North Highland Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Principal (started as a Manager, then moved to Sr Mgr then onto Principal)

Former Employee - Principal in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Principal in Nashville, TN

I worked at North Highland full-time

Pros

North Highland is attempting to remain current, and relevant and redefine itself given its size - 2200+ employees (vs the 130 some odd employees we had when I started in 2002). Some local office leadership - The Nashville Office Leader is a very positive force in this company. If you began in the early days as did I, you walked away with a sizable ESOP. I was a high performer year after year and contributing millions to the bottom line and across many people I coached. Thanks for these early opportunities!

Cons

North Highland continues to struggle to find and reinvent itself. It was clear when the founding father left, the current CEO would transform North Highland. It's unfortunate he is transforming the company into a big 5 look alike but it's not quite the big 5 or is he working to sell the unsellable. And for those of us who were born and bred big 5, no thanks. For the hassle, I would return to the big 5! The stock price is on a downward turn. For an employee owned company, leadership company wide had very little say so on the direction Dan decided to take. Those who objected were removed from the inner circle. So far, we have not seen it pan out. The stock price is down and the real ingredient for success (North Highland's experience, people and values) is now gone. North Highland is hiring kids and if you are a kid looking for an alternative to the big 5, perhaps since you did not interview well with the big 5, North Highland is a good alternative. Remind yourself, you will travel with North Highland just as you would with the big 5 - the non travel days, much like your ESOP is gone. Please remove Dan and think through your next strategy to transform yourself to re enable a positive stock price.

Advice to Management

Reference the cons. Overall - two words = broken transformation. Please do not bother responding with a cookie cutter response from Atlanta social media and marketing.

2. Executive

Current Employee - Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at North Highland (More than 10 years)

Pros

We are still the same firm we have always been. Our culture of care for our clients, employees, and community are as strong as ever. Our new Operations Strategy group is driving big changes at our clients leading to solid execution work.

Cons

Change is hard even for consultants. Maybe especially for consultants. They market changed and we had to respond in order to maintain our growth and effectiveness with our clients. We now offer a wider range of services and our folks needed to align with those. Sadly, not everyone did. The silver lining for those who were with us a long time is the Employee Ownership. Many received 6 or 7 figure equity payouts.

Advice to Management

Stay the course.

Apr 20, 2015 – Global Services

At North Highland, we believe that open dialogue and transparency are important to helping us grow and evolve as a firm. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts about North Highland!

Lying on Glassdoor

I worked at North Highland full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There used to be many - apparently none are left.

Cons

If it is true that the spate of cookie cutter 5 star reviews were planted on this site as an order from the top, then this is a scandal that shouldn't go unnoticed or unpunished. It is one thing to undermine yourselves, but to portray disingenuous reviews to potential candidates and to undercut the entire purpose of this website is an unconscionable lack of integrity and ethics. This is beyond embarrassing, and should not reflect on those who work there currently or previously but rather serve as the final indicator of how horrendous and paranoid executive management has become. Shame on you for sullying the name and integrity of a once proud company.

Advice to Management

The CEO and Managing Directors need to be held directly accountable for this. It saddens me that Dave Peterson's vision has been so visibly and publicly tarnished.

Falling apart by the day & trying to cover it up

I have been working at North Highland full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, lower pressure environment than the big 4 (for now), and you get to learn how not to run a consulting firm!

Cons

You need look no further than how North Highland has managed its presence on Glassdoor to see how dishonest and desperate this company is. While this used to be regarded as a great place to work, North Highland now has to resort to lying to create the impression that's still the case. Congratulations on reading past the first page, where the obviously fake and sickeningly flattering reviews paint a pretty deceiving picture of the company. This place is falling apart at the seams under incompetent management and pathetic HR practices. A few months ago, the CEO made a desperate plea on a national call for staff to post positive reviews--when that didn't work, it looks like somebody just made some up and paid Glassdoor to put them at the top of the list. Rather than fix the numerous issues with boring work, slow sales, miserly budgeting, 1995 technology, unhappy staff, and loss of anything unique or special to the brand, North Highland has chosen to lie to candidates to keep bodies churning through the disappointment machine. Don't buy the lies--this is absolutely not a great place to work, clients do not value its brand relative to its competitors, the bonus programs are full of "gotchas" designed to cheat you out of money, and there is nobody in management you'll want to emulate.

Advice to Management

"Anything less than the truth is a lie." Remember it and live it. Stop the "trust us to do the right thing" routine and actually have some principles.

Lost direction

Current Employee - Principal
    Current Employee - Principal

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This was a genuinely exciting place to work for a long time. There was a positive and collegial atmosphere and people were highly collaborative.

Cons

As the consulting market has gotten more demanding, management has failed to respond with focus and credibility. Growth initiatives are poorly thought out and the company's general market failure is being pinned on the employees, who are begin assigned tougher and tougher performance objectives, as if their performance were the issue. It isn't.

Advice to Management

Stop stop stop the craziness. Simplify. Cut the growth targets until the company finds its center again. Stop telling everyone else they need to make sacrifices. Maybe you do.

Apr 17, 2015 – Global Services

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on North Highland. Consulting is a learning profession, and we benefit and grow from continued honest dialogue. We do provide our people with avenues to explore ... More

Be Aware

Former Employee - Corporate Office
    Former Employee - Corporate Office

I worked at North Highland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some really great people, but the good ones are leaving every day.

Cons

Highly political environment. Very...Very dishonest leadership. Mean spirited and down right evil people heading the corporate office. They are not interested in fixing problems, but put a great deal of effort into covering them up. Corporate office team is overworked. The company is taking on too many initiatives and not giving the support team what they need to manage the growth. ...everyone is under paid. I've seen people age 10 years in 1, working at this company. New Hires be careful, they will tell you your job is one thing, and once you start, it will be completely different. The few who spoke up were sabotaged. Management are like helicopter parents, and make decisions without knowing the details. I also believe that all of the positive reviews you see on here are written by management. No one else would say those things.

Advice to Management

Shift your values to a more ethical base. All of the politics kills the loyalty of the teams. Listen to the people doing the work. They see more than you do.

Transparency does not trickle

Former Employee - Corporate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Corporate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at North Highland

Pros

Great people, lots of talent

Cons

Untrust worth senior executives, low pay and diminishing culture

Advice to Management

Get back to the core, do what is right by your people

Apr 17, 2015 – Global Services

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Transparency is of the utmost importance to us and we believe in two-way dialogue and conversation. We will continue to use this feedback as a way to better our ... More

Consulting

Current Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at North Highland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the people here! I have never worked in such a supportive environment!

Cons

Nothing I can think of

Advice to Management

Love the company values and senior leadership!

Apr 20, 2015 – Global Services

Thanks so much for your review! We always like to hear from employees who are having a positive experience at North Highland!

Fantastic company to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at North Highland full-time

Pros

Fantastic company to work for! From strategy to execution, the firm continues to deliver meaningful work and bring great value to the client. I have had the pleasure of delivering challenging work while working with some great people. Truly a great place to work.

Cons

Currently going through some necessary growing pains but senior leadership continues to keep the company's core values at heart throughout the transition.

Middle market firm

I have been working at North Highland

Pros

Work life balance, minimal bureaucracy

Cons

Inconsistent quality of staff, no name recognition

Advice to Management

Pick one path - a middle size firm can't be everything to everyone.

RSS Feed </> Embed