North Suffolk Mental Health Association

Deborah Wayne, O.D

1. Very good company to work for

Current Employee - Network Administrator in Chelsea, MA
    Current Employee - Network Administrator in Chelsea, MA

Pros

Great IT boss. Flexible work schedule

Cons

Company has talented staff to help it grow, but it is not growing first enough.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job.

2. Dedicated to the community

Current Employee - Outpatient Clinician in Chelsea, MA
    Current Employee - Outpatient Clinician in Chelsea, MA

I have been working at North Suffolk Mental Health Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The agency's mission to serve the underserved communities in which we are embedded (Revere, Chelsea, East Boston and others) has always been clear and strong. Some of my colleagues here have been absolute rockstars who continue to be motivated by the work done each day. There are a couple of managers who are willing to hear what's really going on with staff and try to explore ways to make employees happier. if you play by the agency's rules, you'll see many opportunities for advancement within the company.

Cons

Management. One reason given by management that staff retention is so poor and turnover rate is so high is that the agency cannot afford to pay competitively due the nature of the agency's not-for-profit status. While certainly this is one factor, let's not forget that every employee signs a document that contains what the salary will be before we start our employment. People don't leave because they suddenly discovered what they were being paid. With regard to work-life balance: the bottom line is billable hours produced. If you're not hitting the expected numbers, you bet you're having a conversation every week in supervision about why that's happening and what can be done to improve.

Advice to Management

Observe trends of where your employees are leaving the fastest and explore what's happening there.

3. Customer agent

Former Employee - Administration Clerk in Chelsea, MA
    Former Employee - Administration Clerk in Chelsea, MA

I worked at North Suffolk Mental Health Association (Less than a year)

Pros

Working and helping the community by assisting them. The company as a who have a great staff with a goal to help the struggling, either because of a disability, addiction or education level move ahead in the right direction.

Cons

The job was part-time. I needed more hours

5. Review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelsea, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelsea, MA

I have been working at North Suffolk Mental Health Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great working environment and great people to work with.

Cons

The pay rate is low.

Advice to Management

Increase employee salaries.

6. Extremely Negative

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at North Suffolk Mental Health Association (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the staff are very committed to their work and are passionate about the people that they are serving.

Cons

Unfortunately, my experience at NSMHA was very negative. As the newest member of my team I was made to feel stupid for asking questions in my first few days as I was being acclimated. I was treated extremely poorly by my colleagues. Fortunately I went on to find a position at a larger organization with a better work culture and benefits, and my salary increased by 45% at the new organization. I would not recommend NSMHA as a place to work, and although I was in close proximity to executive leadership, the bullying that I experienced was able to go on and I felt that I was completely unsupported.

Advice to Management

My former supervisor is no longer at NSMHA, so perhaps things have gotten better in my old department. I would recommend that leadership take a more active role in making the organization a more open place where concerns about work culture and bullying can be spoken about without fear of ramifications. At the time of this review the CEO is listed as Deborah Wayne, and I am not sure who this person is so I will not provide a rating. However, my rating of Jackie Moore as CEO would be overwhelmingly negative.

7. clinician

Pros

working with people in need

Cons

pay was lower than expected

8. student intern

Pros

Even though I am a student intern, the company trained me as an official employee.

Cons

Company located at Chelsea and I don't drive which made me a little bit hard to commute.

9. A nice place to work

Pros

I really enjoy working here because the management is terrific and the job is exciting and fun. If you're interested in getting started with a career in social work I'd recommend it.

Cons

The agency isn't in great financial shape, which means raises are hard to come by even when you get glowing reviews. The facilities are a little worn around the edges as a result also.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to largely keep doing what you're doing: cultivate trust-based, positive relationships with employees based on mutual respect.

10. I would not recommend working for this agency.

Former Employee - Clinician
    Former Employee - Clinician

Pros

I love the clients we work with and appreciate that the agency is embedded in the communities it serves. There are definitely some excellent staff people committed to doing great work.

Cons

There are major issues with facility maintenance, HIPAA compliance, finances, communication between staff and management, and lack of employee recognition, appreciation and support.

Advice to Management

Focus more on quality of service. Your employees are the tools of that service, so focus on improving employee satisfaction and retention. Consider the long term benefits of offering more paid time off and more competitive salaries. Reward employees who are focused on improving quality of service provision.

11. Residential Counselor

I worked at North Suffolk Mental Health Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities for advancement into management. Good benefits. Good to workers and to clients. Management and staff care about clients and it shows in work

Cons

Pay is definitely on the low side. The benefits help to counteract that but I had a second job on the side to help with income. While the staff was good for the most part, the structure of the programs did not always seem to benefit the clients. Training on health issues of clients was minimal so it felt as if clients were not getting best care possible: not for lack of caring but from lack of adequate training.

RSS Feed </> Embed