Northeast Georgia Health System Reviews

3.1
Carol Burrell

1. Pharmacy Tech

I have been working at Northeast Georgia Health System part-time

Pros

Flexible, good team, great benefits and awesome environment!

Cons

You get trained but the majority will be learning as you go.

2. All those awards must mean something

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, GA

I have been working at Northeast Georgia Health System

Pros

If you sit in a town hall or division meeting you will hear wonderful things. People are trying to do good things.

Cons

Every month there is a new buzzword and accompanying change in philosophy: A3, Lean, Quest.... There is no follow through after the initial burst of energy for the implementation.

Advice to Management

Define your strategic plan, implement and then follow up. Hold people accountable for supporting that plan. Try and stop the churn that is the Csuite. Did the CNO last even 2 full years?

Too quick of expansion, not enough leadership or vision, and WAY TOO MUCH turnover at all levels

Current Employee - Administration in Gainesville, GA
    Current Employee - Administration in Gainesville, GA

I have been working at Northeast Georgia Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good to get your foot in the door in healthcare. They aren't overly rigid due to a lack of candidates, so you can get your foot in the door even if you have minimal experience.

Cons

Leadership is abysmal and the turnover at the C suite level is alarming. They have a genuine lack of direction, very unclear objectives, next to nothing as far as role definition. There is no competition in the area, so the system can do what it wants and doctors and employees really have no say or way to change that. The IT infrastructure is worse than the leadership. Pay is significantly lower than you can find elsewhere. The system claims they are 'rural' but they are only about 10 minutes from health companies that pay 20% more.

Advice to Management

Get a strategic direction and quit pandering to the Georgia good ol' boy network that is pervasive here. Hire a few execs from the outside, stop looking at the fake accolades, and let the outsiders change the culture. You've created a bubble for yourself by eliminating competition, but that will pop. all bubbles do.

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Patient Access Representative
    Current Employee - Patient Access Representative

I have been working at Northeast Georgia Health System

Pros

Management is okay, people that work there are great, but many people leave after a few months

Cons

High turnover rate, low pay

Hospital or Hotel?

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Gainesville, GA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Gainesville, GA

I worked at Northeast Georgia Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Yearly pay raise (approx. $0.20/hr) if you completed continuing education and did not have any disciplinary actions. The company "self-insures" meaning that when you go to the doctor and they bill your insurance company for $400, and the insurance company pays $320, NGHS is writing that check for the negotiated rate. They have incentives for people who do not smoke to have a reduced premium, if you submit to a drug test and wellness check-up. Pay is much better compared to other rural hospitals, but is obviously much lower than what you may be offered at an Atlanta hospital. Since people are quitting left and right and there is a mass exitus, there are plenty of job openings.

Cons

Unfortunately this hospital has succumbed to believing that hospitals are ran like 5-star hotels, and have created a rating system that is constantly abused by patrons, or patients as they were once called. Nursing staff are measured not on the level of care given, but if their pain was alleviated, if the nurse responded to a call button within 20 seconds, if they felt they had to wait too long, if the nurse retrieved food for them if they were hungry, and many other factors that are not only out of the control of nursing staff, but also require them to jeopardize the quality of care given. When a nurse receives bad reviews, a mass email is sent out criticizing nurses and their "lack of compassion". The nurse then has a 1 on 1 meeting with their PCC and is berated instead of being asked to explain the situation. In fact, they are usually told how they could be fired.

The year is 2014 and the ED is paper charting - why you may ask? The hospital was talked into a new charting system called Paragon. The launch was such a failure, despite warnings from staff early on the in the training process, that the ED has decided that paper charting is more efficient than dealing with this failure; other departments have not been as lucky. Highlighting just a few features of Paragon: It looks like Windows Paint on an old Windows 2000 system with less than intuitive icons, there is not a free-text area - let me say that again, you cannot simply write anything - a user must select predefined terms and ailments, these pre-defined terms and conditions were written by programmers who have never once stepped foot in a hospital; especially an ER. Also, Nurses must scan medications, patient’s arm bands, which may work on a floor, but when John Doe is bleeding out there is no time to be scanning medications. To validate how serious of a failure Paragon is, the Chief Information Officer was fired/resigned over the incident, and the new hospital in Braselton will not be using Paragon. However, you can expect to continue to see the system in use at the Gainesville location.

