North Shore LIJ Health System Reviews

Reset
3.6
North Shore LIJ Health System President, CEO, and Director Michael J. Dowling
Michael J. Dowling

Pros
  • good benefits and health insurance (in 16 reviews)

• Great work life balance as far as days off go (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • They talk about work-life balance but aren't really committed to it (in 7 reviews)

• Unless you're a health professional (MD,RN, MPH, etc), there's no room for growth (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great workplace!!

I have been working at North Shore LIJ Health System

Pros

The working atmosphere is perfect and a great place to learn and get hands on training. I definitely recommend this place

Cons

There aren't any cons other than work hours I suppose but even then, you wouldn't mind because it doesnt seem like a bore

Advice to Management

Keep it up that is all. They know what they are doing here so I don't have much to say. I know there won't be any problems.

2. Admin

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Manhasset, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Manhasset, NY

I have been working at North Shore LIJ Health System (More than 3 years)

Pros

benefits, great staff, great management system, team work, innovation and dedication

Cons

close minded
    No room for growth
    No teamwork
    Stressful environment
    Posting old positions takes forever

Advice to Management

Na

3. Administrative Manager

I have been working at North Shore LIJ Health System

Pros

Large enough to move around and experience different departments.
    Continuing Education through CLI and tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Compensation is not reflective of current Manhattan market.
    Leadership lacks cohesive message. Often times, mid level leadership loses focus on the overall goals and focuses primarily on pleasing physicians, not patients.

Advice to Management

Consider the size of the organization. Large companies often lack appropriate communication.

5. my last job there

I worked at North Shore LIJ Health System

Pros

the pple you work with become your extended family, benefits are great, vacation time is great

Cons

work very hard, made to feel guilty when you take time off (vac or sick), management does not recognize hard workers, no promotions, if you have a complaint you are seen as not a team member, always get the sense that management feels everyone is replaceable

6. practice office supervisor

I have been working at North Shore LIJ Health System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, supportive management, tuition reimbursement. They have a lot of employee enrichment programs and a lot of opportunities for advancement.

Cons

A lot of their required training programs are only offered on Long Island, which is a bit of a hassle of you're a Manhattan employee. Not very clear or upfront about how their raises and compensation programs work.

Advice to Management

Be open and clear with new employees, have more HR type info available on the employee intranet.

7. nslij

I have been working at North Shore LIJ Health System

Pros

nice work environment with coworkers

Cons

long vesting period for retirement benefits, spouse must pay an extra sum for joining healthcare plan

They care more about image

I worked at North Shore LIJ Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My job was stimulating and challenging. I really enjoyed working with most of my co-workers and the salary was decent.

Cons

The "top people" were more concerned about image and obtaining more opportunities to make money than they were about genuinely helping the patients. They did not value allot of their employees.....ultimately I felt completely disposable. I was a witness to heartbreaking treatment of many valuable co-workers. Their main interest = MONEY over everything else.

Advice to Management

Realize that you will ultimately function more efficiently if you treat your employees well. Don't keep them in the dark about everything. Value them as members of a team and not just disposable cogs.

9. Great company to work for

I have been working at North Shore LIJ Health System full-time

Pros

Great company to work for ,the employees make a difference. There are great employment perk such as 401b plan,credit union and insurance.

Cons

Can be disorganized depending what department you work for.

Advice to Management

Opportunities for employees to climb the career ladder.

Risk Management

Former Employee - Risk Management in Manhasset, NY
    Former Employee - Risk Management in Manhasset, NY

I worked at North Shore LIJ Health System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employees are hard working and generally competent. Salary was reasonable market value BUT the work load and responsibility was TWICE that of comparable similar positions for the salary.

Cons

Salary, though market value, was much too low for the level of responsibility and grossly unreasonable work load. The work load was close to double that of similarly situated positions in New York, but salary the same as other institutions whose work load was half of that. North Shore LIJ is unfortunately extremely demanding in their work load, never a moment to breath and have to scarf lunch down in 10 minutes (if at all), even going to the bathroom is difficult because of lost time due to the extremely unreasonable work load. Management is horrible, bullying and abusive. Every day someone is singled out by management for torture, abuse, yelling, threats - management takes their "discipline" beyond anything acceptable, HR is aware but can't do anything about it (numerous complaints), and the higher-ups don't care so long as work is done on the ridiculous budget that makes management look good. The yelling, screaming, threats, constant abuse and disrespect by management is beyond anything I experienced anywhere else in over 15 years, the turn over in this department is 40 - 50%, but nothing ever changes. No one is happy and everyone is unduly stressed and even scared and intimidated by the horrible management that makes the stressful workload even more unbearable.

North Shore LIJ Health System Response

Jul 2, 2015Candidate Engagement

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns. While feedback such as this is never easy to read, we do take it very seriously. Our great health system prides itself on building an engaged ... More

11. Great Health System to work for

I have been working at North Shore LIJ Health System full-time

Pros

Extensive services across different specialties

Cons

Fragmented systems due to rapid acquisition

Advice to Management

Invest more in Research

RSS Feed </> Embed