North Highland

Updated January 22, 2015
Updated January 22, 2015

North Highland President and CEO Dan Reardon
Dan Reardon

Pros
  • Work life balance is really good and no pressure to work long hours if not needed (in 43 reviews)

• Great people with great skills striving to provide value to their clients (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance has tilted into mass amounts of work for almost no gain (in 9 reviews)

• Low base salary, complex bonus structure, mediocre benefits (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to secure work-life balance and enjoy the benefits of being a part of the community

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at North Highland

Pros

People, Culture, Work life balance, local model

Cons

Lower Compensation as compared to other competitors

Don't compare North Highland to the larger firms because it is in a class all its own

Senior Business Consultant

I have been working at North Highland as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Creative and collaborative working relationship with colleagues

Cons

Full time salary is much lower than competitors

Contractor

I have been working at North Highland as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Super friendly office, curteous, professional. Terrific work/home balance. No 12 hour days at the office.

Cons

Terrible pay scale. Extremely limited administrative help.

Great company

I worked at North Highland

Pros

I loved working at North Highland. I felt supported in my work, able to take risks without fear of retribution if I failed, and was involved with interesting and appropriately challenging work. I also worked for one of the best leaders ever - Jill Jacques. I left North Highland because I was offered a once in a lifetime career opportunity. Leaving North Highland was one of the most difficult professional decisions I ever made.

Cons

North Highland's compensation model is a bit lower than other firms and I know they are working to solve that issue. The flip side is that they honor work/life balance and demonstrate a care and interest in their employees' families. My family experienced an unexpected medical emergence during my time at North Highland and I was amazed at the understanding, compassion, and support they gave so willingly.

Continue to be true to the vision of North Highland. Be the consulting firm you, the consultant, would want to work for and would be proud to own. Listen. Ask questions. Then, lead and continue building the company of your dreams.

Going through a major transition.

I have been working at North Highland

Pros

Good work/life balance. Good local office leadership. Have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects. Talented staff with a focus on quality delivery.

Cons

Current transition has everything "in flux". Staff is unsure about the direction the company is taking. The new direction the company is going has been presented in a very disjointed manner. Attrition rate will most likely increase because of the uncertainty.

Dragging out the "new direction" is making staff members uncomfortable and unsure about what is going to happen. Although the new compensation is supposed to be easier to understand it is still very confusing and appears to be somewhat subjective.

North Highland Response

Dec 10, 2014Manager

Thank you for your feedback, and we welcome your ideas. As an employee-owned firm, North Highland is undertaking a series of improvement initiatives, designed by our consultants for our consultants ... More

Principal Consultant

Former Employee - Ex-Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Ex-Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at North Highland

Pros

Nice People, Well Known in Atlanta and Charlotte

Cons

Lots of internal non-billable requirements ,continually escalating sales targets for consultants

A lot of growing pains

I worked at North Highland full-time

Pros

Very open about staffing and how things work around the company. Friendly culture. Good benefits such as training, food in the break rooms, offsite events. People are overall very willing to help.

Cons

Very tight knit community culturally. Often try too hard to be "best friends" with the client and are more concerned with making clients happy even if it's not always the most business sound decision. They are currently going through a lot of growing pains which is frustrating in terms of employee performance reviews, salaries, etc.

Great Company, Good leadership

I worked at North Highland as a contractor

Pros

Great People, good career opportunities. Talented and smart individuals that work hard, yet still leave time for their personal life.

Cons

No negatives at this time.

Middle of the road company

Former Employee - Principal Consultant

I worked at North Highland full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Maybe good for junior to mid-career consultants that couldn't cut it at bigger firm and will buy into promises; not the place for experienced professionals expecting to be empowered to deliver results.

Cons

Company is extremely political; you must go along to get along. Senior management only wants to hear what they want to hear. As well, they will sell projects they don't know how to do, or what it will take to deliver, and then leave the team on the ground holding the bag. Quality delivery of insightful and expert consulting takes back seat to client schmoozing.

Focus on delivering value to clients rather than worldwide expansion. Stated value of client service above all else was the founding vision, but needs to be reclaimed. Account executives are more focused on their personal numbers than client service or employees.

Old fashioned charm

Former Employee - Independent Management Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Independent Management Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at North Highland full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people are top notch!

Cons

They have many managers stuck in the mindset of old consulting. They need to quicken their pace to change to match their top competitors.

Keep pushing the changes, including turning over those that aren't keeping pace with today!