North Island Credit Union

Rebecca Collier

Small Credit-Union - Family Feel

Former Employee - Member Service Representative I in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative I in San Diego, CA

I worked at North Island Credit Union part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The work environment wasn't stressful, only when frustrated members got upset. I loved my co-workers and we treated each other like family. We all loved the members as well and almost always saw the same people. Paid holidays.

Cons

2 weeks of vacation, days given by seniority. Mediocre pay.

Bill Cademy

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at North Island Credit Union full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent employer - they really care about their people as human beings, and not "just another resource." When they had to lay me off (due to restructuring) they were very open and up-front about it.
    Mark Firestone is a great man to work for. Not only does he understand the needs of the financial industry from an IT viewpoint, but he also understands the needs of his people, and will do whatever he can to support their individual needs.
    If they were to ask me, I would go back to work there in a heartbeat.

Cons

As with most companies in America, they always look for shortcuts to save on budget. Sometimes these shortcuts backfire.

Be willing to spend a little more on staff/infrastructure to ensure 7/24 availability of computer systems.

Healthy work Environment

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at North Island Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

North Island really does make sure their employees are cared for. They have pretty good benefits and they encourage training.

Cons

Incentive plan and decisions made by upper management in regards to incentive plan. They're always changing it and changing things last minute so they don't have to pay out as much.

You guys have great ideas but be a little more involved and friendly when going out to the branches. Of the two of you, I've seen, not one acknowledged any branch personnel.

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Compliance in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Compliance in San Diego, CA

I have been working at North Island Credit Union full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good new leadership with an outstanding outlook. Survived the recession and remained independent to the wants of our members. Centralized location and good rapport in our community.

Cons

Slowly implementing incentives but they are being implemented. Continual building in our loan portfolio has created a bit of a back log in our back office personnel. Imaging standard are lacking but improving.

Build peer to peer relations. No new employee introduction.

North Island Credit Union is a joke!

Former Employee - Msr in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Msr in San Diego, CA

I worked at North Island Credit Union part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Its a Credit Union, that's about it!

Cons

Most of the employees are rude and don't deserve jobs in customer service. If you're unhappy QUIT! Obviously, the employees are a reflection of their management. What does that say for a company?

Please please please replace 95% of your employees with people who will appreciate their job. Offer a customer service training class.

Great Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at North Island Credit Union

Pros

They are not the largest employer so career advancement is somewhat limited but they care about their employees and do their best to do right by them.

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities due to size of company

I think you guys did a great job and when i was laid off I appreciated that you cared.