North Highland

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014

North Highland President and CEO Dan Reardon
Dan Reardon

Pros
  • Work life balance is really good and no pressure to work long hours if not needed (in 42 reviews)

• Great people with great skills striving to provide value to their clients (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance has tilted into mass amounts of work for almost no gain (in 9 reviews)

• Low base salary, complex bonus structure, mediocre benefits (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Good work environment

Former Employee - Management Level in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Management Level in Houston, TX

I worked at North Highland full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people
    Great atmosphere
    Good work-life balance
    Good company values

Cons

Primarily focused on Change Management and Project Management.
    Lots of staff augmentation work.

Need to invest in people to expand your horizons because other consulting firms will pass you by with other offerings that they can provide.

Great people from great backgrounds - A REAL HIGH INTEGRITY place

I have been working at North Highland full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Challenging work, great clients, great co-owners, 100% of employees are owners. This is a place that I would recommend to any top notch consultant. Not a good place if you are comfortable being mediocre...you won't last here.

Cons

Salaries have been low, but that is being corrected in late 2014.

Keep an eye on career development tailored for the best.

Old fashioned charm

Former Employee - Independent Management Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Independent Management Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at North Highland full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are top notch!

Cons

They have many managers stuck in the mindset of old consulting. They need to quicken their pace to change to match their top competitors.

Keep pushing the changes, including turning over those that aren't keeping pace with today!

Mafia Management

Former Employee - Principal in Atlanta, NY
    Former Employee - Principal in Atlanta, NY

I worked at North Highland full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good welcome and orientation ; nice colleagues ; projects are good and for the most part interesting ; once on a project, you might stay there for a year

Cons

Top Management is a closed circle with pseudo participation and false initiative encouragements ; in fact, obedience is more important than entrepreneurship ; be more direct and honest in internal communications

Be honest with yourself and your subordinates ; too coy and too much "let's agree to say this" instead of just putting the cards on the table ; as with many companies who have had modest success, the hierarchy is established and it is very hard to get into the inner circle ; local office model does not work in large cities

A positive, thoughtful culture with good people who care!

I worked at North Highland full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked in many office environments where the ethical and moral boundries were tested and it is really great to have worked with a firm full of people who want to do the right thing for the firm, the people and their clients. North Highland is trying to make changes to improve the firm overall so the employees can continue to provide a solid career path for each person.

Cons

It will take some and a few cycles before North Highland achieves its goals. Patience is key as I believe they will get there.

Look deeper into why the changes are necessary to begin with. The market is much different than it was in 2001 and 2008-2010... Look at the potential market drivers that contributed to the success of the firm and what internal changes can combat the changes in the market today, 2014.

Changes are working

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can move up at your own pace. No time in grade like the big 4. I worked hard and got promoted fast. Make more than I would if I stayed at Big 4. Other are working less hours and are happy doing it but do not move up as fast.

Cons

Lots of folks left this year that should have been asked to go before now. The "nice" culture sometimes leads to people staying longer than they should.

Stay the course. The changes you are making are clearly working. Don't read the posts here from those that we're let go. They are not our future.

Wonderful

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at North Highland as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Interns are offered benefits. Great work atmosphere. Real-world experience. Constant work to be done, no twiddling your thumbs here!

Cons

Internship was too short and no permanent position offered.

None

Working through some growing pains

I have been working at North Highland full-time (more than an year)

Pros

North Highland is a people company and relationships matter here. Most people have a positive outlook and want to deliver great work for their clients. You have a say in where you want to go and what you want to accomplish during your time at North Highland. The company is almost done working through some major changes that should help make the goals clearer for the employees and ease/simplify some of the pain points that we've been experiencing. I believe our CEO is trying to do the right thing, even if he doesn't always achieve his goals. I would rather have someone keep pushing to improve and not get everything right than afraid to fail and staying put.

Cons

Leadership as a whole was getting a little too comfortable staying where they were and doing the same thing for many years without improving. It's like going up on a downward escalator - if you don't keep moving forward and adapting, you're falling behind. The recent turnover may unfortunately have lost some good people along the way, but overall help change the environment from stagnant to dynamic.

Repeating a lot of what has already been said: stick to just a select few ideas to move forward, not 30. Also, not everyone will be pleased with the changes - that's ok. Not changing means that we're don't care to improve, and frankly, we can do without those people anyways.

Experiencing Growing Pains, but Moving in the Right Direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Culture - people here genuinely like and enjoy each other
    - Employee-ownership model
    - Reputation in the market

Cons

- There is some uncertainty felt around the firm as to some organizational changes being discussed
    - Bonus structure is complicated (but this is something that is apparently being worked out)

Spend more time communicating priorities and timelines with each office

If I could turn back time ...

I have been working at North Highland full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The culture was great and still has the potential to be great
    The leaders mean well
    Great colleagues
    Pipeline looks good in some locations

Cons

Travel is becoming norm, after years of professing a non-travel approach to consulting
    Comp is mediocre. If travel becomes norm, what's the point of accepting below market total comp?
    Old boys' network prevails in some offices, despite surface efforts to attract and retain women and new blood
    Leadership is insulated in Atlanta and out of touch with what matters to field

Get back in touch with your roots. If "owners" wanted to work for a "Big 4" consulting firm, they would have joined one.
    Ask yourself why some of the most loyal, long tenured resources are leaving. Respect the exit interviews, even if you don't like the responses.