NorthKey Community Care

Updated Nov 15, 2013

Be The First To
Add Photos

Owen Nichols

Do a lot of good work for little pay

Clinical Support (Current Employee)
Newport, KY

I have been working at NorthKey Community Care full-time for more than a year

ProsBig believer in mental health and glad someone is willing to provide services on a sliding scale fee to help those at need

ConsMost of the jobs you do a lot of work, but don't get the pay for the time and effort involved.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees what they are worth or there will continue to be high turnover rates.

Very disappointing.

I worked at NorthKey Community Care full-time

ProsThere are a lot of caring people that work here for the poor at this facility, for very little recognition, very little pay and very little time off.

ConsThey do not allow their employees to be sick even with doctor's excuses, have no empathy or understanding for their own.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember the golden rule; "Treat others as you would want to be treated."

Administrative Oligarchy and Community Mental Health Do Not Mix

Therapist (Current Employee)
Newport, KY

I have been working at NorthKey Community Care full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFrankly, there are no good reasons to work at NorthKey as of late 2013.

ConsBad Pay
Bad Benefits
Uncaring Executive Team
Poor Service
No Communication
Mass Exodus of Best Employees
No Room for Advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk yourselves why you went into mental health when you were students. Then, ask yourselves again if your tactics over the last five years have jived with the aforementioned answer.

Please stop treating NorthKey like it's your personal Fortune 500 company. Please stop treating your employees like dirt while claiming to be worried about their input. Your monopoly on many human services in the area has evaporated, so you can ill afford to treat staff and customers so poorly and hope to succeed.

A dying institution.

I worked at NorthKey Community Care full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood, caring coworkers. Many have been there a long time.

ConsPoor pay, no chance of advancement. Seniority is a liability and they've gotten rid of many long-time employees. It has been reported they lost much of their funding due to surplus. There are also rumors of some unethical practices with Kentucky Retirement.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart valuing what employees you have left. Take a new look at the changes from the last few years. It's not working and a once fine, honorable institution is being destroyed piece by piece.

This is NOT the company it used to be!

I worked at NorthKey Community Care full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe patient care staff members are genuinely caring and compassionate.A great number of employees remained for many years in spite of lower pay than other similar facilities. Helping patients is truly rewarding.

ConsPoor pay, no raises for several years. What benefits we had such as sick time and PTO were slashed. Staff members are not appreciated. There is no advantage for seniority and in fact many long-time employees have been pressured to retire or terminated without just cause.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some appreciation for your employees and develop some ethics.

Dying Institution

R N (Current Employee)

I have been working at NorthKey Community Care full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe most caring and giving staff workers.

ConsThe pay is poor. There are employees that have 4 yr degrees working for just over minimum wage.
This use to be compensated with vacation and sick time, both have been cut. The work is difficult and the current atomsphere is stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe current management is more like a dictatorship and recent policies forbid employees from discussing management in a negative manner

The Worst Managed Company of All Time

Community Support (Former Employee)

I worked at NorthKey Community Care full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThere are no Pros at this place.

ConsThis agency is beyond a joke and beyond hope. They have consistently cut services, pay, and benefits for the last several years. By comparison, another similar local agency, Talbert House, continues to expand without layoffs. NorthKey is run as a dictatorship and the employees live in fear and have absolutely no say in anything.

NorthKey is way beyond the times for mental health needs. They have no electronic chart yet. You have to see a therapist in order to get medication from a physician, regardless of whether you need the service or not. NorthKey has been the subject of several unflattering articles in the Cincinnati Enquirer over the last half year.

If you are a new graduate, STAY AWAY from NorthKey. You will get lower pay, benefits, and tuition reimbursement than any comparable job in the Cincinnati area.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to school.

Great place to make your career!

I have been working at NorthKey Community Care

ProsGreat opportunity to learn from pros in the field
Management is open to innovative approaches
Receive great support from supervisor and coworkers
Opportunity to advance
Good benefits

ConsNeeds to update electronic record keeping and billing
Clinical staffburdened with toomany non-clinical tasks

Advice to Senior ManagementReallocation of non-clinical tasks to support staff would improve efficiency and accuracy.

Extremely poor staff morale due to management

Licensed Clinical Social Worker (Current Employee)

I have been working at NorthKey Community Care full-time for more than 3 years

Prosdependable pay check every 2 weeks
poor benefits

Consstaff are not treated like professionals. Morale is very bad

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit

The people are great to work with the professional climate is stagnate and antiquated

Florence, KY

I have been working at NorthKey Community Care

ProsThe work is rewarding. The work peers are very family oriented. The company has a good reputation in the community.

ConsNo options for professional/personal growth. Great for entry level experience but nothing further. Freeze on raises 4yrs+.

Advice to Senior Managementdevelop leaders within, create opportunities for professional development, promote moral/team building, more technology, less redundancy would result in more efficiency

Worked for NorthKey Community Care? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NorthKey Community Care reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for NorthKey Community Care CEO Owen Nichols. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by NorthKey Community Care employees.