North Highland

North Highland Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

North Highland President and CEO Dan Reardon

Dan Reardon

Pros:
  • "Employee has career control to determine work life balance"
    in 38 reviews
  • "Employee Owned in the truest sense; collaborative culture; solid work-life balance"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work / life balance has become a myth"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Low base salary, complex bonus structure, mediocre benefits"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Enjoyed my time at North Highland

I worked at North Highland full-time for more than 8 years

ProsESOP potential, numerous worldwide offices, career options

ConsCommunication, transparency, consultants don't value their operations people as much as they should

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk with your employees....pick their brains....they know what they are doing and have great ideas on how to improve processes within operations.

Great people; consulting done right

I worked at North Highland as a contractor

ProsNice, super smart, well-rounded people
Employee-owned mentality and structure
NO TRAVEL!!!
Senior level consultants who've been around the block a few times

ConsLower pay (no "travel premium") compared to other top consulting firms
Lack of well-rounded support to ensure Affiliates can bring their best work to clients

Advice to Senior ManagementRevisit how thoroughly you support Affiliates - give them access to tools, "how things work around here" guidelines, etc. - perhaps a simple online training module that can bring new Affiliates up to speed? Lines were blurred on client site and can lead to miscommunication amongst team members around roles/responsibility boundaries.

'Twas A Great Company

I worked at North Highland full-time

ProsConsistently honorable and wise leadership of the founding fathers attracted the best and most outstanding professionals and for twenty years the company was overwhelmingly successful. The company grew and flourished to a large degree because management and employees were mutually focused on a common primary goal: building a great company with great people and values.

ConsTo promote rapid global expansion, however, new leadership has been changing the primary goal of the organization from building a great company to building a large company. Implementing this fundamental change has represented a monumental speed bump in the career paths of many employees, and turmoil over this core value change is at the heart of the high current turnover rate. Only time will tell if the company can weather this storm and continue its previous growth and success.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget the core values that made the company great. The company cannot grow to be large if it does not continue to be great.

Good doers needed, thinkers need not apply...newcomers will need 25 years at firm for ESOP to matter

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at North Highland full-time

ProsAnnual company event is nice - not many firms still do such a thing. I'm guessing it will be cut at some point though as Reardon won't be able to explain the cost/benefit analysis to the board as growth remains nonexistent.

ConsIf you weren't with North Highland 10-15 years ago, you missed out. Internal stock price shot up back then but has since been stagnant for years as leadership doesn't know how to organically grow the firm anymore. Founded in southern metro areas, they've learned that expanding into mature, northern cities like Chicago, New York, Boston, and Minneapolis are difficult and breaking into "key" accounts requires more than a knock on the door since most firms now use a procurement office to handle "dime a dozen" contract consultants like North Highland. They lost money in China trying to open an office; they're on phase two of that disaster now. With the exception of a few projects on a few accounts in the original cities of Atlanta and Charlotte, the work is staff aug PM and BA roles.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey don't listen to it anyway.

Believe half of what you hear

SCCM Engineer (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at North Highland full-time for less than a year

ProsSmall IT department with room to grow various skills if you're determined to do so.

ConsI was let go because of an erroneous item on background check. Was told by VP he'd reinstate me once cleared. Once the item was cleared and request to expunge submitted, they stopped responding to me.
I don't mind moving on to better things but to intentionally put me on hold with thoughts of returning shows that they lack a little integrity at a high levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementAnything other than the truth is still a lie. Let that flow from the top down.

Once a Great Company.....Now Caught Up in Chasing Sales Revenue

Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at North Highland full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- The people that are hired are screened for ability and fit (able to get along with others). The actual consultants have a wealth of knowledge and are good at what they do. You can learn a lot from them and have fun doing it.
- Mostly local work, although increasingly there is pressure to travel.