The first two paragraphs highlight the wonderful culture there at NGHS, which has in turn resulted in a "Mass Exitus". In fact the primary reason that the ED chose to go to paper charting vs Paragon, was because more than half of the ED staff turned in notices they were quitting, many of these nurses simply to go work in retail or another non-medical field rather than stay and lose their license from Paragon. However, this decision to drop Paragon came much too late, so the ED was forced to eat the cost of Travel nurses for the next 6 months. Despite many offering to stay thru the holidays, the hospital let the travel nurses go before the new hires were even on their first day without a shadow, which leads us to our next problem.

Such a protest by the nurses must obviously be punished, so the ED issued a decree in early October stating that if you are absent or tardy more than twice (2 times) in 6 months, you will be fired. Let me elaborate, this is ANY absence or ANY tardy, not just unexcused. So going into November, if you get pneumonia or the flu (from those pesky sick patients in the ER), don't worry about coming to work when you feel better, you'll be fired. As if that was ludicrous enough, this decree was not just for the 6 months going forward, they looked at the 6 months prior to the rule and if you had more than 2 absences or tardy days (again even sick days, leave early for emergencies, or forgot to clock in, or flat tires) you were warned not to miss or be late another day for 6 months. How serious are they, I know of a few people who have already been fired. Two of these ladies because of the "backdating" I just mentioned. So here we are with 100's of PDO hours in case we get sick that we cannot use.

So just to recap, the thoughts going through a Nurse's mind at any given time is: I have 4 patients, 2 are stable and need to be discharged, we can't make them wait too long to be discharged because they will give me a bad review. I have had them all of 1 hour, but they spent 3 hours in the waiting room because they only have a cough, I hope I don't catch that because I can't be out sick or I will get fired, oh and they will give me a bad review for their wait time. Also I need to be 1 on 1 for the next 30 minutes with this patient while I start Levo in case they start to bleed, but then there's that other patient they just bedded back here I have not even seen yet. If she has to wait too long to see me they may give me a bad review. The printer is out of ink again, need to get that replaced because we are still paper charting, so I can't chart the procedures I am about to do or print discharge papers. I guess I will introduce myself and get vitals on this new patient; hopefully the Levo patient's BP doesn't spiral down.

I could go on, but these are the most asinine of the offenses which I think do a good job of conveying the culture you are in for if you come to the NGHS Emergency Department. However, staffing is a problem everywhere in the hospital thanks to Paragon and the Hotel satisfaction surveys. Also, note I only highlighted the failures of Paragon specific to ED, but the system itself is constantly down and just as buggy as the old system.

Advice to Management

A step in the right direction was when Director of the ED finally left. That man was an incompetent leader, and incapable of doing anything but yelling; he announced the ridiculous firing policy as well as wanting nurses with a patient complaint to be fired. He never once approached an issue with ears to listen, only with a loud mouth to yell and berate you. I would suggest replacing him with someone who has compassion not just for patients but also for nurses - the attitude of employees directly reflect leadership.

If you want patients to see happy nurses they need leaders who are calm and offer correction, but also acknowledge when hard work has been done. Nurses also need to feel safe at their job, that they have the adequate tools to care for patients, the adequate staff so they can give the attention necessary to patients, and devoid of a fear of being fired if they end up being "too human". The Nurses need to know someone is on their side.

Reverse these ridiculous absence rules; in fact a hospital should be more forgiving of employees being out SICK, considering it is their job that has most likely caused it to occur. Nurses rarely call out because they just want to, they should not call staffing just to be berated and begged to come in, they know if they are sick and they should not share their pathogens with other patients or staff.

