North Highland

Updated September 19, 2014
2.9

North Highland President and CEO Dan Reardon
Dan Reardon

Pros
  • There isn't a better company out there with work/life balance (in 41 reviews)

• Employee Owned in the truest sense; collaborative culture; solid work-life balance (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Low base salary, complex bonus structure, mediocre benefits (in 15 reviews)

• The work/life balance has tilted into mass amounts of work for almost no gain (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

A positive, thoughtful culture with good people who care!

I worked at North Highland full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have worked in many office environments where the ethical and moral boundries were tested and it is really great to have worked with a firm full of people who want to do the right thing for the firm, the people and their clients. North Highland is trying to make changes to improve the firm overall so the employees can continue to provide a solid career path for each person.

Cons

It will take some and a few cycles before North Highland achieves its goals. Patience is key as I believe they will get there.

Look deeper into why the changes are necessary to begin with. The market is much different than it was in 2001 and 2008-2010... Look at the potential market drivers that contributed to the success of the firm and what internal changes can combat the changes in the market today, 2014.

Working through some growing pains

I have been working at North Highland full-time for more than a year

Pros

North Highland is a people company and relationships matter here. Most people have a positive outlook and want to deliver great work for their clients. You have a say in where you want to go and what you want to accomplish during your time at North Highland. The company is almost done working through some major changes that should help make the goals clearer for the employees and ease/simplify some of the pain points that we've been experiencing. I believe our CEO is trying to do the right thing, even if he doesn't always achieve his goals. I would rather have someone keep pushing to improve and not get everything right than afraid to fail and staying put.

Cons

Leadership as a whole was getting a little too comfortable staying where they were and doing the same thing for many years without improving. It's like going up on a downward escalator - if you don't keep moving forward and adapting, you're falling behind. The recent turnover may unfortunately have lost some good people along the way, but overall help change the environment from stagnant to dynamic.

Repeating a lot of what has already been said: stick to just a select few ideas to move forward, not 30. Also, not everyone will be pleased with the changes - that's ok. Not changing means that we're don't care to improve, and frankly, we can do without those people anyways.

Changes are working

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You can move up at your own pace. No time in grade like the big 4. I worked hard and got promoted fast. Make more than I would if I stayed at Big 4. Other are working less hours and are happy doing it but do not move up as fast.

Cons

Lots of folks left this year that should have been asked to go before now. The "nice" culture sometimes leads to people staying longer than they should.

Stay the course. The changes you are making are clearly working. Don't read the posts here from those that we're let go. They are not our future.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of change - leadership challenges

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at North Highland full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people with great skills striving to provide value to their clients.

Cons

Leadership - lots of challenges with direction. Company in the middle of "transformation". Continues to remain non-competitive salary wise. Outward / public transportation not consistent with leadership decisions that operationally affect the organization.

Consider what behaviors you want to drive and go back to K.I.S with clients and your consultants. Get competitve and determine who you are competing against or market you want to be the leader in and differentiate.

If I could turn back time ...

I have been working at North Highland full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The culture was great and still has the potential to be great
    The leaders mean well
    Great colleagues
    Pipeline looks good in some locations

Cons

Travel is becoming norm, after years of professing a non-travel approach to consulting
    Comp is mediocre. If travel becomes norm, what's the point of accepting below market total comp?
    Old boys' network prevails in some offices, despite surface efforts to attract and retain women and new blood
    Leadership is insulated in Atlanta and out of touch with what matters to field

Get back in touch with your roots. If "owners" wanted to work for a "Big 4" consulting firm, they would have joined one.
    Ask yourself why some of the most loyal, long tenured resources are leaving. Respect the exit interviews, even if you don't like the responses.

Wonderful

Former Employee - Marketing Intern  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at North Highland as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Interns are offered benefits. Great work atmosphere. Real-world experience. Constant work to be done, no twiddling your thumbs here!

Cons

Internship was too short and no permanent position offered.

None

Avoid the UK branch - Not a good place to work, for Affiliate Consultants \ Contractors.

Former Employee - Affiliate Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Affiliate Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at North Highland as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

The Affiliate Consultants \ Contractors pay is very good, meets the UK market rate.
    Networked with other consultants from other consultancies .,,on assignment

Cons

University graduates with limited work experience are promoted from analyst to consultant.hence the advice they dole out is not tested or based on experience.,

Strong clique and herd mentality among consultants, they do not mix, outside their silos.

Highly paid analysts ,consultants and senior consultants seem to be engaged solely in admin work
    The good consultants seem to be restricted by engagement leads from delivering long lasting benefits. that would empower clients, but reduce consultant headcount

Experiencing Growing Pains, but Moving in the Right Direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Culture - people here genuinely like and enjoy each other
    - Employee-ownership model
    - Reputation in the market

Cons

- There is some uncertainty felt around the firm as to some organizational changes being discussed
    - Bonus structure is complicated (but this is something that is apparently being worked out)

Spend more time communicating priorities and timelines with each office

Heavy sales focus and very different culture from location to location

Former Employee - Principal  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Principal in Houston, TX

I worked at North Highland full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employee ownership mindset
    Strong offices in Atlanta, Charlotte, and across the east coast.
    Strong London office and a growing cutting edge marketing division (Sparks Grove)

Cons

Offices west of Atlanta are struggling with leadership, strategy, and growth.

Slow growth for smaller offices in the West, Mid-West, and Southwest. The center of gravity is truly Atlanta and Charlotte where the culture and leadership is strong. Smaller offices struggle to capture the culture and values of the mother-ship.

Very sales heavy in the smaller offices in order to try to gain critical mass. Less emphasis on strategy, people development, or delivery quality. Extremely reactionary in terms of chasing clients that happen to come our way instead of developing a methodical account penetration strategy.

Lots of turnover of top talent and negative growth trajectory due to lack of strategy and vision of local market leaders.

Provide better support framework for local market leaders to develop a strategy and a vision for their local market. "Sell baby sell" is not a strategy.

There is nothing in place to win the hearts and minds to retain top talent. You can stop losing talented Principals if you define a vision and have Regional Presidents spend more time with market leaders and offices at large to define the overall strategy and vision of the local market and have an open and honest discussion about some of the challenges ahead. Once everyone buys into the vision, we will have more collective success.

The variable compensation model has been hurting retention and recruiting and the company is finally blowing up the current model to move away from the current highly variable model to a more traditional fixed model. However, they are not giving everyone much deserved raises to base pay (and do not pay for cost of living increases).

Company I left not the one I joined

I worked at North Highland full-time

Pros

People there are really nice, but the brilliant consultants are hard to come by. Some "long-timers" still looking out for the best interests of junior consultants and are concerned with development.

Cons

Comp lower than industry average. Leadership can't distinguish between "A" consultants and "C" consultants. Division strategy isn't clear and leads more to fighting between divisions than collaboration / cooperation.

Constant course corrections are causing confusion with the junior levels - targets keep moving and makes it hard to focus on the appropriate priorities.

Worked for North Highland? Contribute to the Community!