North Highland Reviews

Reset
3.1
North Highland President and CEO Dan Reardon
Dan Reardon

Pros
  • There isn't a better company out there with work/life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Great people with great skills striving to provide value to their clients (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work / life balance has become a myth (in 9 reviews)

• Not competive compensation / base salary (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

A great company that focuses on its clients and people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at North Highland full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

North Highland has always had a strong culture of caring for each other, its clients and the community. Others have caught on to this but it has always been at the core of the company. The changes the company is undergoing will provide real opportunities for all. The local model and work life balance are strong and respected.

Cons

The company is going through a needed transition. The overall direction is good but the implementation has been difficult. I think most of this is behind us.

Advice to Management

Continue to make the needed changes while holding on to the core elements that makes the company strong. Communicate in the short term while focusing on the long term.

Apr 17, 2015 – Global Services

We appreciate your sharing your thoughts about your time at North Highland, are very happy that you are happy, and thank you for your feedback! Best of luck in your next adventure and we hope to ... More

Two Wonderful Years Spent Here

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at North Highland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I spent two years at North Highland and just put in my two weeks notice simply because I had a long-term career desire to move to industry. Things I loved about North Highland: 1. The people. I had so many hands-on, amazing mentors throughout my time here that were willing to go out of their way to help me with my development, provide pointed, candid, and actionable feedback, and were just an overall pleasure to work with. I leave with not just former colleagues, but life-long friends. 2. The work. Some reviews on here are critical of North Highland for the type of work that was available. While there is no doubt some staff augmentation work, the great opportunities are here if you look for them. I had a lot of exciting projects in financial services and healthcare. I look back very fondly at some of the projects I was staffed on here. 3. Open door culture of ownership. This year, new career paths, expectations, and compensation plans were established. These kinds of decisions are usually designed by the C-Suite, but North Highland actually placed this responsibility for design on a group of employees. I found that this place was open to my ideas, even as a junior member of the company. My VPs, as well as the C-Suite were accessible and responsive from the top-down. On various occasions, I had ideas that I shared with C-suite executives in the company, even with the CEO. I can honestly say I got a response 100% of the time and usually within 48 hours. This place is open to your ideas, and genuinely so. 4. Work-Life balance isn't lip service, it's real here. This firm placed great emphasis on your life outside of work. I was able to pursue many of my interests, activities, and passions, often with the firm's support. It makes me happy to see many of our working mothers/fathers be able to leave at a reasonable hour and be able to spend time with family. I never felt particularly overwhelmed as I did coming from a big four firm. This is arguably the greatest benefit the firm offers. 5. This is a place that is truly client-oriented. Some consulting firms are all about sales, sales, sales, and milking a client of every dollar they can. That is not how things operated here. Without fail, in account planning meetings, my various VPs I worked with would say "what does this do for the client and how is this going to benefit them (or not)?" There were plenty of times where a client would ask us to perform work, and despite being a lucrative opportunity, our VPs/AEs would steer the client in the right direction and explain the value that would be best provided. It made me very happy to know I was working for a place that operated morally, and always in the best interest of the client.

Cons

1. Growing pains and turnover. Our firm recently deployed a new career paths and expectations model. While beneficial for the long-term growth of the firm, we have had an undeniably large amount of people who have left because of them. The dust has settled (I think), but it's been sad to see so many of my colleagues go. 2. Diversity & Inclusion is way behind here. We have very limited numbers of women in leadership here, very little diversity among our staff, and almost zero minority leadership within the firm. When this is brought up as criticism to leadership, the response has been somewhat tone deaf. I think this is an issue that North Highland should urgently address, and the firm must consider bringing in outside consultants to assess the situation and provide actionable recommendations. We're way behind. A good start might be to actually add Martin Luther King Jr. Day as a recognized firm legal holiday.... 3. Would like to see more organic promotions. When I looked at a lot of our VP/C-Suite levels, I didn't see a lot of internal success stories. What I mean by that is, a lot of the local VP's seemed to come from outside of the firm, and very few were promoted from within. I think it tells a great story when you can look at someone who started from the bottom and worked their way to the highest echelons of the company. While those have happened, they seem to be more of the exception, less so the rule. For the more junior staff, such promotions would send the message that this is truly a place where one can grow their career from start to finish. I worked with TONS of people who were great leaders here, and I wish we'd see more of them with a clear path to the top. 4. Benefits could use some improvement. Our 401(k) plan isn't great, and should include target funds. The growth rates are low, the fees are high, and I think the firm ought to consider moving to Vanguard instead of Merrill.

Advice to Management

I had a great two years here and leave with a smile on my face after my experiences here. This is a place I recommend to prospective employees, and even with my criticisms listed above, the pros have DRASTICALLY outweighed the cons. We've got to get with the times with D&I, which is the only thing I listed above that was a glaring con, but at the end of the day, I am grateful and proud to have been an employee of this firm.

Aug 26, 2015 – Global Services

We appreciate you sharing your experience with North Highland on Glassdoor. We understand that growth and change can be a challenge for everyone, but our focus is to operate in the best interest of ... More

3. Great Culture

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee ownership makes this a very different firm, in a very good way.

Cons

Relatively small in the consultant community.

It is time to wake up...

Current Employee - Principal in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Principal in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I still really enjoy most people in the firm. The company tries to be transparent and share future strategic plans. They are trying to make things better (compensation, career paths, etc.) it just might be a little too late.

Cons

The culture and environment is just not the same. I undestand that companies need to grow and change will happen, but NH has lost what used to be so special about it. The firm used to actually care about it's people and would do the right thing. Now it is about the dollar. The leadership in this firm is concerning. The CPO, Cindy Davis, has no people or communication skills. There is a running joke about her lack of organization. It is amazing to me the tone she took during our roundtable discussions. She called in to make her "speech" and then dropped. Not very inspiring to say the least. It is as though she is trying to run people off and destroy morale. How can we be making all of these organizatioal changes with a CPO that nobody respects? Be sure to come in with a decent salary because once you are hired in it is impossible to get a salary increase. You can go years without an increase since we don't do cost of living increases People used to stay around for a low salary because of the people and it was such a nice place to work. Since that is disappearing more and more every day, it is not worth the sacrifice. You can see that in our turnover. People are leaving and if they haven't left, they are looking. It is sad because this used to be such a nice place to work.

Advice to Management

Read the exit interviews. Listen to what people are saying. It seems to be that there are excuses and reasoning going on as to why our best people are leaving. There is too much turnover for management to put their heads in the sand and ignore the fact that our best talent is leaving. Re-evaluate who you have in a position to lead the change. If they don't "walk the walk", nobody will follow them.

Aug 21, 2015 – Global Services

Thank you for sharing your opinion. It is a priority for North Highland to maintain our values and culture of care, even as other aspects of our firm evolve. We remain transparent and open with our ... More

Staffing mindset

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at North Highland full-time

Pros

Their Sparks Grove unit is very impressive. It's an offering most consulting firms don't have. Their True Bridge unit is their staffing group. They are pretty solid and have a good process in place. They are an employee-owned company. They do have a different culture compared to the Big4 firms. That's a good thing.

Cons

North Highland really wants to be like Accenture and other large firms. But staffing is where they came from and that mindset is still very much in their DNA. Their marketing is focused on Solution consulting...but they manage the business through a staffing lense. It's difficult for NH to keep experienced consultants who are asked to grow a practice. While they verbally encourage selling and making inroads with new clients, NH will expect everyone to be billable. 80% of the time. Even if it's outside of the industry you're asked to grow. Some offices don't have much of a team environment. The billing consultants are focused completely on their clients... which is a good thing. But, most of those folks will completely disengage from any NH communication or team events/meetings. So if you're looking for a place where you can learn from teammates, this isn't going to happen here.

Advice to Management

Be honest with yourself. Continue with your staffing. It's what you're good at. You're wasting a lot of time, money, and people's careers by trying to convince yourselves that North Highland is a big solution firm. Slalom opened a MN office around the same time North Highland did. They are growing so much faster than the NH MN office. I believe one the big reasons for this is because they aren't kidding themselves on who they are.

Senior Manager

Former Employee - Senior Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Manager

Pros

You will meet and work with a lot of great people. The company advertises work balance. ESOP Company

Cons

Emphasis on all consultants, including project delivery professionals, to sell sell sell and this pressure is so ingrained in the culture, that successful delivery becomes a poor stepchild. Day to day life in the company does not show the company really cares about it's people.

Advice to Management

The importance of delivery excellence must be as important as consulting sales.

Going downhill

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

London office: - Flexible working - Adult environment - Great offices and location - Great clients - Put on a good social event

Cons

- Lack of real leadership - Lost the strong values that were in place up until a few years ago - Heavy US presence means UK leadership team are restricted in what they can/can't do - Poor management of promotions - Low salaries - Low bonuses - Low staff morale across the whole business

Getting there

Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland full-time

Pros

Moving through the transformation --sometimes clumsy, but business leaders are working to progress in spite of missing/undefined information.

Cons

Too much focus on numbers which results in consultants making judgments on numbers vs. the right things to do for the client and our business.

Advice to Management

At this time we need a clear forward-looking and inspirational vision for North Highland.

Aug 21, 2015 – Global Services

Thank you for sharing your opinion. We agree that there have been some challenges along the way and are working to address the feedback we’ve received. With growth comes challenges, but we always put ... More

10. Great company, modernizing itself and feeling the pain

I worked at North Highland full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employee owned, and acts like it. Cares for clients and employees - and actions show it.

Cons

Going through difficult transformation...but has the courage to modernize itself. Strategy is on target, perhaps implementation is suffering a bit.

Advice to Management

Perhaps 'dabble' less. Too much change in direction. Too many things going on concurrently.

Aug 17, 2015 – Global Services

Thank you for the feedback. Change can certainly be challenging and lessons are going to be learned, but we always position ourselves in a way that will be most beneficial to our employee owners ... More

11. Exciting future!

I have been working at North Highland full-time

Pros

running at change - this firm is not comfortable being complacent. actively evaluates the needs and direction of the consulting market and makes necessary changes. has a high bar in terms of expectations - strong commitment to acting like an owner.

Cons

change is hard - make sure that you have rigorous change management applied internally

Advice to Management

keep pushing - don't ever get complacent

Aug 17, 2015 – Global Services

Thank you for providing your feedback. Change can be difficult for everyone, but allowing our employee owners the ability to have an entrepreneurial mentality promotes confidence to exceed ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed