North Star Resource Group

Updated Mar 4, 2014

Phillip C. Richards

No Structure, No Support, No Success

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsManagers are never present and you're able to make your own schedule. It's a great environment and culture but only for a select group of people.

ConsComplete disorganization throughout the entire company, which causes employees at all levels to experience frustration and failures in some areas. Upper management is focused on bringing in only a certain type of candidate and diversity is non-existent. Flagrant disrespect for women in private offices where HR representation is void.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen failures occur within the company, take responsibility instead of passing the buck to those below you. Leadership, respect and success start at the top and trickle down.

Awful place to work

Intern (Current Employee)

ProsThe last day of the job. Learning that I don't want to work for them. Learning that not all companies are created equal.

ConsMislead during interview process, paid under minimum wage, flawed mentor / rewards system. Only paid 6.25 per hour. No appreciation was shown during the internship. It was a terrible experience. I would never recommend this place to a friend. If you are a halfway decent candidate take your skills else where to a company that will appreciate you and reward you for your skills. You literally cannot afford to pay rent the first 6 months after starting with North star.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your lower level employees better. They are you're bread and butter. Every intern should get a meal at the dinners if you are expecting them to attend. It's the little things that will help you recruit good talent and right now you are failing miserably.

Awful place to work

Advisor (Former Employee)

ProsThe day I left that place.

ConsPonzi scheme structure. You bring two friends in, they each bring in two friends, etc. I feel horrible for their clients. Always getting slammed into highly commissionable life insurance products that don't make sense for their situation.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook in the mirror and slap yourself.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Be prepared to pay to work!

Financial Advisor (Former Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsUnlimited salary, Flexible schedule, Good coworkers

ConsThe recruiters make it sound like unlimited salary is in your near future but you will absolutely not get paid more than $400-$500 for about six months. You are required to purchase your own training tools for $600 a pop and if you aren't making any commissions, they require you to pay that when you leave! Seriously- no salary, no benefits, no leadership. And when you do sell products or make commissions, they absolutely require you to cut in your "mentor" even though they do nothing. Their "mentors" are only still producing there because they take 50% of commissions from their new employees and can "mentor" up to 15 people at a time!

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to continue to survive as an organization, you need to find some way to allow your people to make some kind of money! It was hard to sell life insurance to someone when I couldn't even afford to buy produce at the grocery store that week!

Lack of Leadership

Financial Representative (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsAbility to study for Series 7&66 and Life and Health

ConsOffice dynamics made it a unberable place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a training program designed for newly grads and do not tell individuals to take out a personal loan of 50k to stay in this career.

ProsComplete discretion over hrs worked.

ConsVery low pay for first few years, very low chance of surviving 3 yrs.

Mislead during interviews. Don't expect to make a penny at the job for at least the first month.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYoung office with opportunity to move up if you have a lot of local contacts that want to buy life insurance policies.

ConsSent me a bill for business cards and long distance charges for a total of approximately $13 after I quit. Worked here for 3 weeks before I figured out my first paycheck wasn't in the near future. Was repeatedly told to find my own contacts and if I couldn't find any of my own to just cold call the white pages. Awful experience... The job ended up costing me money.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive better descriptions of what the work will entail before your new employees decide to make the decision to devote the next couple of years of their life to something that they may not make any money at

Happy to be gone

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Flexible Schedule for support staff
    - Received time off when I wanted/needed it
    - Fun enviorment
    - 1/3 of the Financial Advisors are fun, and bonus their support staff since the company decided to stop giving raises 5 years ago

Cons- Management sucks
    - 5 year "raise freeze" for the staff even though the company was hitting "record high" numbers
    - No training program for new employees
    - There has not been a real Human Resouces contact for over 6 years
    - Management does not communicate with their staff on important matters

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want your employess to stay, and your advisors to be appy, try paying your staff more. They have given you many years of dedicated service, what have you given them?

Ok... but you had better have a natural market to sell to

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSupportive staff and basic training programs

ConsVery dated and high pressure to sell.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a base salary for recent grads to get a start.

Great opportunities for sales minded people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat training/mentorship program for financial advisors
    Fun people with "work hard to play harder" mentality
    Opportunity to travel
    They "recycle" employees to an extent
    Tons of perks and incentives for advisors
    Great benefits package

ConsAdvisor positions are commission based and your licensing comes out of pocket so don't expect to make a penny the first few months
    Traveling, supplies, and hiring assistants also come out of pocket if you are an advisor
    Lack of communication between offices
    Lack of training and advancement opportunities for employees who are not advisors

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement does a great job of communicating with the employees and giving credit where it's due.

Worked for North Star Resource Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at North Star Resource Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for North Star Resource Group CEO Phillip C. Richards. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by North Star Resource Group employees.