North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System

North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System Reviews

Updated Mar 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System President, CEO, and Director Michael J. Dowling

Michael J. Dowling

Pros:
  • "good benefits, competitive salaries, easy commute from Queens or mid-Island"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Great benefits, decent hours, and my coworkers were all fun to work with"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "I was concerned about senior management decision making, It seemed they were interested in short-term results"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

North Shore LIJ is an expanding network of hospitals, that are very motivated, innovative and forward thinking.

Unit Receptionist (Current Employee)
New Hyde Park, NY

I have been working at North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe pay rate is good, they have a solid union and the environment of workers is one that everyone tries to help everyone.

ConsThe communication between staff could be better.

Top heavy corporate culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System

ProsLarge system offering fiverse experiences in health care.

ConsTerrible corporate culture, beltyling and dispespectful

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your style to being mire constructive as opposed to destructive.

IT dept

Information Technology (Current Employee)
Westbury, NY

ProsNice friendly teams to work with
Good experience with a large enterprise environment where IT solutions have to be scalable and fault-tolerant
Employees with different skill-levels, departments, cultures and backgrounds form tight bonds of lasting friendship centered around their common hatred (justified or unjustified) of upper-middle management

ConsA lot of time is spent around fighting fires instead of fixing the root cause
Troubleshooting process does not follow much logic. It is stuck very much around the resolution of the previous most recent issue.
No budget or effort put towards training and development of employee skills
Severe lack of communication within the IT dept.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's hard to fix the culture in a large environment, keep at it.

Too large of a company to care for advancement of employees

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

Pros1199 Health and Child Care Benefits

ConsUnable to take vacation due to shortage of staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat all employees fair and provide work life balance by providing vacation time. Banking accruals does not benefit the well being mentally or physically on a burnt out employee.

A system with huge potential, but has growing pains.

I have been working at North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System full-time for more than 8 years

ProsHuge health system were you meet many people and there are many opportunities. They have been restructuring for many years and have been replacing people who were there too long with new management/leadership.

ConsUndergoing growing pains so there are infrastructure issues (e.g. IT lags behind, not everything is electronic, processes take too long), resources are slim and budgets are tight. HR is also not very innovative and a bit backwards. Hard to figure out who does what and who to go to in such a large system.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to employ those who are motivated, adapt to change easily and are service oriented. Evaluate processes and make changes as what we were doing even 5 years ago is probably outdated and not enough to keep up with the growth that the HS has seen. It's time to be more strategic and re-think our business model.

Great place to work

I have been working at North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System

ProsTop notch health system, visionary CEO

ConsDemanding, and if you don't speak up you'll be there 50-60 hours a week

Better Than I Expected

I have been working at North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System full-time

ProsGreat future with a strong and well positioned organization. Consistently growing by affiliating and joining other practices and providing excellent service in the region.

ConsMany layers and some redundancy. Heavy reliance on meetings and reports...

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage with and help build trust thru transparency and consistency.

Large and tedious organization, but treats employees well.

Research Coordinator (Current Employee)
New Hyde Park, NY

I have been working at North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits and decent pay

ConsSuch a large organization that sometimes the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing so problems persist longer than necessary.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees more

The people have been wonderful, mostly great place to work

I have been working at North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI think for the most part, everyone tries to collaborate and work together for one goal, to create a better environment for patients

ConsI think anywhere has some cons, it's how you work through them

Advice to Senior ManagementClose support to your employees are essential

Stay away from the OCIO

Melville, NY

ProsPTO, health insurance, work life balance

ConsUnless you're a health professional (MD,RN, MPH, etc), there's no room for growth. This is a cut-throat environment. Managerial bullying is encouraged.

Wanna change the world by improving healthcare? go somewhere else. There's so much room for improvement but it's a stale corporate-america culture where mediocre performance is the norm.

You'll shine for as long as you go along with whatever management says. There's no room for stellar performance, common sense or critical thinking.

If you thrive in bureaucracy, you're in the right place. It is somewhere between the DMV and social services.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis place needs to take a serious look at their culture.

Worked for North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System CEO Michael J. Dowling. All 66 reviews posted anonymously by North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System employees.