North Highland Reviews

Senior consultant

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland full-time

Pros

Management cares about the employees, family matters to the company, coworkers become good friends.

Cons

Less travel-also a pro, lower salary (made up for by higher bonus and increased stability)

Apr 20, 2015Global Services

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on what it’s like to work with North Highland! One of our core values is care, meaning that we respect and value the individual capabilities, contributions and ... More

Changing...not necessarily for the better

I have been working at North Highland

Pros

Many great consultants . Clients respect the NH name. Local office leadership quality is mostly excellent

Cons

Recent changes to comp and releveling of existing staff have been poorly handled. Good staff are leaving due to feeling de -valued.

New people are hired with less experience than existing staff, yet getting higher pay than those who have been loyal good performers for years.

Having trouble delivering real solutions because of shrinking number of project execution staff, and too many new Vice Presidents being hired.

Industry and strategy direction is poorly delivered to local teams.

Advice to Management

Take care of the good experienced people as you add new folks, and realize you don't have to look outside to bring in management talent.

Apr 17, 2015Global Services

Thank you for your honest feedback. We appreciate the open dialogue that Glassdoor provides and recognize that as North Highland continues to grow, there will be challenges that need to be addressed ... More

3. Things have changed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

In some ways, the recent changes at North Highland have brought some positives. We have gotten better at ensuring people are living up to their level expectations --which has been a hard but necessary change. Also, for the most part, I find my colleagues to be sharp people that are enjoyable to work with.

Cons

While we say we want to do more strategic work that assures our standing as true advisors to clients, we still get caught in a lot of staff aug work. There are Account Executives that simply don't know how to get away from selling that sort of role. Furthermore, as consultants move up to Principal and even VP, expectations of them are solidly around BD and their ability to sell... and their ability to develop others and be good managers gets overlooked. Because we don't have 360 reviews, these concerns don't get aired... but it's definitely a topic of conversation among consultants. And many know which Client Leads and Client Execs to be wary of and even stay away from.

Advice to Management

The change management aspect to the changes that North Highland has undergone in the past year has been lacking. Some of the people we have lost were probably folks that needed to leave... but we have also lost a number of key people that will be hard to replace. Please pay attention to this --and please ensure that Principals and VPs are qualified to be at those levels from beyond just a BD perspective.

Apr 23, 2015Global Services

We appreciate you sharing your thoughts on Glassdoor. Consulting is a learning profession, and we benefit and grow from continued honest dialogue. Your local market and region leadership want to hear ... More

5. iT Tech

Current Employee - IT Tech in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - IT Tech in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

Benefits are not very good

Advice to Management

Work hard for your staff

Apr 23, 2015Global Services

We appreciate you sharing your thoughts on what it's like to work at North Highland. We are always looking for ways to improve!

6. Executive

Current Employee - Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland (More than 10 years)

Pros

We are still the same firm we have always been. Our culture of care for our clients, employees, and community are as strong as ever. Our new Operations Strategy group is driving big changes at our clients leading to solid execution work.

Cons

Change is hard even for consultants. Maybe especially for consultants. They market changed and we had to respond in order to maintain our growth and effectiveness with our clients. We now offer a wider range of services and our folks needed to align with those. Sadly, not everyone did. The silver lining for those who were with us a long time is the Employee Ownership. Many received 6 or 7 figure equity payouts.

Advice to Management

Stay the course.

Apr 20, 2015Global Services

At North Highland, we believe that open dialogue and transparency are important to helping us grow and evolve as a firm. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts about North Highland!

Slow and Painful Demise

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at North Highland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great. At least, whatever is left of them. NH is losing its top talent drastically because of the model changes which bring unrealistic sales and performance goals making it nearly impossible to meet them.

Cons

Smaller offices have limited work (making it impossible to meet goals), high employee turnover, and quite a bit of leadership transition. Business development leads in smaller offices are not solid and the firm does not seem to invest or focus on this. It is sad to watch the demise of this once fantastic company. It is sad to watch the top talent slowly dissipate and transition elsewhere. This is a slowly crumbling company. Get out while you can.

Advice to Management

Focus on talent retention. Focus on business development in smaller offices. Implement strong metrics and if the BD leads do not meet them, take action. And when the CEO has to encourage its employees to post good reviews on Glassdoor so that they "get the ratings up," not only does that woefully skew the results for honest job seekers, but it is also just a bad sign for where the company is headed.

Apr 21, 2015Global Services

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on North Highland. We've always prided ourselves on being transparent and honest with our people and we believe it’s a two-way thing. Open feedback from our ... More

Times are changing for the worse...

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High quality of life - no/low travel, flexibility in work schedule, telecommute opportunities. Worked for Fortune 100 companies in challenging, strategic, advisory roles.

Cons

Executive team is two faced. Compensation is woefully low in new/emerging offices. The Atlanta mothership is the priority, other offices are afterthoughts. Employee morale is at an all time low.

Apr 20, 2015Global Services

Thank you for feedback. We appreciate the open dialogue that Glassdoor provides and recognize that as North Highland continues to grow, there will be challenges that need to be addressed. We ... More

Consulting

Current Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the people here! I have never worked in such a supportive environment!

Cons

Nothing I can think of

Advice to Management

Love the company values and senior leadership!

Apr 20, 2015Global Services

Thanks so much for your review! We always like to hear from employees who are having a positive experience at North Highland!

Get organized....please!

I have been working at North Highland

Pros

Real quality people. Relaxed but professional. Region Presidents and Market Leads are excellent.

Cons

Human resource changes to the compensation, career paths and performance management have been poorly implemented. Instead of putting an infrastructure in place and communicating accurate information, the consultant population has heard "We're working on it" or "Trust us". Very sad to say the blind are leading the blind off a cliff. An additional sad fact is that in a city like Atlanta we only have 4 or 5 African American consultants....what is that all about? I see this as a real negative reflection on talent selection. I've been with NH for 4 years and have to say experienced consultants are fewer and fewer as they are grabbed up by other firms and industries.

Advice to Management

Get your infrastructure in place. Your words may have improved with Marketing but from the inside there is very little substance or leadership to give them power.

Apr 20, 2015Global Services

At North Highland, we take employee feedback very seriously and will make sure to share your comments with those leading these internal efforts. We appreciate you voicing your concerns and would ... More

Middle market firm

I have been working at North Highland

Pros

Work life balance, minimal bureaucracy

Cons

Inconsistent quality of staff, no name recognition

Advice to Management

Pick one path - a middle size firm can't be everything to everyone.