North Star Resource Group Reviews

1. Featured Review

Great Experience/Company/Culture

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Independence
    Mentoring Program
    Advisors are happy to help one another creating a positive abundance mentality
    Focused on Medical and Attorney Markets
    Flexibility to make your own schedule
    High payout percentages compared to competing financial companies

Cons

Difficult to start in the career lots of cold calls if you don't already have a network to prospect
    In the beginning you are over worked and under paid, and as years go on you will be under worked and overpaid

2. Financial Intern

Current Employee - Financial Intern in Saint Cloud, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Intern in Saint Cloud, MN

I have been working at North Star Resource Group

Pros

Jacobs Financial is great place to work. They work together very well as a team, and the atmosphere makes you feel very welcome.

Cons

I haven't come across any yet.

Advice to Management

Keep striving to reach bigger and bigger goals.

3. Receptionist

Current Employee - WISCONSIN in Fitchburg, WI
    Current Employee - WISCONSIN in Fitchburg, WI

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people work here. Very friendly.

Cons

There arent many cons at the moment

Great experience

Current Employee - Intern in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Intern in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at North Star Resource Group

Pros

Develop relationship with mentoring advisor
    Develop confidence on the phone
    Tons of support from entire management team
    Learn about the industry through training sessions
    Learn how to be a professional

Cons

It takes a certain type of person to work in this industry--you must be comfortable reaching out to people on the phone, as cold calling is the main duty you have as an intern.

Advice to Management

The management team is great. Down to earth and enjoyable to converse with. Very supportive, encouraging, and enthusiastic.

Work-Life Balance Motivates for Personal Growth and Development

Current Employee - Anonymous in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities from a career changer's perspective. I left my last career of many years because it did not have a promising career growth for me. At North Star I have been recognized for who I am as an individual and what I have accomplished thus far. Lastly, I have a wonderful manager that supports everyone's talent and is a great mentor in helping us grow as individuals. With the work-life balance at North Star, I am able to enjoy more time with my young child and to participate in school/sport activities.

Cons

Incorporating automated processes would be wonderful, and would help with efficiency in my department. Otherwise, I have enjoyed my experience thus far.

Advice to Management

I am thankful for the flexibility and the opportunities North Star Has to offer. I also feel fortunate that I can just talk to any of the management team at any given time, which was non existing with prior jobs.

Independence for advisors

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unlike large corporate firms, North Star is really great about giving independence to their advisors. As an independent contractor, you can structure your practice however you like and aren't forced into a "one-size-fits-all" mold. They also have a great open-door culture so you can talk with any advisor about their insights, practice management tools, etc. There is a lot of hands on training for new advisors and they strongly encourage joint work with more senior advisors so you're not left to fend for yourself. Through their affiliation with Securian, they are also able to offer additional education courses and conferences to help you succeed and grow your business.

Cons

As a brand new advisor you have to do a lot of cold marketing for events and the income is pretty unstable for the first year or two.

North Star invests in the people that work there

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My favorite thing about North Star is that there is a huge amount of opportunity for growth. They like to say that they recycle people. There are many people that work there that have started out in one role and moved to a different role because they found out it suited them better. The people and the culture are great and everyone has a lot of fun together.

Cons

It is a lot of hard work. People come into this career and don't realize how hard it is and they get frustrated. You have to be willing to talk to anyone without worrying about rejection.

Advice to Management

Have more team building scavenger hunts, so much fun!!

Nov 21, 2014Talent Aquisition Specialist

Thank you for the encouraging words! You are right, we love to help people do what they love. We are working on the scavenger hunts, thank for the input!

9. A challenging and very rewarding work environment

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work for myself, my extra efforts directly impact my career, I am only limited by myself

Cons

Under payed and overworked at the beginning of the career

Advice to Management

Better marketing tools, better technology for client tracking

Nov 21, 2014Talent Aquisition Specialist

Great feedback. Hopefully, since you have written this you have already seen an improvement in our marketing materials. We have hired 3 new marketing specialists in the last year and they want to get ... More

10. North Star has a great culture of success and support

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, flexible schedule, upward mobility/income potential

Cons

difficult to start your practice from nothing, compensation schedule is very confusing

Advice to Management

increase the stipend for new advisors and give slightly better benefits, change the compensation method to make it easier to see how you are getting paid and from where

Nov 21, 2014Talent Aquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience so far at North Star. You are not alone in your confusion of understanding the compensation program. We as a leadership team have heard you and ... More

11. I dont understand the negative reviews

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

North Star is one of the best financial planning firms in the country, hands down. I'm assuming the negative reviews above were put there by people who have no clue what it actually means to be an advisor. We have a high performance, no excuse culture. if you want to be an advisor, you have to be willing to take risk, work hard and stick through the tough times early on. The upper management is a star studded list of industry icons with the highest ethical standards you could imagine. Culture will vary somewhat between offices - I personally work in a small, high performing & highly positive office environment where everyone is respected and thanked for what they do every single day to better the lives of our clients.

Cons

For the wrong person, this career is the worst career you could imagine. You must take on personal financial risk, income instability, rejection and long hours to have a shot at becoming successful. If you don't have an entrpreneurial mindset, hard work ethic or generally positive and optimistic attitude, turn around and leave the industry before its too late!!!

This all said, for the right person, this is a dream career.

Advice to Management

Better CRM software and technology access would be appreciated.

RSS Feed </> Embed