North Star Resource Group

4.3

Phillip C. Richards

Great experience

I have been working at North Star Resource Group

Pros

Develop relationship with mentoring advisor
    Develop confidence on the phone
    Tons of support from entire management team
    Learn about the industry through training sessions
    Learn how to be a professional

Cons

It takes a certain type of person to work in this industry--you must be comfortable reaching out to people on the phone, as cold calling is the main duty you have as an intern.

The management team is great. Down to earth and enjoyable to converse with. Very supportive, encouraging, and enthusiastic.

Amazing Work Environment

Current Employee - Client Relations Coordinator in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Relations Coordinator in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at North Star Resource Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I have never worked in an atmosphere like the one created by North Star! Everyone is very happy to work with each other, and you do not feel any sort of tension that you might feel in a different office.

North Star also promotes a GREAT work life balance. North Star seems to understand that their employees have other obligations outside of work-- schedules are very flexible and created by the employee.

If you are completing an internship, or new to the industry, you will never find a group of advisors who are more knowledgeable than North Star's.

Cons

At first, completing the work of the internship is a little tedious, but it is only temporary.

Keep fostering a wonderful work environment!

Work-Life Balance Motivates for Personal Growth and Development

Current Employee - Anonymous in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great opportunities from a career changer's perspective. I left my last career of many years because it did not have a promising career growth for me. At North Star I have been recognized for who I am as an individual and what I have accomplished thus far. Lastly, I have a wonderful manager that supports everyone's talent and is a great mentor in helping us grow as individuals. With the work-life balance at North Star, I am able to enjoy more time with my young child and to participate in school/sport activities.

Cons

Incorporating automated processes would be wonderful, and would help with efficiency in my department. Otherwise, I have enjoyed my experience thus far.

I am thankful for the flexibility and the opportunities North Star Has to offer. I also feel fortunate that I can just talk to any of the management team at any given time, which was non existing with prior jobs.

Independence for advisors

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Unlike large corporate firms, North Star is really great about giving independence to their advisors. As an independent contractor, you can structure your practice however you like and aren't forced into a "one-size-fits-all" mold. They also have a great open-door culture so you can talk with any advisor about their insights, practice management tools, etc. There is a lot of hands on training for new advisors and they strongly encourage joint work with more senior advisors so you're not left to fend for yourself. Through their affiliation with Securian, they are also able to offer additional education courses and conferences to help you succeed and grow your business.

Cons

As a brand new advisor you have to do a lot of cold marketing for events and the income is pretty unstable for the first year or two.

North Star invests in the people that work there

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My favorite thing about North Star is that there is a huge amount of opportunity for growth. They like to say that they recycle people. There are many people that work there that have started out in one role and moved to a different role because they found out it suited them better. The people and the culture are great and everyone has a lot of fun together.

Cons

It is a lot of hard work. People come into this career and don't realize how hard it is and they get frustrated. You have to be willing to talk to anyone without worrying about rejection.

Have more team building scavenger hunts, so much fun!!

Nov 21, 2014Talent Aquisition Specialist

Thank you for the encouraging words! You are right, we love to help people do what they love. We are working on the scavenger hunts, thank for the input!

Educational, exciting, fulfilling, incredible support and encouragement, ability to be challenged and rewarded

Current Employee - Client Relationship Coordinator
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Coordinator

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time

Pros

The entire firm has a team atmosphere where everybody is helpful, you are challenged to be the best you can be, there are goals to meet and you are never bored, and there is a great opportunity for growth!

Cons

It is a lot of hard work, you must be comfortable with talking to people and don't take rejection personally, some days you will reach your goals and others you will not- this means it can be discouraging at times so you have to remember you are in control of your effort and not always the immediate results!

Keep up what you are doing - encouraging people when they reach their goals and fostering a great team environment!

Nov 21, 2014Talent Aquisition Specialist

We are so glad that you enjoy the North Star culture. That is excellent advice that this is a difficult career but is so worth it for those who persevere.

Not for me, but not bad experience

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Dallas, TX

I worked at North Star Resource Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Independence
    Ability to grow your own business
    Very friendly people who are passionate about helping people with their financial affairs.

Cons

Mundane work
    Lack of mentoring among management
    Typical depressing intern environment

Try to inspire more excitement among your interns. Your output will only be so great if your inputs aren't excited to be there.

Nov 21, 2014Talent Aquisition Specialist

That is incredibly admirable that you know yourself well enough to see early on that this is not the right fit for you. We are constantly working on improving the internship experience and sincerely ... More

Awesome summer experience! Would definitely recommend to anyone

Current Employee - Intern in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Great, young environment filled with people interested in your success. I didn't feel like an intern, as everyone was very welcoming/friendly and it felt like I had been there for years. The team I was placed on became some of my best friends, and it made the work much more enjoyable. The training program was excellent, and I learned a lot throughout the summer.

Cons

The work can be stressful/frustrating at times, and it definitely takes a certain mindset to do the job.

Keep up the program! Although it wasn't for everyone, I, along with many others, had a fantastic experience with the program.

Nov 21, 2014Talent Aquisition Specialist

Thank you for your warm words! We are so happy that you get how amazing it is to work at a place where you actually want to hang out with the people that you work with outside of work. That is one ... More

A challenging and very rewarding work environment

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work for myself, my extra efforts directly impact my career, I am only limited by myself

Cons

Under payed and overworked at the beginning of the career

Better marketing tools, better technology for client tracking

Nov 21, 2014Talent Aquisition Specialist

Great feedback. Hopefully, since you have written this you have already seen an improvement in our marketing materials. We have hired 3 new marketing specialists in the last year and they want to get ... More

North Star has a great culture of success and support

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture, flexible schedule, upward mobility/income potential

Cons

difficult to start your practice from nothing, compensation schedule is very confusing

increase the stipend for new advisors and give slightly better benefits, change the compensation method to make it easier to see how you are getting paid and from where

Nov 21, 2014Talent Aquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience so far at North Star. You are not alone in your confusion of understanding the compensation program. We as a leadership team have heard you and ... More

North Star Resource Group Photos