North Highland Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
North Highland President and CEO Dan Reardon
Dan Reardon

Pros
  • There isn't a better company out there with work/life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Great people with great skills striving to provide value to their clients (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work / life balance has become a myth (in 9 reviews)

• Not competive compensation / base salary (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

A great company that focuses on its clients and people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at North Highland full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

North Highland has always had a strong culture of caring for each other, its clients and the community. Others have caught on to this but it has always been at the core of the company. The changes the company is undergoing will provide real opportunities for all. The local model and work life balance are strong and respected.

Cons

The company is going through a needed transition. The overall direction is good but the implementation has been difficult. I think most of this is behind us.

Advice to Management

Continue to make the needed changes while holding on to the core elements that makes the company strong. Communicate in the short term while focusing on the long term.

North Highland Response

Apr 17, 2015 – Global Services

We appreciate your sharing your thoughts about your time at North Highland, are very happy that you are happy, and thank you for your feedback! Best of luck in your next adventure and we hope to ... More

the last consulting job you'll ever have

Current Employee - Principal in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Principal in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland

Pros

North Highland supports an extremely good work / life balance, offers a generous compensation / ownership plan, provides autonomy of career path, and has a great reputation with clients. The company is comprised of smart, capable, value-oriented consultants who have a great deal of prior experience in big 4 - big 5 consultancies and believe that there is a better way to deliver for clients than those firms can provide.

Cons

North Highland is not not for niche players - rather , it favors generalists and renaissance men. Everyone sells - everyone delivers - and to an extent, everyone performs operations.

Advice to Management

I'd advise more explicit involvement and input from employees in group settings. The company is rife with strategists and detailed information about decision-making builds confidence for that type of audience. I believe that input is being sought much more than is immediately apparent.

Changing the way people think about consulting.

I have been working at North Highland

Pros

Offers "Big 4/5 Consulting" opportunities without the required travel. Focus on work life balance is a huge part of the culture.

Cons

Internal processes are constantly evolving to meet the demands of a growing company.

Advice to Management

Continue focus on marketing the fantastic brand. The story of North Highland and the tremendous value that North Highland consultants can provide needs to be shared so that potential buyers can be knowledgable regarding when to reach out to North Highland.

Loved working at North Highland

Former Employee - Great Place to Work in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Great Place to Work in Atlanta, GA

I worked at North Highland

Pros

Manages to be both highly professional, caring and supporting work / life balance

Cons

Most of power centers in Atlanta so satellite offices not great for individuals who don't really, really know how to network

Advice to Management

Make satellite offices the site for actual decision making, not just receiving those made in Atlanta

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at North Highland

Pros

Great Work/Life Balance Smart People to work with Flexibility to Try new things, Training etc.

Cons

No Annual Raise Depending on the city you're based in, the local travel can be extensive.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the resource pool you currently have and try to promote from within.

Great place for Christians

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland

Pros

As a practicing Christian, I have found the cultural issues and anti-Christian biases of the major consulting firms to be problematic. This is not the case at North Highland, where the active profession of faith is encouraged by a deeply religious and conservative management team. Indeed, it is not unusual for leadership to allude to faith-based activities in daily course of work (certainly not the norm at Accenture where any public mention of religion would be considered inappropriate). This family-friendly attitude is reflected most strongly in the work-life balance of the firm, where family and church always come first.

Cons

Pay is lower than I made at Accenture.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. We need more firms like this one.

Great place if you have what it takes

Current Employee - Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland

Pros

Smart people with deep relations at the client Great Client list Stock Ownership for all employees with 20% vesting per year, 5 year max 30% annual revenue growth and stock value (30% per yr for last 15 yrs on avg) Can make more here than at big 4 if you are good at the job Low travel (not no travel) No up or out policy so if you love what you do and are good at it, you can stay here and do it Compensation system weeds out those who are not a good fit

Cons

With no up or out, people get frustraed when they do not get promoted. Very limited pay raises for those who do not get promoted It is hard to understand the variable pay - it does work as designed though. We all feel like owners that need to focus on doing the right things every day.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the culture. It is a very special company. Make sure all new executive promotions/hires "get it"

Love that I can focus on doing the what's right for clients

I have been working at North Highland

Pros

The culture is definitely about satisfying client needs first; a positive outcome of being private and employee owned. The growth over the last few years -- national and global expansion and new types of services -- has really provided new opportunities. Ability to drive my own career path.

Cons

The flip side of freedom to drive your own career path is that it takes active management; great for proactive people. Rapid growth means growing pains, seems like always a lot of internal change going on (not necessarily bad change, just a lot of change). It can take a few years to see the value of employee ownership kick in.

Advice to Management

Don't rest on past success.

10. The last 18 months have been both challenging and rewarding, exactly what I was looking for when I joined North Highland

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at North Highland

Pros

The opportunity to collaborate with some of the brightest and professional consultants I have ever known in my career.

Cons

The biggest downside is not having the brand recoginition of some of the larger firms but we are making progress.

Advice to Management

Continue to be willing to address base compensation incentives as the market improves

A positive and enriching enviroment to work in with effective executive leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at North Highland

Pros

Very strong culture and values Large emphasis on work life balance Opportunity for growth experiences and advancement Clearly defined expectations and goals Strong accessability to executive leadership

Cons

Moderate compensation levels are enhanced by variable compensation model, bonus structure, work-life balance and employee owned corporation/stock options.

Advice to Management

The leadership of North Highland communicate goals and values clearly while providing opportunities to be accesible to all levels of employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed