North Highland

North Highland Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

North Highland President and CEO Dan Reardon

Dan Reardon

Pros
  • There isn't a better company out there with work/life balance (in 41 reviews)

• Employee Owned in the truest sense; collaborative culture; solid work-life balance (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Low base salary, complex bonus structure, mediocre benefits (in 15 reviews)

• The work/life balance has tilted into mass amounts of work for almost no gain (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Strong, Conservative Company Poised for Growth

ProsInnovative service offerings, strong culture

ConsVariable comp model is challenging for some but works for high performers very well

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to think strategically and look for more opportunities for growth and expansion

Not the firm that I joined

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat formula in defining the talent that we should attract. ESOP is great for those that has survived the Plan B hurdles. Training is not up to par.

ConsInfighting at the executive level, positioning to be the next CEO has created a cancerous culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress the issues between Mike and Dave and fix the compensation model.

Unsure of the future

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThere had been a fair amount of flexibility regarding travel and being able to work from home - looks like that is changing.

ConsNot sure what the current vision is, other than drive more revenue. Each year seems to be a new theme, but they aren't connected very well.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back the twice-a-year company meeting. share more of the financials from the large accounts like they used to do. Reexamine the compensation model - we were told a year ago that this was a priority. The messaging these days seems more muddled and top-down driven, versus promoting good ideas that emerge from the Local Offices.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good culture, challenging times

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSo... trying to be as fair as possible...
    - Wonderful corporate culture and people. People here are great , lots of fun loving colleagues and overall a very laid back atmosphere. Not much corporate BS, more like a start up.
    - As many others said here, work life balance is very much valued.
    - Compensation is good. A lot of complains around compensation, but come on people, a junior level consultant can still easily make 6 figures, need to put things in perspective... especially with the # of hrs worked, not all that bad...
    - Down to the earth leadership. This is consistent from office to office, never felt hesitate to reach out to leadership.
    - Not only brand name clients, but many clients were also great to work for.

Cons- Too much staff aug work, no consultants want to do staff aug work. If you get on one of those long term execution projects, it can feel like a dead end job...
    - The future is a bit unclear... still trying to figure out how to compete against larger firms
    - ESOP put too much attention on stock value (it only benefits those who's been here for a long time)
    - Lack of clear career path, and the review process could use some improvements
    - Lack of coordinated business development efforts, this could be a side effect of the local market model

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease show some true leadership. Make the hard decisions necessary. Stop selling this whole ESOP thing. Do the right thing for the firm, maybe ESOP need to drop before it can raise again.

Unsure of the future

ProsExceptional team members. Efforts are being made to improve help desk support, staffing and reporting. Going in the right direction with new Business Management Division.

ConsGreat people are leaving at a rapid pace. Not sure of the company focus. Have lost sight of what makes North Highland special, which is the people. Benefits have increased in cost and decreased in coverage. Salary does not keep up with rising cost of the benefits each year and increased cost of living. Consulting work is becoming Staff Aug work.

Advice to Senior ManagementTruly listen to the people around you and make them feel like they are able to discuss things openly without fear of job loss. Conduct true exit interviews with employees that are leaving, find out why and don't dismiss their reply as being angry or just one person's opinion.

Disappointing experience.

Principal (Current Employee)

ProsSome truly great team members.

ConsI will limit this to the five worst:
    A principal role is not a leadership role and the culture is a classic hierarchy pyramid scheme.
    Passive aggressive culture doesn't encourage truth telling.
    Leadership operates like helicopter parents: swooping in to control situations: disempowering employees at all levels. Few examples of effective leaders at senior levels.
    Too much staff aug and PMO; still learning how to consult.
    Horrible, sloppy and professionally embarrassing experiences with the creative team SparksGrove.

Advice to Senior ManagementI see no opportunity to achieve personal goals of good health and quality family relationships in such a demanding and often negative environment.
    Billable hours and sales goals for account managers=no life if you want you be successful at NH.
    Verbal Commitment to people does not match your actions.
    Culture changes in the past year are dramatically negative; nip this or you will go down.

RUN! A great company turned marginal at best

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThere are times when a role can be flexible but don't count on it. It is increasingly becoming a travel model and their inability to sell consulting consistently negatively impacts the employees that deliver the work. Often times, employees are expected to drive to the other side of the city with no incentives due to the firm's desperation for work.

ConsTalent has fled to join real consulting firms
    Pay is extremely non-competitive, even to other local models
    Constant transformation efforts indicating leadership lacks direction
    Overpromised in all aspects during interview prior to joining

Advice to Senior ManagementStep up and make the hard decisions. An overwhelming number of legacy employees in senior leadership roles are ineffective and don't have a clue about true leadership.

Disappointing overall experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMany of the people are fantastic, and the stated commitment to maintaining a great culture and upholding core values (i.e. being in it together, transparency, accountability) is inspiring.

ConsUnfortunately at this point in the company's evolution, maintaining a positive employee experience isn't taken seriously, and stated commitments to values don't translate to visible action anymore. Base salary very low, and while it used to be a no-travel firm, the no-travel policy has since quietly been retired. Many good people left over the last 2-3 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople join for the values and work/life balance - not the pay. Adherence to those values is NH's most critical competitive advantage. If you allow leadership squabbles / inconsistent behavior to continue unchecked, and if you continue to send out-of-touch communications to the entire organization, you're setting the company up for failure. The competition is blowing NH away in the race for clients and employees. Address reality, set clear direction, and hold leaders accountable. That's the only way to regain people's confidence.

Work, work, and work some more.

ProsGood, talented people to work with.

ConsNorth Highland has lost its way. Work life balance is only enjoyed by those at the VP level and above. Culture has vanished and we have become just another consulting firm. Seasoned members are leaving, too many local office leads cannot support the team when necessary because they just don't have the skills. That being said, truth is something no one seems to be interested in hearing anymore. Not sure how this happened as the rest of us have been busting our rumps to make the numbers we are mandated. I am 2/3 out the door and I am not alone.
    Compensation package just gets more complicated and overall pay is decreasing due to unreasonable goals. Not a good way to build dedicated, long term team members. PTO is good but if you take off, you pay for it. New talent has no depth, just really good resumes. Not the best way to meet client needs. At some point, somebody has to deliver.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat happened to our foundation? This company is far removed from the company I joined several years ago and not in a good way. Atlanta is not interested in views that don't align with theirs. They forgot what made us unique and successful.

A lot of leadership change. Future of company uncertain.

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat culture, employees who have experienced life in the Big 4 and came to NH for a breath of fresh air

Consthey say NH is a local model but it is not. They will expect you to travel and you are not provided with any kind of corporate card. Expense reimbursement is a mess. Base salaries are well below industry average. Employees don't get raises. Bonus/variable pay is a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress the constant turnover rather than keeping employees in the dark

Worked for North Highland? Contribute to the Community!