North Suffolk Mental Health Association

1.6

Deborah Wayne, O.D

Great learning experience

I have been working at North Suffolk Mental Health Association full-time

Pros

Very easy to maintain my work/life balance, but this could vary between programs. Great clinical supervision. Gained a lot of experience working in different areas of mental health.

Cons

Inconsistent management and poor communication at times with employees, but again I can only speak for my specific program.

Put more faith in your employees and communicate with them.

This company brought me to a deep depression.

Former Employee - Residential Counselor
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor

I worked at North Suffolk Mental Health Association full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best reason to me was the relationships I had with the clients. You see those people 40 hours a week, sometimes more than your own family, spouse, or friends. They sort of become your family. You learn their quirks, their happiness, you care about their wellbeing.

The vacation, sick days, holidays, health insurance was pretty good. Also, my schedule was able to be flexed.. If I worked a double then I would get flexed out and work only 4 days instead of 5. I did this alot when I wanted to stretch vacation days without using vacation days.

Cons

HMMMMMMMMMM... The culture of the company is really not what they tell you. They say they want the clients to live independently, but they only keep them down. They make the clients depend on them so much, talk so much trash about how they can't survive by themselves, but make it a goal that they move out. Then when they are almost at the goal, they do everything in their power to convince them that they're not ready

Also the culture of the company is very secretive. There has been SO MUCH that occured in this company.. frankly I'm scared to say on glassdoor. A simple google search will do. Once you become adjusted to the house you work out.. you will hear current employees talk down on the company. You won't believe them at first, but then once someone new comes to work at the house, you will say the same exact things that person was told you.

The gossip is too much.

Also no real rooms for improvement unless you kiss major tail. There have been plenty of times when I wanted to stay in the company and grow within. Opportunities were shut down at every interview.

They expect you to do EVERYTHING with no real structure.

LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES! THEY ARE HUMAN BEINGS.

Difficult job with little support from

Former Employee - Residential Counselor  in  Chelsea, MA
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Chelsea, MA

I worked at North Suffolk Mental Health Association full-time for less than a year

Pros

Learned a lot about working in group homes. Compensation was so-so, but some people were working the same job but with only a high school degree. If you keep your mouth shut and don't fight for your clients you'll go far. The company wants people who don't question their judgement and will follow them blindly.

Cons

Everyone who worked in the group home was miserable. It was very stressful and supervisors had little power to change the situation. A client would not be ready to move out but the company would say that they must leave and staff was left feeling helpless.

Listen to your employees. They spend everyday with the clients and know them better then you do. Maybe if you listened more, more clients would be able to make real progress, eat better meals, and more staff would be encouraged to stay with the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Underpaid, Underappreciated and Unsupported

Former Employee - Outpatient Clinician
    Former Employee - Outpatient Clinician

I worked at North Suffolk Mental Health Association full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are looking for experience working with a large variety of populations there is ample opportunity to do so.

Cons

You will never be able to work enough to make management happy. The expectations are unrealistic and staff are not taken into consideration when decisions are made. Staff are spoken down to and disrespected openly in front of other employees. You will be overworked and underpaid.

Show some appreciation to staff for their hard work. Ask for feedback and utilize it to make positive changes within the agency.

Clinician

Current Employee - Mental Health Clinician  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Mental Health Clinician in Boston, MA

I have been working at North Suffolk Mental Health Association full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Diverse client population with wide range of clinical issues.

Cons

No support from upper management. It's all about the bottom line, regardless of how this impacts employees well being and job satisfaction. Safety issues and employee concerns are not taken seriously. Poor working environment in some of the buildings. Unreasonable client caseloads. Salary is extremely low, no annual raises or cost of living increases. Lack of cohesion between departments. No training for clinicians related to relevant therapeutic issues.

Create an atmosphere of support for employees. Make the agency a place where people would want to work and build a career. Compared to the many other human service agencies that I have worked for, NSMH is by far the worst.

Values their clients but not their employees

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at North Suffolk Mental Health Association full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work. Treats clients with respect and dignity. Supportive peer network.

Cons

Ridiculously low pay. Antiquated systems. Acts as if they employ 100 people instead of 1000. Useless trainings with useless information. HR and senior staff are completely out of touch.

Update your systems and treat your employees with respect.

Lackluster and frustrating working with red tape and lack of leadership.

Current Employee - Social Worker  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Social Worker in Boston, MA

I have been working at North Suffolk Mental Health Association

Pros

If you have a supportive director - then that is a plus. The flexibility of making own projects is great if you are willing to take the extra time and extra work.

Cons

BENEFITS - only two weeks vacation for a mental health position? Unacceptable. administration and higher up managers are very closed-minded to change and there really is no room for promotion.Also the pay is awful - there hasn't been a raise here in 7 years and the requirement ot join a union for Social Workers is useless.

Look for more ways to promote within and find more opportunities tailored to staff's strengths. Give better benefits and more vacation time (we work so much!). A raise across the board would be great - not just a pay out once a year.

It is nice working with the clients, but management treat staff as bad

Current Employee - Residential Counselor  in  Chelsea, MA
    Current Employee - Residential Counselor in Chelsea, MA

I have been working at North Suffolk Mental Health Association

Pros

Holiday pay, Health Insurance and Vacation

Cons

They do not care about their staff, all they care about is getting more clients in and having 1 staff work with up to 9 clients for a shift.

Learn to treat your staff better because they work harder than you do.

Fair

Current Employee - Psychiatrist  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Psychiatrist in Boston, MA

I have been working at North Suffolk Mental Health Association

Pros

Good Medical Director and kind support staff

Cons

disorganized, and has a hard time retaining doctors

A terrifying experience that drove me out of the social services.

Former Employee - Program Coordinator
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator

I worked at North Suffolk Mental Health Association

Pros

It is easy to get hired.

Cons

Disorganized, lack of support, and an air of paranoia and suspicion around the whole company.

Train staff, support staff and be mindful that staff have family, friendships, school, and a life outside of work.

Worked for North Suffolk Mental Health Association? Contribute to the Community!