NorthShore University HealthSystem

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015
3.2

Mark R. Neaman

Pros
  • Limited overtime/good work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Good benefits, room for advancement depending on department (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • They do things like "employee engagement" surveys and meetings, but understand this is for show (in 4 reviews)

• Don't ever show any disagreement with upper management, especially nursing (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Love my job

I have been working at NorthShore University HealthSystem full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment and coworkers. Upper management does everything they can to make your work environment feel great.

Cons

The pay could be better.

Great place for healthcare!

Former Employee - Vice President in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Vice President in Evanston, IL

I worked at NorthShore University HealthSystem full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Well organized with many opportunities for growth

Cons

Extremely structured and a bit rigid at times

NorthShore is possibly the best hospital to work for in the Chicagoland area.

Current Employee - RN
    Current Employee - RN

I have been working at NorthShore University HealthSystem

Pros

Company values, benefits, organization, management, positive work environment.

Cons

Possible changes due to merger with Advocate.

Current Employee

I have been working at NorthShore University HealthSystem full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a friendly environment to work. Most people greet you with a smile and strike up conversation with you. There are benefits with both part time and full time work. Great hours and your manager will work with your personal schedule based on your needs (example: family and school)

Cons

Short staffed. Difficult to move up and around in the company but it is possible.

Great for early career clinicians, not so great after a couple years.

Former Employee - Clinical Staff in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Clinical Staff in Evanston, IL

I worked at NorthShore University HealthSystem full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, many locations are easily accessible via public transportation, organized office environment, several support staff to answer administrative questions and help resolve issues. Great setting for learning business side of healthcare provision, good use of electronic medical record system, growing company.

Cons

Frequently felt more corporate and revenue-driven than patient-focused, little opportunity for collaboration with other clinicians or upward mobility. Management asks for feedback sometimes, but seems to be more for show, expensive overhead and lack of involvement in decision making about costs makes private practice feel like a better option after some time working here.

Conduct exit interviews and consider incorporating information from both current and former employees who are willing to give candid and constructive feedback.

Unit Concierge

Former Employee - Unit Concierge in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Unit Concierge in Evanston, IL

I worked at NorthShore University HealthSystem part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good experience in a medical setting.

Cons

Rough scheduling, lots of favoritism.

Great experience

Former Employee - Intern in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Evanston, IL

I worked at NorthShore University HealthSystem

Pros

As a summer research intern, I got firsthand lab and clinical research experience in a hospital setting. I also got to shadow doctors and residents and learned a ton about life as a doctor as well as medical school life. Great mentorship.

Cons

I was the only undergraduate researcher in my lab, and while there were others in the internship program that I was a part of, I never met any of them, as we had no group orientations or opportunities to get in touch.

Excellent teaching hospital system

Former Employee - Developer in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Developer in Evanston, IL

I worked at NorthShore University HealthSystem full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Above average industry benefits for a growing, highly profitable non-profit. Well established healthcare system that will only continue to prosper. Being a teaching hospital with excellent EHR/EMR has its pluses.

Cons

Employees who are not based at the main hospital, or direct care medical staff generally get less insight and exposure into the overall machine, including organizational visiblity.

More transparency, less layers, be more nimble. Improve health benefits, which are OK, but not fantastic considering this is a healthcare system.

More bad than good

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at NorthShore University HealthSystem

Pros

Great reputation, they value their patients and are quick to respond to errors. The stroke program is especially excellent.

Cons

Management will push the RN under the bus if the patient care interferes with the patient comfort. I felt like I worked at a hotel, rather than a hospital. Anyone can become a manager if they apply enough times; my managers were not only poor representatives of NorthShore, but also poor leaders, mentors, and resources.

Take your job more seriously. Have a little pride in the profession, rather than in yourself. Pour into the boots on the ground and they will serve you well, rather than going over their heads.

Very friendly, patient focused environment.

Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Evanston, IL

Pros

Clinicians are very patient focused, lots of teamwork/collaboration between disciplines, friendly/small-feeling environment even though it's a larger hospital. Access to great continuing education with a decent continuing education bonus each year. Also a very flexible manager who understood that there's life outside of work.

Cons

Lower compensation, outdated equipment and space.

Recognize when people wish to do more for the company and reward that. Try to give them other opportunities for showing this willingness to learn more and foster that environment within your company.

NorthShore University HealthSystem Photos