is still ambiguous and unclear. The company's philosophy of owning your career encourages people to seek out others, but this can be difficult if you are new to the company and not given any guidance at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe review and career coach model needs to be more structured. I understand that this is being worked on, but can still use improvement. In addition, some of the first year initiatives (such as the Senior Consultant Initiative) need to be more widely and clearly communicated throughout the company.

I've heard many Senior Consultants say they weren't aware of the Senior Consultant initiative until they were asked to complete a survey about how it helped them transition into the company. It's hard to complete a survey on the effectiveness of a program if that person wasn't aware they were part of the program!

Fantastic! I have never been happier in my job. The company values it's employees and being employee owned is great!

I have been working at North Highland

ProsBeing employee owned changes the attitude of the entire company. We do what is right for a customer rather than worrying about making an EPS forecast. It is refreshing and keeps everyone focused on the company.

ConsNH is growing at such a rapid pace it is hard to keep the infrastructure ahead of the curve. We solve a lot with manual work arounds and it can be a strain on the employees that support the consultants.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

North Highland is exactly the company described during the interview process.

Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at North Highland

ProsEmployee Owned in the truest sense; collaborative culture; solid work-life balance.

ConsNorth Highland is not as well known in the Northeast which can make it difficult to attract consultants in a down market.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the North Highland culture!

North Highland still carries an entrepreneurial spirit despite it's growing infrastructure.

Nashville, TN

I have been working at North Highland

ProsNorth Highland has an entrepreneurial spirit built into it's incentive programs. Overall, employees demonstrate humility in spite of their deep business expertise. Walks the talk when it comes to diversity and inclusion.

ConsNorth Highland has historically hired individuals with deep (15+ years) experience. As North Highland transitions to hiring less experienced individuals (5+ years) it will take some time to build the infrastructure and leadership skill sets to leverage the newer employees appropriately on project teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt some point North Highland will need to be more specific in their communication to employees about the salary bands amounts within the company. The current lack of specific communication on salary amounts creates unnecessary gossip about inequity of salary for individuals at the same levels.

North Highland has been great - it's all the things that are great about consulting minus the things that suck.

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at North Highland

ProsLocal model - I never have to travel. Experienced consultants ONLY. Everyone respects work/life balance. Great and open culture. Because it's small, there is high visibilty by upper management into my performance.

ConsThere's a big emphasis on business development. The best financial rewards are tied to driving sales, so if this isn't in your wheelhouse you'll need to think twice.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne of North Highland's more immediate challenges will be to maintain focus on its small, family-like culture while balancing the hyper-growth we are experiencing.

A great place to work

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at North Highland

Pros- They're serious about work/life balance.
- You really have the freedom to mold your own career path.
- ESOP.
- Incredibly friendly people.

Cons- Lower base pay than the "Big 4"

North Highland is a place where consultants serve their clients and the company serves its employee owners.

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at North Highland

Pros-The employee owned nature of the organization makes it unlike other consultant firms. North Highland values long term relationships with its clients, striving to create custom solutions for real world problems.
-The company cares about its consultant's professional development, education and progression. It is a company that takes a vested interest in continuing education and the success of its consultants.

Cons-Takes some time to develop your brand at the company in order to ensure full utilization on the type of project where you are most effective.

The last 18 months have been both challenging and rewarding, exactly what I was looking for when I joined North Highland

Manager (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at North Highland

ProsThe opportunity to collaborate with some of the brightest and professional consultants I have ever known in my career.

ConsThe biggest downside is not having the brand recoginition of some of the larger firms but we are making progress.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be willing to address base compensation incentives as the market improves

Love that I can focus on doing the what's right for clients

I have been working at North Highland

ProsThe culture is definitely about satisfying client needs first; a positive outcome of being private and employee owned. The growth over the last few years -- national and global expansion and new types of services -- has really provided new opportunities. Ability to drive my own career path.

ConsThe flip side of freedom to drive your own career path is that it takes active management; great for proactive people. Rapid growth means growing pains, seems like always a lot of internal change going on (not necessarily bad change, just a lot of change). It can take a few years to see the value of employee ownership kick in.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't rest on past success.

Worked for North Highland? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at North Highland reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for North Highland CEO Dan Reardon. All 130 reviews posted anonymously by North Highland employees.