Ditch Paragon and for the love of all things holy, fork over the money for EPIC. You are still failing to find an adequate system, when Children's Healthcare of Atlanta has been using EPIC for almost a decade. Get EPIC. Let me say that again - Get EPIC!

You must find a better way to measure "patient satisfaction" - I understand in this day and age everyone wants to measure everything so we can track progress, but I think we also need to come to grips with the fact that the purpose of an ER is to save your life or help you feel better, not fill your belly when you are hungry or bored.

Staffing - The ER is not an Old Navy with peak seasons and slow times, you can't anticipate a 3 care pile-up or an apartment fire, you don't know when flu season will actually start for this area and wait times will skyrocket, staff enough people to get the job done, and allow them to use their down time to work on continuing education or cross-training, it would be great if getting to take even 10 minutes to get food or go to the bathroom was the rule, not an exception.

On a good note, I like Carol Burrell. I have seen her step in to ease tensions a few times and I hope she challenges other senior leaders to take heed to these suggestions before NGHS is forced to close their doors.

poor pay, lots of warm bodies

Current Employee - Surgical Tech in Gainesville, GA
    Current Employee - Surgical Tech in Gainesville, GA

I have been working at Northeast Georgia Health System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

this is a great job in the OR if you need expirience to go to another job the docs are usually vey nice and will help if needed

Cons

administration thinks that they can play with the big dogs with little dog expirience ,pay is not that great, spouses are not covered by insurance if offered at their job , training is not that great, benefits are horrible, if you are not friend or family with management your screwed

Advice to Management

listen to employees that are not friends or family ,train people better, pay more

8. I loved working there

Former Employee - Birth Certificate Clerk/HIM TECH in Gainesville, GA
    Former Employee - Birth Certificate Clerk/HIM TECH in Gainesville, GA

I worked at Northeast Georgia Health System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and great coworkers and awesome environment

Cons

it was sometimes stressful but I guess it comes with working for a large company

HORRIBLE PLACE TO WORK

Current Employee - Pct in Gainesville, GA
    Current Employee - Pct in Gainesville, GA

I have been working at Northeast Georgia Health System full-time (less than a year)

Pros

i enjoyed working with the nurses and techs on my floor

Cons

where to start...."C" level mgnt horrible, unit manager horrible, they do not care if you want to advance (HR ACTUALLY SAID THAT TO ME), will not listen to your side over manager, they accused me of things i did not do and when i asked for them to show me proof they refused

Nice place to work; once you're in, it is very hard to be let go.

Former Employee - "Employee" In the Operating Room in Gainesville, GA
    Former Employee - "Employee" In the Operating Room in Gainesville, GA

I worked at Northeast Georgia Health System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Clean work environment and constantly given little appreciation gifts.
    Short of killing someone, your job is almost definitely secure. Management does NOT have the backbone to fire you ESPECIALLY if you play the race/sex/disability card(s).

Cons

You can have coworkers that are lazy, because they know they will not be fired. They know how to play the race/sex/disability card(s).

Advice to Management

Hire slowly (which you do for the most part).
    Fire quickly (which you do NOT do).
    Quit trying to be "competitive" with your wages and benefits. All that means is that you are the same as any other hospital. Instead, be excellent with your wages, BUT fire those people that you know very well should have been fired a LOOOOOOOOOOoooooong time ago. Believe me, we ALL see that you are too scared to stand up the hard working employees out of fear of a few playing said race/sex/disability card(s). They are abusing the system and it is bringing morality WAAAAaaaay down. Some doctors should be let go too!

11. Employee

I worked at Northeast Georgia Health System

Pros

Salary, Co-Workers, Flexible, Culture, Benefits

Cons

Limited room for growth or career advancement

Northeast Georgia Health System Photos