North Star Resource Group Reviews

Reset

1. A challenging and very rewarding work environment

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work for myself, my extra efforts directly impact my career, I am only limited by myself

Cons

Under payed and overworked at the beginning of the career

Advice to Management

Better marketing tools, better technology for client tracking

North Star Resource Group Response

Nov 21, 2014 – Talent Aquisition Specialist

Great feedback. Hopefully, since you have written this you have already seen an improvement in our marketing materials. We have hired 3 new marketing specialists in the last year and they want to get ... More

2. I dont understand the negative reviews

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

North Star is one of the best financial planning firms in the country, hands down. I'm assuming the negative reviews above were put there by people who have no clue what it actually means to be an advisor. We have a high performance, no excuse culture. if you want to be an advisor, you have to be willing to take risk, work hard and stick through the tough times early on. The upper management is a star studded list of industry icons with the highest ethical standards you could imagine. Culture will vary somewhat between offices - I personally work in a small, high performing & highly positive office environment where everyone is respected and thanked for what they do every single day to better the lives of our clients.

Cons

For the wrong person, this career is the worst career you could imagine. You must take on personal financial risk, income instability, rejection and long hours to have a shot at becoming successful. If you don't have an entrpreneurial mindset, hard work ethic or generally positive and optimistic attitude, turn around and leave the industry before its too late!!! This all said, for the right person, this is a dream career.

Advice to Management

Better CRM software and technology access would be appreciated.

3. A Company dedicated to building a strong culture and providing exceptional client service.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Quality work &commitment do not go unnoticed. As with any career, you should be required to demonstrate your value &North Star recognizes that.

Cons

We're in a client-centered business, which has both challenges & rewards.

Advice to Management

Keep setting a great example and high standards for your team members to help them realize their full potential.

North Star Resource Group Response

Nov 21, 2014 – Talent Aquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking time to write a review from a seasoned perspective. Your example is appreciated. Keep up the good work!

5. Great job with great people

I have been working at North Star Resource Group

Pros

Great place to work, learn, and lay down the foundation for a successful and rewarding career path! Wonderful and helpful people that truly want to help you succeed in all that you do and want you to accomplish all of your goals.

Cons

It is crucial that you are always working hard. A lot is expected out of you and you will work hard to get where you want to be.

The assistants are over worked, under paid and not valued.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The other team members are great people and offered support whenever you needed it. It was a good learning experience.

Cons

The upper management does not value the team members. They view them ad replaceable and lower than. The advisors are allowed to do whatever they want and treat their assistants however they please.

Advice to Management

Value the people that work for you. They make the day to day possible and keep your business running!

No Structure, No Support, No Success

I worked at North Star Resource Group full-time

Pros

Managers are never present and you're able to make your own schedule. It's a great environment and culture but only for a select group of people.

Cons

Complete disorganization throughout the entire company, which causes employees at all levels to experience frustration and failures in some areas. Upper management is focused on bringing in only a certain type of candidate and diversity is non-existent. Flagrant disrespect for women in private offices where HR representation is void.

Advice to Management

When failures occur within the company, take responsibility instead of passing the buck to those below you. Leadership, respect and success start at the top and trickle down.

8. Hard work, great culture, long term rewards

Current Employee - Financial Advisor
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time

Pros

Great culture and co-workers. Independence of owning your own business, flexible schedule. Freedom to build your practice however you envision it.

Cons

Takes a lot of hard work and long hours to build successful practice. Very unstable compensation for the first few years If you need someone to watch over you and tell you what to do then this career is not for you.

Advice to Management

Pay your staff more - we've got great administrative support but they aren't compensated as well as they should be.

Happy to be gone

I worked at North Star Resource Group

Pros

- Flexible Schedule for support staff - Received time off when I wanted/needed it - Fun enviorment - 1/3 of the Financial Advisors are fun, and bonus their support staff since the company decided to stop giving raises 5 years ago

Cons

- Management sucks - 5 year "raise freeze" for the staff even though the company was hitting "record high" numbers - No training program for new employees - There has not been a real Human Resouces contact for over 6 years - Management does not communicate with their staff on important matters

Advice to Management

If you want your employess to stay, and your advisors to be appy, try paying your staff more. They have given you many years of dedicated service, what have you given them?

10. A very rewarding career after a lot of hard work

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at North Star Resource Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have the opportunity to run your own business and have true job security Flexible work environment and schedule Incredible upside income potential which is limited only by your own motiviation Great culture and very supportive management

Cons

It's very difficult to get started and it can take years to build a successful practice. Very long hours and low pay during the first few years (up to 3 years) You constantly face rejection and skepticism as not everyone appreciates the work that you do. You can't just try this career on for size. It's just too tough and you will fail. It requires a great deal of persistence and vision to succeed in this business.

11. Ok... but you had better have a natural market to sell to

I worked at North Star Resource Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Supportive staff and basic training programs

Cons

Very dated and high pressure to sell.

Advice to Management

Provide a base salary for recent grads to get a start.

RSS Feed </> Embed