North Highland Reviews

221 reviews filtered by
3.1
North Highland President and CEO Dan Reardon
Dan Reardon

Pros
  • Work life balance is really good and no pressure to work long hours if not needed (in 43 reviews)

• Great people with great skills striving to provide value to their clients (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance has tilted into mass amounts of work for almost no gain (in 9 reviews)

• Low base salary, complex bonus structure, mediocre benefits (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

A great company that focuses on its clients and people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at North Highland full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

North Highland has always had a strong culture of caring for each other, its clients and the community. Others have caught on to this but it has always been at the core of the company. The changes the company is undergoing will provide real opportunities for all. The local model and work life balance are strong and respected.

Cons

The company is going through a needed transition. The overall direction is good but the implementation has been difficult. I think most of this is behind us.

Advice to Management

Continue to make the needed changes while holding on to the core elements that makes the company strong. Communicate in the short term while focusing on the long term.

Apr 17, 2015Global Services

We appreciate your sharing your thoughts about your time at North Highland, are very happy that you are happy, and thank you for your feedback! Best of luck in your next adventure and we hope to ... More

Marketing Manager

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland

Pros

The people who work at North Highland truly treat one another with the utmost respect - whether it's understanding of work/life balance to genuinely supporting one another on team projects. I've worked at Big Fours and in industry, and this has been by far the most authentic and caring culture. Not to mention, the compensation and ESOP benefits have been very impressive.

Cons

There are few drawbacks at this organization that are not inherent to all companies of this size.

Advice to Management

None other than I have been impressed with how visible they are to the full organization on a regular basis, so to keep that it up. We notice and appreciate it!

Apr 17, 2015Global Services

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on North Highland. Our people are and will always be our most important asset and we are happy to know you are enjoying working at North Highland. We appreciate ... More

Director

I have been working at North Highland

Pros

Entrepreneurial; Great people; Grounded in values; Ego-free; Flexible; Smart people getting things done without the hurdle of bureaucracy!

Cons

Resources are limited compared to larger consulting firms; Time of growth equals a lot of change, which truly is not a 'con'.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on why North Highland was founded and the people!

Apr 17, 2015Global Services

We appreciate you sharing your thoughts about your experience at North Highland. Thanks for the great feedback!

Vision for the future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There has been a lot of great work done to position North Highland for even more growth into the future. I am particularly excited by the Vision - Unleashing Potential Together - and what this means for our client, our fellow co-owners, and how we can make an impact in our local community.
    We have very clear direction on the path ahead, where we are going, and how we will get there
    As a relative new North Highlander, I have been impressed by the fact that status quo is not good enough - our folks are driven for more and aren't afraid to tackle hard issues to do what is right for us as owners
    There are no sacred cows
    Strong leadership
    Ability to move more quickly than large consulting firms
    Great talent here

Cons

As with any change, there seemed to be a small number of folks holding to the past and concerned about their role in the future - some of that resulting in some noise from a vocal minority at times

Advice to Management

Stay the course and keep making choices that push us forward.
    Maintain the bias toward speed and agility

Apr 17, 2015Global Services

Thank you for telling us about your experiences at North Highland! As we continue to grow and evolve as a firm, we value feedback from our employees on what’s working and what we can do better.

Excellent culture with great growth potential while still maintaining the "small company" feel

Current Employee - Vice President in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland full-time (less than a year)

Pros

As a relatively new joiner, I have been thoroughly impressed by how North Highland is operated and the people that make up my work family. The team is made up of leaders from respected companies throughout all industries and help bring new ways of solving old problems. North Highland offers competitive salaries and the employee ownership model drives positive behavior. I am still excited when I hear someone propose a cheaper alternative to something knowing that money saved is truly money is our pockets.

Cons

Commoditization of many consulting services continues to add pressure (although this really impacts the industry as a whole and not just NH)

Advice to Management

Maintain the transparency and continue investing in our people; our culture differentiates us in the market and is positively reflected in our work!

Apr 17, 2015Global Services

We appreciate you sharing your feedback and are glad to hear you've had a great start to your career at North Highland!

Expert Practitioner

Current Employee - Expert Practitioner in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Expert Practitioner in Dallas, TX

I have been working at North Highland full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Consistntly committed to doing the right thing by our clients and our people. I love how this firm is willing to look inward at what is working and what isn't - and bold enough to make the necessary changes. Great at empowering individuals to define their career and at providing stretch opportunities

Cons

Going through some growing pains as we are implementing some significant changes. While the change isn't easy, I've seen our leadership remain committed to the bigger picture. would love to see these changes implemented more quickly, however.

Advice to Management

stay focused on the long term and the entreprenurial spirit that got us here. be more aggessive with changes and their rollout

A Unique Firm in the Mgt Consulting Space

I have been working at North Highland full-time (more than a year)

Pros

North Highland makes deliberate investments in both functional and industry expertise. These resources are readily accessible by our client-facing consultants, so that our clients are well-supported all the time. We bring experts to the table easily...no silos here...because we all own the firm together.

I also appreciate the financial strength of North Highland. Since we're all owners, firm leadership shares our results and also the amount of our cash and investments with us routinely. This open book management style is unique in management consulting to my knowledge, and is part of the ownership culture which makes our firm a great place to be.

Cons

North Highland has chosen not to have an offshore operation, so isn't able to bring a super-low blended rate to buyers who are seeking super-low price points.

Advice to Management

The new career pathing model is clear and provides a great future to everyone....no "Up or Out" model here...that's something to be proud of and to advertise loudly.

Pursuing Passion

Current Employee - Principal in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Principal in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at North Highland full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Owners are given the leash to pursue their passion with the support of leadership and national capabilities.

Authenticity and other core values are consistently demonstrated.

Company is investing in "grey space" capabilities that larger firms are not flexible enough to support creating opportunities for consultants to do truly innovative work.

People care about each other at all levels of the firm.

Cons

Path to growth and market leadership / culture varies considerably market to market.

Advice to Management

Double-count division and capability credit to maximize collaboration to continue to bring all the firms capabilities to bear as we continue to press into the grey space.

10. Executive

Current Employee - Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland (more than 10 years)

Pros

We are still the same firm we have always been. Our culture of care for our clients, employees, and community are as strong as ever. Our new Operations Strategy group is driving big changes at our clients leading to solid execution work.

Cons

Change is hard even for consultants. Maybe especially for consultants. They market changed and we had to respond in order to maintain our growth and effectiveness with our clients. We now offer a wider range of services and our folks needed to align with those. Sadly, not everyone did. The silver lining for those who were with us a long time is the Employee Ownership. Many received 6 or 7 figure equity payouts.

Advice to Management

Stay the course.

Changing...not necessarily for the better

I have been working at North Highland

Pros

Many great consultants . Clients respect the NH name. Local office leadership quality is mostly excellent

Cons

Recent changes to comp and releveling of existing staff have been poorly handled. Good staff are leaving due to feeling de -valued.

New people are hired with less experience than existing staff, yet getting higher pay than those who have been loyal good performers for years.

Having trouble delivering real solutions because of shrinking number of project execution staff, and too many new Vice Presidents being hired.

Industry and strategy direction is poorly delivered to local teams.

Advice to Management

Take care of the good experienced people as you add new folks, and realize you don't have to look outside to bring in management talent.

Apr 17, 2015Global Services

Thank you for your honest feedback. We appreciate the open dialogue that Glassdoor provides and recognize that as North Highland continues to grow, there will be challenges that need to be addressed ... More