Cons- Leadership has gone from building a great company to chasing revenue targets and expecting everybody including delivery (non-sales) people to do the same.
- A huge selling point they promote is stock ownership. Unless you got in 10+ years ago and were the benefit of huge increases in value, your 5k a year they contribute is going to only grow to maybe 100k in 10 years.
- Another huge selling point to work there has been they take care of their people and don't go through mass layoffs due to shifting revenue cycles. This is all out the window now.....just ask the 50+ people (in a small firm) that have been let go recently. Additionally, 90% of those let go have been with the firm a long time and built it to where it is (probably because leadership is shifting the business model and doesn't want any resistance).
- Salary plus a mythical super bonus structure is way below industry standards for pay. On top of that the company never bumps pay to match higher costs of living and then squeezes the employee further by reducing benefits incrementally every year.
- Work has been shifting for years from cool and challenging projects to mostly staff aug roles at the biggest corporations, where trying to implement any kind of change is most times insurmountable.
- The various consulting magazine surveys showing North Highland as a great place to work based on candid employee surveys is not all accurate. The company hangs its hat on these surveys and instructs people to say the right things so they can hire the best people and continue to grow the company (thereby increasing everyone's stock value).
- Promotion criteria is very loosely defined and depends mostly on garnering favor from key decision makers. If you're OK with a lot of self-promotion, then you can gain favor with them.
- Leadership is becoming more detached from the actual consultants and act more like cheerleaders to build revenue, rather than understanding/tackling the real serious problems that exist.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop chasing the short-term dollar and do what's right, both ethically and for the greater good of the company and its employees. This is what made North Highland once one of the most favorable places to work.
Stop incessantly promoting to employees they are "owners". Technically you may be right each of them owns .000002% of the company, but a true owner would have some say in decisions that are made. The ESOP is a monetary benefit like a 4101k, not a true ownership plan. You're dealing with smart people that can see past this rhetoric.

First-rate.

Manager (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at North Highland full-time

ProsEmily, VP goes above and beyond for her NH team. NH is lucky to have her as a leader.

ConsAccount managers need to check-in with staff more, in order to mitigate possible future challenges.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for being so accessible and transparent.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Manager, 3 year tenure

I have been working at North Highland full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Local. Even though I've had to travel here for a year here, the local model is nice
- My peers are nice people

Cons- NO ANNUAL RAISES. Its important to note this, as its not clearly described during recruiting.
- Dead-end job. In coupled with no raises, firm does not give regular promotions and is not clear on promo criteria, career path, etc.
- STAFF AUG ROLES ONLY
- Sad that there is potential, but leadership has evolved company for their benefit. "Employee owned" really only impacts VPs. For those below principal, very little to no benefit in "shares" (e.g. 2k vs 6 digits)

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly don't know how attrition isn't higher than it is.

Some regrets

Principal (Current Employee)

I have been working at North Highland full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWhen I joined years ago, travel was not mandatory. I have had the opportunity to work with some talented people and partners worldwide.

ConsThe last couple of years there has been a lack of cohesive leadership.
Bringing back travel requirements
Work / life balance has become a myth
Salary increases are few and far between
Honesty is not appreciated - in fact has become a liability.
Some VP's are overpaid sales people, lacking actual consulting skills.Local office lead model has been scrapped and is a direct reflection of the dysfunction and lack of trust.
I am looking to move on as I cannot give 100% allegiance at his point. Sad but realistic.

Advice to Senior ManagementCulture has changed from the top and local leadership - or lack of - will become costly in the future. Bring back former leadership or at least re-read the history and why North Highland came to be. Otherwise go ahead and sell.

Ownership

Global Services (Current Employee)

I have been working at North Highland full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat co-workers with a good ownership structure. There is always opportunity to grow through experience. With a little push, employee development is available.

ConsThe career path is not a defined as it would be at a large company. This is more representative of the size of the company and not the company itself.

Worked for North Highland? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at North Highland reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for North Highland CEO Dan Reardon. All 130 reviews posted anonymously by North Highland employees.