North Seattle Community College

Updated Apr 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Diversity, camaraderie and community

ProsNSCC has the most diverse student population I have ever seen. You can hear 6 languages walking across the campus. I taught a class that had one British, one Spanish (from Spain), three Chinese, one Japanese and two Swedish students.
    People here are quick to help out and jump in. There is a real sense of camaraderie.
    There are many opportunities fro personal development no matter what level you are employed at. Most of them free!

ConsLike any academic institute getting a job is tough and being an internal candidate is only a little help.
    The college is part of a district which means often decisions are not made on campus.
    Like all institutions in which profit is removed as a driver there are sometime some odd politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe third goal of NSCC is building community. This means more then supporting student diversity it. Means supporting internal candidates, fostering a sense of cohesion and history for the campus. We are North. We may be part of the district but we still have our own culture and our own values.

Leadership is very aloof and there are a lot of politics that take from the drive of the institution.

workforce education specialist (Former Employee)

ProsIt was worse and has been getting better. Many projects were started to improve the campus ...

ConsIn a year and a half I had three different bosses'. A lot of staff aren't very nice to students, they seem frustrated with their jobs, not a community feel

Advice to Senior ManagementCare

Physics/Math/Computer Science tutor

Prosgreat coworkers, great experience, good co-workers

Conspoor salary, few amount of hours per week

Advice to Senior Managementpay more to your tutors

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall decent pay for part time work study hours

Lab Tutor (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsSystem allows the ability to flex to your needs to an extent. Payday is pretty much always on time. Electronic submission for hours.

ConsVery little in the way of explanation on how things work, limits on hours, and rare to get reminders for when hours must be in by. Best bet is to ask somebody whose been part of the system already and go from there. Pay is bi-weekly.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider improving basic information for student worker do's and dont's.

Satisfactory

Tutor (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsFlexible hours. Great part-time job for students.

ConsCan't work more than 15 hours per week.

Training a workforce.

Instructor (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsAny job in this economy is a 'good' job. If you believe in training workers, this is the place. Changing lives through education.

ConsYou better get used to teaching the same thing over and over and over and over again. Uninspired leadership too.

Worked for North Seattle Community College? Contribute to the Community!