North Star Resource Group

3.8

Phillip C. Richards

No Structure, No Support, No Success

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time

Pros

Managers are never present and you're able to make your own schedule. It's a great environment and culture but only for a select group of people.

Cons

Complete disorganization throughout the entire company, which causes employees at all levels to experience frustration and failures in some areas. Upper management is focused on bringing in only a certain type of candidate and diversity is non-existent. Flagrant disrespect for women in private offices where HR representation is void.

When failures occur within the company, take responsibility instead of passing the buck to those below you. Leadership, respect and success start at the top and trickle down.

Awful place to work

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at North Star Resource Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The last day of the job. Learning that I don't want to work for them. Learning that not all companies are created equal.

Cons

Mislead during interview process, paid under minimum wage, flawed mentor / rewards system. Only paid 6.25 per hour. No appreciation was shown during the internship. It was a terrible experience. I would never recommend this place to a friend. If you are a halfway decent candidate take your skills else where to a company that will appreciate you and reward you for your skills. You literally cannot afford to pay rent the first 6 months after starting with North star.

Treat your lower level employees better. They are you're bread and butter. Every intern should get a meal at the dinners if you are expecting them to attend. It's the little things that will help you recruit good talent and right now you are failing miserably.

Awful place to work

Former Employee - Advisor
    Former Employee - Advisor

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time

Pros

The day I left that place.

Cons

Ponzi scheme structure. You bring two friends in, they each bring in two friends, etc. I feel horrible for their clients. Always getting slammed into highly commissionable life insurance products that don't make sense for their situation.

Look in the mirror and slap yourself.

Be prepared to pay to work!

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at North Star Resource Group

Pros

Unlimited salary, Flexible schedule, Good coworkers

Cons

The recruiters make it sound like unlimited salary is in your near future but you will absolutely not get paid more than $400-$500 for about six months. You are required to purchase your own training tools for $600 a pop and if you aren't making any commissions, they require you to pay that when you leave! Seriously- no salary, no benefits, no leadership. And when you do sell products or make commissions, they absolutely require you to cut in your "mentor" even though they do nothing. Their "mentors" are only still producing there because they take 50% of commissions from their new employees and can "mentor" up to 15 people at a time!

If you want to continue to survive as an organization, you need to find some way to allow your people to make some kind of money! It was hard to sell life insurance to someone when I couldn't even afford to buy produce at the grocery store that week!

Lack of Leadership

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Portland, OR

I worked at North Star Resource Group

Pros

Ability to study for Series 7&66 and Life and Health

Cons

Office dynamics made it a unberable place to work.

Create a training program designed for newly grads and do not tell individuals to take out a personal loan of 50k to stay in this career.

I have been working at North Star Resource Group

Pros

Complete discretion over hrs worked.

Cons

Very low pay for first few years, very low chance of surviving 3 yrs.

Mislead during interviews. Don't expect to make a penny at the job for at least the first month.

I worked at North Star Resource Group

Pros

Young office with opportunity to move up if you have a lot of local contacts that want to buy life insurance policies.

Cons

Sent me a bill for business cards and long distance charges for a total of approximately $13 after I quit. Worked here for 3 weeks before I figured out my first paycheck wasn't in the near future. Was repeatedly told to find my own contacts and if I couldn't find any of my own to just cold call the white pages. Awful experience... The job ended up costing me money.

Give better descriptions of what the work will entail before your new employees decide to make the decision to devote the next couple of years of their life to something that they may not make any money at

The assistants are over worked, under paid and not valued.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The other team members are great people and offered support whenever you needed it. It was a good learning experience.

Cons

The upper management does not value the team members. They view them ad replaceable and lower than. The advisors are allowed to do whatever they want and treat their assistants however they please.

Value the people that work for you. They make the day to day possible and keep your business running!

Happy to be gone

I worked at North Star Resource Group

Pros

- Flexible Schedule for support staff
    - Received time off when I wanted/needed it
    - Fun enviorment
    - 1/3 of the Financial Advisors are fun, and bonus their support staff since the company decided to stop giving raises 5 years ago

Cons

- Management sucks
    - 5 year "raise freeze" for the staff even though the company was hitting "record high" numbers
    - No training program for new employees
    - There has not been a real Human Resouces contact for over 6 years
    - Management does not communicate with their staff on important matters

If you want your employess to stay, and your advisors to be appy, try paying your staff more. They have given you many years of dedicated service, what have you given them?

Ok... but you had better have a natural market to sell to

I worked at North Star Resource Group (less than an year)

Pros

Supportive staff and basic training programs

Cons

Very dated and high pressure to sell.

Provide a base salary for recent grads to get a start.

North Star Resource Group Photos